• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Clutch Vibration

SciaticNervePain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I just Got my mustang last week and I’ve been noticing some things here and there and wanted to ask you guys if it was normal. I’ve never owned a mustang prior to this one. I have Driven stick before and never noticed this, maybe because the cars had lawn mower engines? I can feel the engine on the clutch when I press It. Like if I’m at a red light and have the car in first and hold the clutch in I can Feel vibrations.

like I said I’m new to the mustangs so I’m not sure what is normal and what is not so I’m a bit paranoid. I got Freaked out with the Thump sound it makes sometimes when putting it in first but I’ve read that that’s pretty normal.
Sponsored

packfan021488

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Shadow Black GT PP
Fairly common for this happen with a brand new manual Trans happened to me when I got my S650 3 weeks ago. Mines almost gone the more you drive the car the quicker the clutch vibrations will go away and the clutch will feel normal. Guy at my dealer told me it may last for up to 1k miles but mines gotten significantly better and I only hit 300 miles today

OP
OP
SciaticNervePain

SciaticNervePain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Fairly common for this happen with a brand new manual Trans happened to me when I got my S650 3 weeks ago. Mines almost gone the more you drive the car the quicker the clutch vibrations will go away and the clutch will feel normal. Guy at my dealer told me it may last for up to 1k miles but mines gotten significantly better and I only hit 300 miles today
Thank you for replying. 🙌🏻 You just gave me an excuse to go for a ride and put more miles on it 🤣 If only gas wasn’t almost $7 a gallon here in California. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Unless impacting the driving of the car, I'd make note of anything of interest, but not be too concerned.

Each vehicle brand, model, even transmission, has it's own series of components and character. The MT in my truck is akin to driving a tractor. In the car? Short-throws, notchy, a bit of a diva until I get some heat into it and the gear oil. Clutch pedal feel and engagement between the two are wholly different.

There's also the break-in and seating of the transmission components and entire drivetrain. Gears, synchros and all that, along with the clutch. As it takes a bit of time to bed the brakes, the clutch takes some time as well.

The Tremec MT in my '22 is quite a bit different now than when I first picked it up. New, gears were at times difficult to select, up or downshifting. Over time, it's gotten better and better. Any positive qualities first witnessed have continued to strengthen, while any quirks or on-offs have faded or gone away entirely.

Edit: one aspect of the S650 which might have carried over from the S550 is the clutch assist release spring.

In the S550, if you get under the dash and look at the clutch pedal, there's an assist spring, as part of the assembly. Many S550 owners, myself included, didn't care for the "feel" of the factory clutch: it was an all or nothing experience. You couldn't feel when the clutch was going to engage or disengage. It had to do with the spring rate of the factory assembly. Some had no problem with the factory spring. Others, sought something else. I'm in the latter camp. I installed the Steeda release spring and appreciated the difference.

For now, I'd continue as-is. As more and more S650s are fielded and people chime in with their experiences, the topic of the spring will be discussed further. If eventually considering a replacement, it's a DIY job needing simple hand tools.

Last edited:

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Unless impacting the driving of the car, I'd make note of anything of interest, but not be too concerned.

Each vehicle brand, model, even transmission, has it's own series of components and character. The MT in my truck is akin to driving a tractor. In the car? Short-throws, notchy, a bit of a diva until I get some heat into it and the gear oil. Clutch pedal feel and engagement between the two are wholly different.

There's also the break-in and seating of the transmission components and entire drivetrain. Gears, synchros and all that, along with the clutch. As it takes a bit of time to bed the brakes, the clutch takes some time as well.

The Tremec MT in my '22 is quite a bit different now than when I first picked it up. New, gears were at times difficult to select, up or downshifting. Over time, it's gotten better and better. Any positive qualities first witnessed have continued to strengthen, while any quirks or on-offs have faded or gone away entirely.

Edit: one aspect of the S650 which might have carried over from the S550 is the clutch assist release spring.

In the S550, if you get under the dash and look at the clutch pedal, there's an assist spring, as part of the assembly. Many S550 owners, myself included, didn't care for the "feel" of the factory clutch: it was an all or nothing experience. You couldn't feel when the clutch was going to engage or disengage. It had to do with the spring rate of the factory assembly. Some had no problem with the factory spring. Others, sought something else. I'm in the latter camp. I installed the Steeda release spring and appreciated the difference.

For now, continue as-is. As more and more S650s are fielded and people chime in with their experiences, the topic of the spring will be discussed further. If eventually considering a replacement, it's a DIY job needing simple hand tools.
Not to mention seat placement.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Not to mention seat placement.
I agree. It wasn't a struggle. Kind of funny actually. But ya, it took quite a few times of me F-ing with all the different positions of the seat to where the pedal and leg action was just right.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I can feel the engine on the clutch when I press It. Like if I’m at a red light and have the car in first and hold the clutch in I can Feel vibrations.
What ever do you mean? Slipping or them there vibrations as in, good good good good vibraaations (as The Beach Boys would proclaim)?

OP
OP
SciaticNervePain

SciaticNervePain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
What ever do you mean? Slipping or them there vibrations as in, good good good good vibraaations (as The Beach Boys would proclaim)?
LOL... No slipping, holding the clutch in all the way while I wait for the light to turn green in first gear I can feel like a vibration here and there which I assume comes from the engine.

Smaaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Accord

For now, I'd continue as-is. As more and more S650s are fielded and people chime in with their experiences, the topic of the spring will be discussed further. If eventually considering a replacement, it's a DIY job needing simple hand tools.
This must be what I’m feeling with my ‘24 GT. It seems like the clutch pedal has an extra long travel, then suddenly engages at the end. Very hard to control precisely compared to other MTs I’ve driven.

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT 6spd
Yea i have under 200 miles on mine and feel it but that’s normal. And at stop lights man go to neutral. No reason to sit there with the clutch in unless you know the light is about to change.

OP
OP
SciaticNervePain

SciaticNervePain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Yea i have under 200 miles on mine and feel it but that’s normal. And at stop lights man go to neutral. No reason to sit there with the clutch in unless you know the light is about to change.
Forgot to mention that I sit in first gear sometimes to avoid getting the "THUMP" when putting it into first gear. I have read in different forums that this is normal but I don't like it. 😅

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
Forgot to mention that I sit in first gear sometimes to avoid getting the "THUMP" when putting it into first gear. I have read in different forums that this is normal but I don't like it. 😅
I get that sometimes, too. It comes and goes, worse if I'm still rolling just a little. Small potatoes to me. The car is so great everywhere else I'll accept a little bump going into gear.

Dxm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
The thump happens on every single manual transmission car. To avoid it, you need to rev-match it before you put the car into first gear, even if you are standing still. I always double-clutch when I have time to do so. So If I have time, I put the transmission in neutral, give it a little gas, then switch it into first. Some people put it in 2nd gear, then 1st gear to avoid that noise.
Sponsored