• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Will lowering springs void manufacturers warranty

***WILL LOWERING SPRINGS VOID MANUFACTURERS WARRANTY***

• Total voters

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Atlas Blue
A friend of mine is hell bent on trying to convince me that installing lowering springs on my 2024 GT, will void the Ford Bumper/Bumper, Engine and Powertrain, factory warranty. Which i firmly believe is not true, but i want to see your votes to show him that it is farfetched to settle the debate.

A master Tech once explained to me when i needed a water pump on my 2015 Mustang GT, that had a list of modifications including a tune, that unless they can prove that X=Y, that nearly all the time they will honor the warranty, which stood true as i had over $3,000 in work done, covered by warranty.

But like i said, can anyone else vouch one way or the other? No matter what, the springs go on Saturday at noon!
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
From the 2022 Ford Warranty Guide:

"Damage Caused by Alteration or Modification

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage caused by:

• alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis, electronics or their components, after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company"

I key in on the words, "...any damage caused by..." and feel Ford has to show a relationship between the modifications and the failed, factory components.

So, "Maybe." IMO, while changing the springs or the suspension will not void the bumper-to-bumper warranty, it will absolve the dealer and Ford from warrantying any of the suspension, tires, possibly the brakes.

These issues can be somewhat complicated by the relationship the person has with the dealer and the Service Manager. If you have a good relationship or they are performance-oriented, that helps even more. Further, saying only as much as you have to and keeping a low social media presence.

The warranty denials I have been aware of involve racing components (harness, roll cage, badging and stickers) and other paraphernalia being on the car when the vehicle is presented for a claim. Anything "racy" is a huge red flag to the adjusters and needs to be removed before taking in.

YMMV.

OP
OP
Carter1776

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Atlas Blue
From the 2022 Ford Warranty Guide:

"Damage Caused by Alteration or Modification

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage caused by:

• alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis, electronics or their components, after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company"

I key in on the words, "...any damage caused by..." and feel Ford has to show a relationship between the modifications and the failed, factory components.

So, "Maybe." IMO, while changing the springs or the suspension will not void the bumper-to-bumper warranty, it will absolve the dealer and Ford from warrantying any of the suspension, tires, possibly the brakes.

These issues can be somewhat complicated by the relationship the person has with the dealer and the Service Manager. If you have a good relationship or they are performance-oriented, that helps even more. Further, saying only as much as you have to and keeping a low social media presence.

The warranty denials I have been aware of involve racing components (harness, roll cage, badging and stickers) and other paraphernalia being on the car when the vehicle is presented for a claim. Anything "racy" is a huge red flag to the adjusters and needs to be removed before taking in.

YMMV.
This is one of the things i tried explaining to him as well. Thanks for the input as always, skye.

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I think you'll be more at the mercy of the dealership/service department than anything else. If the dealership/service department says your lowering springs caused a powertrain component to break and/or fail, you'll be fighting an uphill battle with the dealership, Ford Motor Company and whomever else gets involved and it may take longer than usual to get the warranty work covered/fixed.

Personally, I don't think it SHOULD affect your warranty, but that's not my field of expertise.

Bybotie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Premium, PP
If your dealer tries to void your warranty over springs, find a new dealer. If it is that much of a concern, just buy FP springs and have the dealer install them.

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
your friend has absolutely no idea what they're talking about. Magnuson-Moss warranty act requires automakers to honor the factory warranties unless modifications caused the damage/failure. you are also at the mercy of the dealer, as some are more lenient on what would be warranty, but they can only do so much, and Ford has the final say and can call back warranty parts for any reason at all. also, unless the lowering springs double as valve springs, there is no chance they will void your powertrain (engine, transmission, transfer case, diff) warranty

Meraki Autoworks

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.merakiautoworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
Simply put no. If you have issues with adaptive suspension then yes, they could blame the springs. If your engine blows, that has nothing to do with springs.

-Josh
Sponsored