• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Can someone link me an optimal wheel / tire set up?

SoggyBottomBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Ill figure winter tires out later, I just want a good setup to replace the stock tires & wheels as everyone says they're trash.
Sponsored

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
most michelins and continentals are pretty good. i personally run Pilot Sport 4S

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
Recommended wheel set up for year around?
depends on where you live. if you're not in the southwest (phoenix, san diego, etc) you will need different winter tires. if you are in the southwest or generally somewhere that does not get below about 40F when you drive, you can use some of the "summer" compounds year-round. i swear by the Pilot Sport 4S because it does great on the road in wet and dry, and can do autocross pretty well. i live in AZ so i have no idea what a good winter tire is, but i've heard good things about the michelin X-Ice Snow, but they only make it in widths up to 255

OP
OP

SoggyBottomBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
depends on where you live. if you're not in the southwest (phoenix, san diego, etc) you will need different winter tires. if you are in the southwest or generally somewhere that does not get below about 40F when you drive, you can use some of the "summer" compounds year-round. i swear by the Pilot Sport 4S because it does great on the road in wet and dry, and can do autocross pretty well. i live in AZ so i have no idea what a good winter tire is, but i've heard good things about the michelin X-Ice Snow, but they only make it in widths up to 255
Personally I've never owned "winter" tires, living in ohio & ky, even tho it snows regularly ( prob should tho)

is there not a tire that's good for both winter and summer?

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
Personally I've never owned "winter" tires, living in ohio & ky, even tho it snows regularly ( prob should tho)

is there not a tire that's good for both winter and summer?
im sure there's a tire that is alright for both, but any more than "alright" is asking the impossible. what makes a good summer tire makes a horrible winter tire and vice versa

OP
OP

SoggyBottomBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
im sure there's a tire that is alright for both, but any more than "alright" is asking the impossible. what makes a good summer tire makes a horrible winter tire and vice versa
gotcha. And what about wheels? 18, 19, 20's? 9, 10, 11? same front back, different?

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
gotcha. And what about wheels? 18, 19, 20's? 9, 10, 11? same front back, different?
really up to you. just know that 20" wheels will have a rougher ride than 19". i can't recommend my setup because it's 19X11" front, 19X12" rear and the rear tires alone are ~$1500 to replace both. i do recommend something like a 19X9.5" front, 19X10" or 19X11" rear setup, because that gives you enough width without going into the rare and expensive tire range

OP
OP

SoggyBottomBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
really up to you. just know that 20" wheels will have a rougher ride than 19". i can't recommend my setup because it's 19X11" front, 19X12" rear and the rear tires alone are ~$1500 to replace both. i do recommend something like a 19X9.5" front, 19X10" or 19X11" rear setup, because that gives you enough width without going into the rare and expensive tire range
and does that wheel size/setup work for both summer and winter?

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
and does that wheel size/setup work for both summer and winter?
it depends on what winter tires you're looking at. summer tires are generally offered in a lot more widths so don't worry about that too much. there's so many factors, i encourage you to do your own research on tires and wheel widths, there's no end to the forum posts online that may lead you to something you like

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium, 2024 GT Premium ordered
The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 All Season is a great tire in both hot and cold, rain, snow and otherwise. Highly regarded. Won't be as good as the best summer only tire in the summer, or the best winter only tire in the winter, but so good that I got rid of my summer only tires. It's the OEM tire on the Corvette. They are better than many summer-only and winter-only tires, like the stock Pirelli P-Zeros.

OP
OP

SoggyBottomBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 All Season is a great tire in both hot and cold, rain, snow and otherwise. Highly regarded. Won't be as good as the best summer only tire in the summer, or the best winter only tire in the winter, but so good that I got rid of my summer only tires. It's the OEM tire on the Corvette. They are better than many summer-only and winter-only tires, like the stock Pirelli P-Zeros.
Nice, I'll have to consider these strongly. I'm not really worried about having THE BEST of any tire type, just want something reliable for both. What would a wheel size setup be that works for both winter and summer? I know too wide is bad for winter.

Mastermind46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Xterra, 2001 Chevy Silverado
There is another thread on here that posted a tire comparison with data for these tires and dedicated summer and winter tires. I cannot believe how well the pilot sport all season 4's did across the board including in snow.

Project6GR Wheels

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Ill figure winter tires out later, I just want a good setup to replace the stock tires & wheels as everyone says they're trash.
Michelin Pilot Sport all season 4 are really good! Are you looking for a 19'' or 20'' setup?

OP
OP

SoggyBottomBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Michelin Pilot Sport all season 4 are really good! Are you looking for a 19'' or 20'' setup?
Probably 19, but I'm not happy with 8.5 wheels that come stock with the GT, so need to decide on a new wheel first.
Sponsored