• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Wireless Phone Charger draining battery?

Southpaw78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX
I've been using the wireless charger each time I've driven the car and I have yet to see and increase in the charge. The phone just seems to get hot and the battery level is always noticeable lower. Anyone notice the same?
Sponsored

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
If I have Android Auto connected my phone gets hot and charges slowly. If I turn Android Auto off the phone charges quicker but still tends to get a little hot.

If you have a cover on your phone it could interfere with charging. I had the metal plate on mine for a magnetic phone holder and had problems getting the phone charged. Took the plate off and it charges fine with my cover on now.

Steadyvw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang ecoboost
I've been using the wireless charger each time I've driven the car and I have yet to see and increase in the charge. The phone just seems to get hot and the battery level is always noticeable lower. Anyone notice the same?
I thought it was just me. I made sure that I took my phone cover off, positioned my phone correctly on the charger, but the phone still looses and doesn't gain charge.

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
my phone charges very slowly, but im also running Android Auto whenever im in the car which runs off the wifi in the phone. if your having heating issues and the battery isnt charging thats probably why.

Decio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible
Is wireless charging on? On an Android phone, it's under Battery --> More Battery Settings --> Fast wireless charging.

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
my phone charges very slowly, but im also running Android Auto whenever im in the car which runs off the wifi in the phone. if your having heating issues and the battery isnt charging thats probably why.

The heating issues have nothing to do with not charging.
That is just how these chargers are.
AA uses a lot of power when wireless and the charger can not keep up. The charger is also not a very good one as it heats the phone up no matter what case or if you are connected to the vehicle.

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
The heating issues have nothing to do with not charging.
That is just how these chargers are.
AA uses a lot of power when wireless and the charger can not keep up. The charger is also not a very good one as it heats the phone up no matter what case or if you are connected to the vehicle.
Agreed

Stangerous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium, 2020 Mustang GT Premium c
Same here, I’ve also noticed that the center screen gets super hot on the back. I thought it was front the sun but today was cloudy and raining and it was still very hot to the touch.

ArthurJGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 GTO, '06 GTO, '22 Expy, '22 F-250, '24 Mustang
Wireless charging can't charge as fast as Android Auto/Carplay discharges, so the charge will go down, just much slower than it would if it were not charging at all.

I have two 2022 Fords and they are both this way.

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT

That thread is really no help at all. This is just how the factory wireless charging is. There is no "spacer" that has to be installed. Moving the phone around has no effect on how it charges, that is not the way the charger works.

I just got a new phone and it fits perfectly in tray with no room for a "spacer" and it still heats ups.

I just don't use the wireless charging and keep a cable in the car if I need it.

This has been a problem for a long time now. I will say on certain phones it is very bad for...ie Samang Fold's.
Sponsored