• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Where does it say there is a 1000 mile break in period?

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
I was curious as I have never seen this on Mustangs before- but I just read through the owners manual and I don't see any mention of a 1000 mile break in period .....

The only thing the owners manual refers to is tires ..

BREAKING-IN You need to break in new tires for approximately 300 mi (480 km). During this time, your vehicle may exhibit some unusual driving characteristics.

On the GT350 owners manual
BREAKING-IN
Your vehicle requires a break-in period.
Drive your new vehicle at least 100 mi
(160 km) before performing extended wide
open throttle maneuvers

I see threads where people are waiting for 1000 miles to go over 3000 RPMs - is this just internet rumors or am I missing something?
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I do realize this is dated, but from the 2022 manual, page 231:

"Your vehicle requires a break-in period. For the first 1,000 mi (1,600 km), avoid driving at high speeds, heavy braking, aggressive shifting or using your vehicle to tow. During this time, your vehicle may exhibit some unusual driving characteristics."

From page 159, in discussing how MPG is calculated:

"The first 1,000 mi (1,600 km) of driving is the break-in period of the engine. The system obtains a more accurate measurement after 2,000–3,000 mi (3,200–4,800 km)."

From page 263:

"The oil consumption of new engines reaches its normal level after approximately 3,000 mi (5,000 km)."

Regarding the comment of 3,000 RPM, I've never read that or seen that referenced anywhere. I was hitting 5-6000 RPM in the first 100 miles and have done so almost every drive ever since. I was hitting 3-3500 RPM on the drive home, just shifting naturally. The Gen 3s love to rev and don't wake up until 4000 RPM. I'm sure the Gen 4s are at least as good and capable.

Last edited:

RJV15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si
Do as you please man, its your car. Some people want to be conservative and not WOT during the first 1k. A couple of people beat on the car from day 1. Some of us dont really need a manual to tell us what we've all been doing for decades in terms of breaking in.

friscoaggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Rogue, Cruze, '54 F-100, 24 Mustang DH
I was curious as I have never seen this on Mustangs before- but I just read through the owners manual and I don't see any mention of a 1000 mile break in period .....

The only thing the owners manual refers to is tires ..

BREAKING-IN You need to break in new tires for approximately 300 mi (480 km). During this time, your vehicle may exhibit some unusual driving characteristics.

On the GT350 owners manual
BREAKING-IN
Your vehicle requires a break-in period.
Drive your new vehicle at least 100 mi
(160 km) before performing extended wide
open throttle maneuvers

I see threads where people are waiting for 1000 miles to go over 3000 RPMs - is this just internet rumors or am I missing something?
I have only seen it in the on-line owners manual, just search for break. You will see what you posted above, plus a 1000 mile break-in for the car.

I posted the quote from the on-line manual in another thread, not sure which.

friscoaggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Rogue, Cruze, '54 F-100, 24 Mustang DH
I have only seen it in the on-line owners manual, just search for break. You will see what you posted above, plus a 1000 mile break-in for the car.

I posted the quote from the on-line manual in another thread, not sure which.
Found my old post:

Dropping here with no commentary.
From online 2024 Mustang Owners Manual.

Breaking-In

Your vehicle requires a break-in period. For the first 1,000 mi (1,600 km), avoid driving at high speeds, heavy braking, aggressive shifting or using your vehicle to tow. During this time, your vehicle may exhibit some unusual driving characteristics.

Lastoutlaw_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia stinger and hyundai tucson hybrid
Some don't break they car in some do. Some who don't break it in are those who say "drive like you will drive it from day 1 to the end date". I just think with the computer and the more moving parts now. You should let the car and computer learn itself like you would do if you went to a new job. We know the transmission needs to learn how to shift in newer cars. The best way to prevent harm to the car is just allowing it to warm up before doing anything tbh. That's most important.

OP
OP

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
Some don't break they car in some do. Some who don't break it in are those who say "drive like you will drive it from day 1 to the end date". I just think with the computer and the more moving parts now. You should let the car and computer learn itself like you would do if you went to a new job. We know the transmission needs to learn how to shift in newer cars. The best way to prevent harm to the car is just allowing it to warm up before doing anything tbh. That's most important.

Yes agree- beating on a car without warming it up is asking for problems......

Wasnt saying anything negative about those waiting - more just curious as my car was a 100 mile break in before going for a quick run - 1000 miles for full on track days

Was curious if there was anything saying 1000 miles before going over a certain RPM - seems to be kind of generic -

"Your vehicle requires a break-in period. For the first 1,000 mi (1,600 km), avoid driving at high speeds, heavy braking, aggressive shifting or using your vehicle to tow."

No mention of a certain RPM - not really specific at all - I mean "high speeds" could mean different things to different people

Lastoutlaw_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia stinger and hyundai tucson hybrid
Yes agree- beating on a car without warming it up is asking for problems......

Wasnt saying anything negative about those waiting - more just curious as my car was a 100 mile break in before going for a quick run - 1000 miles for full on track days

Was curious if there was anything saying 1000 miles before going over a certain RPM - seems to be kind of generic -

"Your vehicle requires a break-in period. For the first 1,000 mi (1,600 km), avoid driving at high speeds, heavy braking, aggressive shifting or using your vehicle to tow."

No mention of a certain RPM - not really specific at all - I mean "high speeds" could mean different things to different people
True.. there is something to breaking in a car or engine tho. My coworker just blew up his new engine in his TRX and Dodge are try to deny his warranty bc he was doing WOT on a brand new engine. If he gets a nother new engine this will be the third one. They don't mention the break-in stuff. But if it breaks and they pull the data and see you WOT. They can deny the warranty of that part. I'm a firm believer that each part of a car has its own break-in period even the tires. So give everything time to gel together.

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Mustang GT Vert , 2024 Mustang GT Vert
It seems the 1,000 mile thing was in the owner's manual for the S550 but I haven't see anything in the S650 owner's manual about it other than 300 miles for the tires. I'm following the 1,000 mile recommendation being it's still a Coyote and internally isn't much different from a S550. Better safe than sorry as they say.

Walt Kowalski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT FB. 6M. Twister O. 2020 Conv GT 10A - MagnaRide, Twister O.
I always wait til the temps are up on a brand new car.

10 minutes then drive it like you stole it.

My race mechanics all say this is the way to do it. Every new car.

Aramis76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Check the online manual on Ford's site. The pdf will be revised because they realized they left it out.
The HTML one (online) has been fixed to mention it.
Sponsored