• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Would anyone like to see Ford use the 7.3L Godziila V8 in a Mustang, resurrecting the Boss 429?

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Boat anchor with a stupid high deck and intake height. No......
Sponsored

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
All you people talking trash on the 7.3 ...meanwhile Cleetus bolted one into a foxbody added turbos and its going 7s

That being said I don't think Ford will drop it in

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
5.2 aluminator and a tremec. Digital dash with an oil pressure gauge instead of vacuum. GT350 recaros. Rear seat delete.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
All you people talking trash on the 7.3 ...meanwhile Cleetus bolted one into a foxbody added turbos and its going 7s

My dude, if I dumped 5 grand into turbo charging my maverick hybrid, it would probably walk a mustang 5.0. that doesn't mean the 2.5 inline 4 hybrid system would be a good choice for the mustang. I prefer engines that are impressive out of the gate, not ones you have to put thousands into before seeing strong results.

Hell, I'd argue the 2.5 hybrid is a better option for the mustang than the 7.3 is. The 2.5 is actually a sports car motor, it's the engine Mazda used in the Miata just with a electric motor attached. You could easily turn that into a 5 second 0-60 powertrain for the mustang with a few lines of code and a handful of small upgrades.

The 7.3 is a tall, heavy, sluggish heavy duty truck engine, that doesn't offer a single benefit you can't get with the 5.0. Ford would spend millions of dollars to lightening, and improving that engine, just to end up with an inferior 5.0 at the end of the day. Why spend all that money trying to make an average engine into a good one, when you can invest in something like the 5.0 and make a great engine even better?

erocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT Premium, '09 Lexus IS250 AWD
I do know they're making "performance" versions of the block in Windsor right now. Most likely for long block options through Ford Performance, but who knows?

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
My dude, if I dumped 5 grand into turbo charging my maverick hybrid, it would probably walk a mustang 5.0. that doesn't mean the 2.5 inline 4 hybrid system would be a good choice for the mustang. I prefer engines that are impressive out of the gate, not ones you have to put thousands into before seeing strong results.

Hell, I'd argue the 2.5 hybrid is a better option for the mustang than the 7.3 is. The 2.5 is actually a sports car motor, it's the engine Mazda used in the Miata just with a electric motor attached. You could easily turn that into a 5 second 0-60 powertrain for the mustang with a few lines of code and a handful of small upgrades.
isn't the 2.5 hybrid an Atkinson cycle engine? it seems like tuning or modding the 2.5 really is hardly a thing at all. the one thing i could find was someone who swapped a Lincoln Corsair 2.3 EcoBoost plus other mods into their Maverick and now it does 12.9 sec 1/4 mile.

in any case, i agree. you can throw money at just about any engine and have something impressive, just ask the guys who defend the 6.0 Power Stroke despite the fact you need to do everything short of changing the engine to get it even somewhat good. putting the 7.3 in the Mustang just sounds stupid. we already have a DOHC engine that is doing 100hp/L from factory and can take something like double that before issues arise on stock internals, all while weighing less than the 7.3's nearly 600 lbs. then there's the issues of fuel economy, the Dark Horse already has a $1300 gas guzzler tax and i seriously doubt an engine with the combined displacement of the V8 and I4 Mustang options will get anything close to that while being good for a performance car

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-73

It's already a crate motor weighing under 600 lbs. Add a high performance variable camshaft, lighter weight flywheel, high performance tune, E85 capable, balanced internals, roots blower and things could get real interesting. Keep in mind, too, that the Coyote has massive heads and takes up a lot of room in the engine bay. The pushrod design Godzilla is likely to fit pretty easily. The real question is: Is there room for a new name? Boss 445 (Boss 5 for short)?

Last edited:

6String

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT
It doesn't seem likely, that Ford would stick the 7.3L in a production Mustang. The V8 Mustang might be a dying breed, thanks to government regulation.:frown:

However, if the Boss name is to be resurrected, my preference would be to create a Boss 351. It has a Mustang history (1971, a 351/5.8L pony). Ford built a 5.8L (the Trinity 2013/2014 was actually 354CI, I think) for a short run in the GT500. The aluminum block 5.8L was an offshoot of the 4.6L modular, if I remember correctly. Good power, built for forced induction, it definitely fits the Mustang heritage and a Mustang engine bay.

IFFV68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Limited
Sure, why not? It’s not going to happen but it’s nice to dream.
How about an old school Short Block 427?
Or a Big Block 427?
Even a 427 CAMMER would give people a chance at a Heart Attack.
I knew a guy who had two of them.
He had one in a 1967 Fairlane., 636 horses. The other CAMMER put out 619 horse 🐎. Were talking about elevation over 5,000 ft.
A Denver Police Officer stopped him for speeding.
He heard the 427 idle, walked up to my friend, shocked his head. Turned around and left.
What Fun.
Getting older has some advantages.
If you younger Muscle Car 🚗 people have never heard CAMMER idle.
Please find one on utube. They idle so rough you wonder how it runs.
Sorry to ramble. Showing my age.
Sun Loy.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I was going to link this video also!!

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love that in one thread....

Shelby?? get out of here boomer!! Dark Horse for life!!

Now in another.....

Boss 429?? YES LFG!!!!

You all S650 people are confusing me.....or it could just be that Im getting old and confused more easily lol
Sponsored