• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Oh, I got my 'stubby' nozzle for my DeWalt blower. This will make it 10x easier to use and way easier to store in the container in the trunk:

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List 1715787983283-gt
Sponsored

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Broke out the new Active 2.0 for the first time yesterday. No pics of me using it, but the results were outstanding. Nice having the correct pressure, 2.0+ gpm of water, and no running gas engine.

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List 20240525_163659

ZBOBMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible
Broke out the new Active 2.0 for the first time yesterday. No pics of me using it, but the results were outstanding. Nice having the correct pressure, 2.0+ gpm of water, and no running gas engine.

20240525_163659.jpg
Nice ride. How hard is it to keep the black clean? How often do you wash? Had a black f150 as a daily driver. Could never keep it shinny.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice ride. How hard is it to keep the black clean? How often do you wash? Had a black f150 as a daily driver. Could never keep it shinny.
The last 3/4 mile between the main road and our house is dirt. It is an absolute chore to keep clean, but I knew this ahead of time: Not only is my 2021 F150 black, but 11 out of the last 13 new vehicles I've bought (for myself) since 2006 have been black.

I generally wash it at after every other time I drive it (at minimum). It's not my daily driver, so I might drive it a couple times a week or less.

More often than not, after I leave in the AM, I will swing by the local wand/hand wash car wash. I'll spray it down (rinse only) and then grab the Dewalt blower out of the truck. The ceramic coating really makes that easy.

ZBOBMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The last 3/4 mile between the main road and our house is dirt. It is an absolute chore to keep clean, but I knew this ahead of time: Not only is my 2021 F150 black, but 11 out of the last 13 new vehicles I've bought (for myself) since 2006 have been black.

I generally wash it at after every other time I drive it (at minimum). It's not my daily driver, so I might drive it a couple times a week or less.

More often than not, after I leave in the AM, I will swing by the local wand/hand wash car wash. I'll spray it down (rinse only) and then grab the Dewalt blower out of the truck. The ceramic coating really makes that easy.
I need an honest mans opinion. To dry your car, you use a leaf blower on your ceramic protected vehicle. How well does this work? Do you have to hand dry some portions after you air dry? Sounds to good to be true.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I need an honest mans opinion. To dry your car, you use a leaf blower on your ceramic protected vehicle. How well does this work? Do you have to hand dry some portions after you air dry? Sounds to good to be true.
Nothing to hand dry when I'm done - hydrophobic means just that.

The only spots I might need to do a quick wipe with a microfiber cloth might would be around a mirror, door handle, or from the spoiler. If I didn't blow *all* the water out and a few drops came down when I opened and closed the door or trunk, I'd just hit it with the cloth. That's it.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
This drying method can be used on any LSP (last-step-product), but its most effective with a ceramic coating. Depending on how particular you are, you may or may not want to follow up with a towel after using the blower.

Personally, I use the blower as a first step to remove the bulk of the water, then follow up with a towel and drying aid. The idea here is you aren't trying to mop up all the water with the towel, meaning you use less towels or don't need to wring out the towel half way through.

You can use any form of compressed air of blower depending on what you already have or want to buy.

At the top end, there are a range of detailing blow dryers. These filter and heat the air, then channel it in a more focuses point, allowing you to more effectively drive the water off the surface. However, they are more cumbersome and bulkier to use, you also need to manage the power cord and blower hose. If you want to go this route, I would go all the way to the top and look at the twin-motor Big Boi models to get the most from this option.

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List IMG-1824

Most tool brands offer a small blower skin, these can work just fine for this role. They are compact, easy to manage and generally effective. I could do an entire Mustang with a single 5.0 ah battery, I also found them great for door jambs. But, they take longer to do the job and be quite noisy.

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List IMG-E1320

The most popular and convenient is the use of a leaf blower. While this can apply to a gas or electric leaf blower, a battery powered unit would be preferred. Using a battery leaf blower is quick and convenient, you don't need to manage a cord or hose and can do double duty elsewhere around the house. I lean towards EGO blowers, in particular the 765, I'd avoid the 530 as its a bit lean for this role and has an annoying throttle lag.

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List IMG-4999

If you do go the leaf blower route, then I would highly suggest a stubby nozzle to make the process easier and safer. You can get these for most of the key brands on the market.

Stubby nozzle co - Etsy Australia

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List IMG-5849

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List IMG-5911

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List IMG-0906

ZBOBMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AWSOME. After 40 years of hand drying, I will try this method. Thanks a bunch for the positive feedback. Will give you a full report next time the stang gets washed.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
AWSOME. After 40 years of hand drying, I will try this method. Thanks a bunch for the positive feedback. Will give you a full report next time the stang gets washed.
It'll take you a few goes to figure out the most efficient way to drive the water off the car, so stick with it.

In theory, you start with the roof, move down to the front and rear glass, the scuttle and hood, front quarters and front bumper/grill, doors, truck and bumper, wheels/arches as you move around the car. Door jambs last.
Sponsored