• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Gas Guzzler Tax

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
In other words, it’s ok to smoke as long as you have your own filter? If 1k is all the diff the function makes seems the pin heads in finance need to chat up the epa and come up with some real figures to justify the added cost to both the manufacturers and the consumer. Manipulation of behavior based upon assumed actions without training results in mandates?
Sponsored

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know. Atleast it can be turned off permanently and you save 1,000 on gas guzzler. Otherwise I would not buy the car.
Auto stop/start is what helps Ford meet government fuel mileage standards. If they don't meet them, they get to pay a penalty: The Gas Guzzler Tax (GGT). They are simply passing that penalty along to you. A combined estimated mileage of less than 22.5 mpg triggers the GGT. The further you sink below that number, the bigger the GGT.

Don't blame Ford (or any other manufacturer). Blame the clowns in DC. The GGT came from the 1978 Energy Tax Act.

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
Anyone actually ever see. Stop//start improve gas mileage? I’ve never seen it.
it's worth 1mpg is you're lucky. But it tears the beejeepers out of your engine so it fails much much sooner than it ever should. So it's an unmitigated disaster for the ecology. But when did that ever stop "well meaning" people.

Your fellow Congress-scum voted to illegally cede their law making to the "executive agencies" so no vote would be held on the floor on the contents of Agency rule-making. That way they get to hand-wring for the cameras and pretend they care, but it's all Kabuki. If they gave a damn about the "votors" they would zero these agencies and un-cede their power. Then all these clean-Air regs and fuel efficiency standards would be discussed on camera in front of the country. And boku sheckles would cross palms to keep the edicts "sensible" for industry.

Last edited:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But it tears the beejeepers out of your engine so it fails much much sooner than it ever should.
I've owned MANY vehicles with auto stop/start, and have put many, many miles on most of them. While I despise auto stop/start, I can unequivocally say that I have NEVER experienced one single engine failure or starter failure.

Further, I have NEVER known a single person who has experienced engine failure or starter failure due to auto stop/start.

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
I have NEVER known a single person who has experienced engine failure or starter failure due to auto stop/start.
your sample size is too small/short. There were studies and tear downs at the fleet level that showed severely advanced wear vs control. No, I don't have a handy citation.

It's a STUPID and ineffectual solution to a non-existent problem. You want to improve emissions in stop-n-go traffic, incentivize to remove the traffic concentration.

steyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT PP1 Rapid Red
It is because they are now putting start/stop on the mustangs.
My GT was made in December '23 and doesn't have auto start/stop, and mine didn't require me to pay the gas guzzler tax. I have the A10, active valve exhaust, Perf Pack, etc

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
your sample size is too small/short. There were studies and tear downs at the fleet level that showed severely advanced wear vs control. No, I don't have a handy citation.

It's a STUPID and ineffectual solution to a non-existent problem. You want to improve emissions in stop-n-go traffic, incentivize to remove the traffic concentration.
Your opinion is duly noted. AFAIC, when neither I nor anyone else I know about has experienced this, that's all that matters to me. Our pocketbooks were not affected by this myth.

Oh, and making a claim and then saying you don't have a citation means it's worth absolutely nothing.

Do feel free to update with a cite and convince me otherwise.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My GT was made in December '23 and doesn't have auto start/stop, and mine didn't require me to pay the gas guzzler tax. I have the A10, active valve exhaust, Perf Pack, etc
What does your window sticker say? You need combined city/hwy mileage of 22.5 mpg or better to avoid the tax.

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
Oh, and making a claim and then saying you don't have a citation means it's worth absolutely nothing.
I'm aware of that. I read thousands of references, and don't bookmark them for later. If I happen to stumble across what I read, I will gladly post.

Hmm, maybe I should just ask ChatGPT. It's read everything ever written so it should be able to regurgitate the article for me in summarized form. :)

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT 6spd
Why not? All the car brands that have start stop in their vehicles also include manuals.

It only makes no sense if you have no clue about manual vehicles. My 13 year old manual has start stop.

Do you make stupid assumptions all the time?
Sponsored