• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

18" vs 19" Wheels - Ride Quality, etc?

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
I was wondering if anyone can comment on 18" vs 19" wheels on the Mustang. I'm most likely going with an EB and that now comes with 18" wheels as standard. I am looking at a package that would increase the wheel size to 19" (255 40 19). I don't have any experience with 19" wheels so I was wondering if the ride quality, tire wear,etc would be much different? Also what about hitting potholes? I live in Michigan and our roads are trash and I try to avoid potholes but sometimes stuff happens. I really like the looks of the 19" wheels but not sure what problems and costs that may or may not add?
Sponsored

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
The ride could be a bit better with 18 inch wheels and you will reduce the risk of cutting a tire on a pot hole. Fast corners might not be as firm with 18 inch and they don't look as cool.
I have reduced the risk of cutting by running 4 extra pounds in the tire but at the cost of a rougher ride.

Dxm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Smaller wheels = much smoother ride. I am def. noticing the difference since I went to smaller wheels. Goes over speed bumps a lot better, as well as potholes.

OP
OP

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Smaller wheels = much smoother ride. I am def. noticing the difference since I went to smaller wheels. Goes over speed bumps a lot better, as well as potholes.
What size wheels do you have now compared to what you had previously?

cstraley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang GT , 24 Tundra, 2023 M240i, 23 QX80
I run 19's and am very happy with them but in reality smaller wheels should improve ride/fuel economy and possibly road damage. Larger wheels look and handle better. It's a trade-off.
Sponsored