• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Car Wash

nname05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Ford Mustang GT Cali Spec
Is it normal for some water to come inside the car during the wash? I had water come in from the window area on both sides. I will say the water pressure was pretty strong.
Sponsored

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
I wouldn't think it should leak. You may have noticed when you close the door the window move up a little bit. It's possible the stop is set just a little low and it's not sealing correctly. You should make an appointment with Ford and see if they can tighten it up a bit.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
So as to help clarify what happened:

"...pressure was pretty strong." I've read one thread where a Member used a wand at full power and inadvertently stripped decals off the paint; this level of pressure will go past door window seals. At the other extreme, household hose pressure should not. Can you describe strength and how close to the area of concern? Automated or handheld?

"...window area..." On the doors, yes? Or another window?

It's a valid concern. I'd like to see if I could repeat it at home with a garden hose; the situation would allow me to control the variables better, and determine at what point and where something leaks.

Last edited:

Ryunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 convertible, 1971 Mach1
Is it normal for some water to come inside the car during the wash? I had water come in from the window area on both sides. I will say the water pressure was pretty strong.
If your ride is a convertible, then yes way normal. Convertibles during high pressure water will always leak a bit.

Problem with leaks during rain, that is a different story.

jeffnudi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang EcoBoost Prem. Conv., 2022 Mav Hy XLT
If your ride is a convertible, then yes way normal. Convertibles during high pressure water will always leak a bit.

I had a 2018 EcoBoost Premium convertible that probably went through automated car washes around 100 times and never had any leakage whatsoever, so I don't think it is fair to say that this leakage is "way normal."

scazea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT premium conv., 401a, Rapid Red
I had a 2018 EcoBoost Premium convertible that probably went through automated car washes around 100 times and never had any leakage whatsoever, so I don't think it is fair to say that this leakage is "way normal."
Same here. I had a 2020 Ecoboost conv, and I use carwash many times. Never had any leak. Current 2024 GT conv, was on a car wash only once (use detailing and hand wash since then) but had no leaks either...

Dxm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Were the windows all the way up? One time I parked my car and didn't realize that windows were slightly rolled down.... Drove like that for a few days!

Conhig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Prem Convertible
Iā€™ve owned 3 vert GTs since 2010 and have never had any water get past the seals, even in pouring rain at Highway speeds. Iā€™ve never taken one through a car wash so canā€™t comment on that.

OP
OP
nname05

nname05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So as to help clarify what happened:

"...pressure was pretty strong." I've read one thread where a Member used a wand at full power and inadvertently stripped decals off the paint; this level of pressure will go past door window seals. At the other extreme, household hose pressure should not. Can you describe strength and how close to the area of concern? Automated or handheld?

"...window area..." On the doors, yes? Or another window?

It's a valid concern. I'd like to see if I could repeat it at home with a garden hose; the situation would allow me to control the variables better, and determine at what point and where something leaks.
Yes, I went through an automatic car wash and during the rinse cycle the pressure was strong and it came in and got me wet as well. The windows were closed.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Yes, I went through an automatic car wash
Check. So, I'd say no, I would not expect any leakage.

If you can, follow-up with a hose at home. It could help find the specific point and visually see what might be going on, if it is not already obvious. It'd also confirm how low the pressure can be when it does leak.

Something most obvious would be how a seal was installed. Something not so obvious is how a seal lays or has settled since installation.

erocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT Premium, '09 Lexus IS250 AWD
Mine leaks on the passenger door out of the top of the trim just above the door handle while going through your standard "touch free" car wash. It's definitely not normal and it's going to get fixed at the dealer once it's out of storage. Driver side seems fine but I'll have them check it to make sure.

OP
OP
nname05

nname05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check. So, I'd say no, I would not expect any leakage.

If you can, follow-up with a hose at home. It could help find the specific point and visually see what might be going on, if it is not already obvious. It'd also confirm how low the pressure can be when it does leak.

Something most obvious would be how a seal was installed. Something not so obvious is how a seal lays or has settled since installation.
So when I re-washed the car at home I didnā€™t have any leaks. I will try again at home and have someone sit inside.

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT/CS, C6 Corvette, 1997 GT Convertable
My 1997 doesn't leak, so a 2024 shouldn't

rvercoe218

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 convertible

I have owned 3 convertibles... not one has leaked!
Sponsored