• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Proper usage of the wireless charger

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Like others on the site I have had difficulty getting the wireless charger to work with my iPhone. It would charge slow and the phone would get hot. By accident, I discovered it was user error. The proper procedure for using the charger is to place your phone as far forward in the cradle as it will go. Next you need to center it left to right in the cradle the best you can. The antenna small so if the phone isn't centered correctly it will induce current in the case resulting in heating instead of a charge. I found in the three mile drive to work I could boost the charge by about 10% which is probably faster than my plug in charger without heating.
I am thinking about making small spacers for the side to prevent the phone from sliding during spirted driving.
Sponsored

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I don't know about this. I have looked into the charging pad for a while now and pretty much gave up on it. I never had any slow charging issues but did have heat issues that caused me to stop using the charging pad and not put 1 in my wife's Bronco.

It doesn't sound like user error at all but a bad design as many have found out with the Bronco too.

User error would not have the user adding spacers to center the phone on a pad that the phone doesn't need to be centered on.

ArthurJGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 GTO, '06 GTO, '22 Expy, '22 F-250, '24 Mustang
There should be a little spacer at the bottom that pushes your phone forward, it might not have been installed in PDF.

ZBOBMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible
I found that you have a phone case and the plastic/rubber mat, it makes charging difficult. Removing the plastic/rubber mat and leaving the phone case on helps the charging process.

thelostone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang
The 12v socket makes it harder to charge my phone because it’s in the way when I put my phone on the wireless charger ..bad design

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Do MagSafe cases work better/worse?

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I have an iPhone 14 Pro (read: non-Max) and an Otterbox Slim with a Pop Socket integrated case. It's a hit/miss on the wireless charger pad working. It works better if I remove the case from the phone, but that seems a bit excessive. Also, with wireless charging, case or no case, your phone will get/feel a lot hotter regardless.

OP
OP

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
I have an iPhone 14 Pro (read: non-Max) and an Otterbox Slim with a Pop Socket integrated case. It's a hit/miss on the wireless charger pad working. It works better if I remove the case from the phone, but that seems a bit excessive. Also, with wireless charging, case or no case, your phone will get/feel a lot hotter regardless.
I have an iPhone mini in an otter box that I charged in the case. It is possible for the case to be thicker in a larger phone. I also have only tried it once for a relatively short time. I was reading the specs for a 14 pro (another problem) and it said it could charge at up to 15 watts. That's a lot of juice for something so small. Even 5 watts would be a healthy charge for a phone. I don't mind if it takes a few hours to charge my phone as long as it's getting charged so I do most of my charging with the small factory charger.

5.0ALM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV4 Cruiser, S650 allocated, waiting...
For maximum efficiency, the device's induction loop (referred to as the "antenna" above) needs to be centrally located above the charger pad's induction loop, and with minimal distance between. (ie; thick cases are bad).

S650 Mustang Proper usage of the wireless charger Wireless-Charging-Technology-1-1000x603

Poor alignment (or increased distance between) means reduced efficiency, which results in heat (wasted energy) and extended charging times.

I do a lot of travel (domestic and international) with work and went through a phase of using a flat Qi charging pad in the hotel room, ultimately the same as what's fitted in vehicles.

S650 Mustang Proper usage of the wireless charger 20240211_113736

Ignore the hazard tape.
This was only to make the charger pad more visible so it wasn't left behind when checking out.
Black things tend to be harder to see when packing your junk up, and easily left behind - ask me how I know. :facepalm:

All of these charging pads are finicky with device placement.
Off by a cm or so (½" for you Merican folks) and it stopped working.

S650 Mustang Proper usage of the wireless charger 20240211_113732

These desktop Qi chargers are great (I have 5 scattered over the place), but aren't suited to a vehicle center console.
(The device becoming a hazard under hard acceleration/braking)

S650 Mustang Proper usage of the wireless charger 20240211_113719

Trial and error placement, or try Googling for a "tear down" of your specific phone model.

In my example, a Samsung Galaxy S23+, we can see the induction coil is horizontally central, but less than half way up vertically. Confirming that some length-ways offset is required on a flat charger pad.

S650 Mustang Proper usage of the wireless charger ZHT6GmTgjnZar31i

Custom spacers is great idea. :like:

You want to be able to drop your phone into it, and it will stay located, even when driving through twisties.

This might be a good excuse to buy a 3D printer, and fab a custom surround!

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT/CS, C6 Corvette, 1997 GT Convertable
I have zero issues with the charging pads in any of my vehicles. I just don’t put a case on the phone and I don’t have any problems.

Snakeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 GT Vert, 2011 Shelby GT500 Vert, 2020 BMW X5
Like others on the site I have had difficulty getting the wireless charger to work with my iPhone. It would charge slow and the phone would get hot. By accident, I discovered it was user error. The proper procedure for using the charger is to place your phone as far forward in the cradle as it will go. Next you need to center it left to right in the cradle the best you can. The antenna small so if the phone isn't centered correctly it will induce current in the case resulting in heating instead of a charge. I found in the three mile drive to work I could boost the charge by about 10% which is probably faster than my plug in charger without heating.
I am thinking about making small spacers for the side to prevent the phone from sliding during spirted driving.
My Samsung S10 w plain case charges intermittently and gets relatively warm. With my BMW, no issues, fast and barely gets warm. So obviously it's Fords crappie charger.
I will try pushing forward assuming u mean towards the dash. Thanks for the post
Sponsored