• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Buying a car out of state

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 GT Convertible 401A, AVE, Brembos
So for the first time since I started this journey I have actually come across the exact spec'd Mustang I have been looking for. It's hard to find non-PP convertible GT Premiums with manual transmission. The one I found is exactly what I wanted, right down to the color. 401A, Brembos, Active Exhaust, stick convertible. The problem is the car is in Missouri and I'm in Maryland. That's >13 hour drive each way.

Not sure if I'll go after it, but curious to hear some experiences from folks who did travel long distances to get their Mustang. My issue is compounded because I have a trade, so that eliminates the flying out / driving back scenario. I also wonder about taxes, titling, etc. Would I have to pay the tax on the car in MO and then on top of it pay in MD? I have no clue how it works. Around here the states all work together. So I could buy a car in VA, DE, PA and they would title in in MD. But I'm sure Missouri has no such arrangement.

Anyway, curious to hear how it works from folks that have done it and would they do it again?
Sponsored

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
If you pay the tax in the state you perchased the car you will only pay the difference if your state is more. Some states issue a temp tag and then you pay tax in the state you reside in. Your purchasing dealer should have all this info and be able to answer your concerns.

All Terrain NAtion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
If you pay the tax in the state you perchased the car you will only pay the difference if your state is more. Some states issue a temp tag and then you pay tax in the state you reside in. Your purchasing dealer should have all this info and be able to answer your concerns.
Pretty much spot on.. We ordered ours in MI but live in TN. They issues us a transportation tag for 60 days and we had to pay the tax difference when registering the car. Its pretty simple

OP
OP
samson

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 GT Convertible 401A, AVE, Brembos
If it wasn't for my trade I would totally fly out there and drive it back. But the uncertainty of the trade sort of throws it off. Basically if they don't give me what I want for my car I've wasted a trip out there.

2024S650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 S550
You can pay them to just transfer your tag from your car. Likely the dealer uses a “service” that handles out of state buyers to facilitate the DMV transaction. I bought my car out of state, they collected the VA taxes at the sale which are paid to DMV in VA when the car is titles and the tags are transferred. The dealer collected too much for taxes at the sale, I tried correcting them but was told thats what they were told to collect. Anyway I am sure getting my $265 will be painful. Other than that it was fairly painless. Just communicate with the dealer ahead of time to understand whats going to happen and how.

Rio Lobo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
some will collect the tax for your state. others will leave that up to you to pay when you get home. I would sell your trade locally via Carmax, Carvana, Vroom, or Give me the vin. That way you are not locked into the trade in value offered by the dealership where you're getting your mustang. Then fly out and drive back. It'll be the shortest 13 hr trip you've ever taken

Jpbrown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang
I bought a 2020 GT from a dealer in Franklin TN. I live in GA. Was trading an Acura MDX 2017. We did the trade on the phone when I told him it would be 4 days before I could be there, he delivered the new car to me and carried my trade back. They send tax/tag amount to my state. Worked fine. For 2024, found the car I wanted in Asheville NC. Traded the 2020. Again did trade over the phone. It was in transit so I had to wait a week and a half for it to get to them. I drove the 100plus miles to pick it up and leave my trade. They looked up what to send my county for tax and sent it to my county office in a week.

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
I bought a 2020 GT from a dealer in Franklin TN. I live in GA. Was trading an Acura MDX 2017. We did the trade on the phone when I told him it would be 4 days before I could be there, he delivered the new car to me and carried my trade back. They send tax/tag amount to my state. Worked fine. For 2024, found the car I wanted in Asheville NC. Traded the 2020. Again did trade over the phone. It was in transit so I had to wait a week and a half for it to get to them. I drove the 100plus miles to pick it up and leave my trade. They looked up what to send my county for tax and sent it to my county office in a week.
Sounds like you're from my neck of the woods. I called Franklin Ford to order, but they wanted ADM for DH. Salesman pissed me off so bad I didn't want to try ordering again when I settled on a GT. Said it before, but I'll say it again: dealer experience with Town & Country Ford in Pell City, AL has been so good I might just buy all my future Fords there. Only problem is where to get warranty work done as they're 3 hours from me. 🤔

Back on topic, bought my wife's Acura across state lines. No problems at all. Easy transaction and no problems at my county tag office. I say go for it! Ordered my S650 across state lives and didn't even think about it. You get to a point where you're chasing good customer service and the car you want.

Lastoutlaw_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia stinger and hyundai tucson hybrid
Sounds like you're from my neck of the woods. I called Franklin Ford to order, but they wanted ADM for DH. Salesman pissed me off so bad I didn't want to try ordering again when I settled on a GT. Said it before, but I'll say it again: dealer experience with Town & Country Ford in Pell City, AL has been so good I might just buy all my future Fords there. Only problem is where to get warranty work done as they're 3 hours from me. 🤔

Back on topic, bought my wife's Acura across state lines. No problems at all. Easy transaction and no problems at my county tag office. I say go for it! Ordered my S650 across state lives and didn't even think about it. You get to a point where you're chasing good customer service and the car you want.
You could take it to Jim Ellis, I had a friend who moved from Texas and needed warranty work and had no issues with them. But that was in 2019. Some ford dealers are nice to do warranty work even if you didn't buy from them. They might prioritize those who brought from them first tho.

Maverick128

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Ecoboost In Atlas Blue with Nite Pony
I’m planning on buying out of state, kinda. I plan on ordering the car at my dealer in Illinois, with any loyalty bonuses and their lifetime powertrain warranty, and then move to Georgia this week. Whenever the car is ready, (I’m hoping late February,) I’ll fly back up here and get to know my new car with a nice roadtrip. Possibly with an extra stop or two. I’ve already got my Spotify playlist ready. They said it shouldn’t be an issue to take care of GA stuff. I just need to remind them I don’t need a front plate bracket when it comes time.
Sponsored