• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Weird burnt rubber smell on delivery

SoggyBottomBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Yo! Just wanted to check with the forum to see if anyone had ideas. This is my first ever time taking delivery of a brand new car, so not 100% what to expect.

Whenever running my 24 GT I notice a bit of a burnt rubber smell, and it tends to be just from the passenger side of the vehicle. I read around online and people say new cars have some weird residual burning smells for a bit after getting them that need to be burnt off, so just wanted to see if anyone else had the same thing or if it may be something else.

To clarify: 24 GT, Manual, active exhaust

Thanks!
Sponsored

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GTP, PP,AVE,MR. 2018 Mustang GT PP1,
I have had sever new cars and there was never a burning rubber smell. There is a chemical smell that come form some of the component gassing out but they don't smell like burnt rubber, that comes form doing burnouts.

OP
OP

SoggyBottomBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I have had sever new cars and there was never a burning rubber smell. There is a chemical smell that come form some of the component gassing out but they don't smell like burnt rubber, that comes form doing burnouts.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting the smell then? How long should I give it before having a shop check it out?

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
Maybe the clutch is being broken in. It might have a slight brake pad heated smell.

OP
OP

SoggyBottomBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Maybe the clutch is being broken in. It might have a slight brake pad heated smell.
Could be it. I figure I'll give it a week and if still there take it to Ford. Great thing about warranty is none of this needs to be stressful

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
I am not sure about what they are using now but normally brake and clutches smell like ozone/electrical smell. Believe me, I have had good doses of it going down the grape vine. Some of the truck drivers get going too fast and do a number on their brakes on the way down.
I know better and always gear down and on newer cars use the cruse control to provide additional braking. Most the time I don't need to touch the brakes.

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Atlas Blue
I had a burnt smell from my GT PP A10 when i took delivery but i believe it was the exhaust getting hot and burning all of the appropriate oils/residues off from under the car. Only lasted the first 2 days before it was completely gone.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I had a wide variety of burning smells that first ride home, yes. Assembly lubes and sealers. New, unweathered materials. Countless hands all over the mechanicals during assembly, shipment and final inspection.

The burning smells occurred while bringing the car up to its operating temperature for a sustained period its first time. I don't remember those smells lasting more than the first or second drive.

You can also run the A/C, defrost and heater with the fan turned up. Just for a few minutes. Later, clean the insides of your windows well.

You've probably already done this, but you can do a good visual, under hood and underneath. Could be one of the shipment bags, tags or trash stuck near a heat source. The first several drives, I always did a visual anyway when returning, to ensure nothing was leaking or going awry. But yes, if it continues, return to dealer for a deeper investigation.

Congrats on picking up the car. :like::clap: Enjoy the ride. :rockon:

Last edited:
Reactions: Zig
OP
OP

SoggyBottomBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I had a wide variety of burning smells that first ride home, yes. Assembly lubes and sealers. New, unweathered materials. Countless hands all over the mechanicals during assembly, shipment and final inspection.

The burning smells occurred while bringing the car up to its operating temperature for a sustained period its first time. I don't remember those smells lasting more than the first or second drive.

You can also run the A/C, defrost and heater with the fan turned up. Just for a few minutes. Later, clean the insides of your windows well.

You've probably already done this, but you can do a good visual, under hood and underneath. Could be one of the shipment bags, tags or trash stuck near a heat source. The first several drives, I always did a visual anyway when returning, to ensure nothing was leaking or going awry. But yes, if it continues, return to dealer for a deeper investigation.

Congrats on picking up the car. :like::clap: Enjoy the ride. :rockon:
I did find a tag still on the engine badge, thought maybe it could've came from that or something else as well. Will find out soon enough!

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Tires, hoses, electrical lines, exhaust, cats, and since a manual, clutch. Location based upon intensity although wafts do follow their own path.

for the most part the only item that will get hot enough to melt rubber/plastic will be the exhaust. Yes, clutch will smell but unless youā€™re really abusing it shouldnā€™t be a problem (btw may more or less smell like burnt brakes - like when a trucker burns his brakes trying to slow his rig cause, well anyway you get the idea).

iā€™d let her cool and then do a thorough exhaust inspection, over under under over, feel all the parts you canā€™t see just to make sure some road debris (rubber pebble) didnā€™t find its way onto the exhaust.

if everything checks out, nothing obvious rubbing or laying against something that could cause it to melt, Iā€™d then probably go for a nice leisurely drive for about an hour (at least 30 minutes without turning off the engine). All while keeping an eye on the gauges regarding temps and pressures.

Any engine / exhaust heat cycle related smells should be noticeable after 30 mins and may help direct you toward the area to investigate once cooled, rinse and repeat if smell continues (or back to the dealer and let them find and explain).

just thought of it as typing this and Iā€™m almost wondering if itā€™s ebrake on the passenger side but that shouldnā€™t really smell like burnt rubber.

but then maybe youā€™re just a tad to aggressive and the burnt smell is the right rear tireā€¦

OP
OP

SoggyBottomBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Tires, hoses, electrical lines, exhaust, cats, and since a manual, clutch. Location based upon intensity although wafts do follow their own path.

for the most part the only item that will get hot enough to melt rubber/plastic will be the exhaust. Yes, clutch will smell but unless youā€™re really abusing it shouldnā€™t be a problem (btw may more or less smell like burnt brakes - like when a trucker burns his brakes trying to slow his rig cause, well anyway you get the idea).

iā€™d let her cool and then do a thorough exhaust inspection, over under under over, feel all the parts you canā€™t see just to make sure some road debris (rubber pebble) didnā€™t find its way onto the exhaust.

if everything checks out, nothing obvious rubbing or laying against something that could cause it to melt, Iā€™d then probably go for a nice leisurely drive for about an hour (at least 30 minutes without turning off the engine). All while keeping an eye on the gauges regarding temps and pressures.

Any engine / exhaust heat cycle related smells should be noticeable after 30 mins and may help direct you toward the area to investigate once cooled, rinse and repeat if smell continues (or back to the dealer and let them find and explain).

just thought of it as typing this and Iā€™m almost wondering if itā€™s ebrake on the passenger side but that shouldnā€™t really smell like burnt rubber.

but then maybe youā€™re just a tad to aggressive and the burnt smell is the right rear tireā€¦
Definitely no aggression. the smell happened in a 2 minute drive from a parking lot they dropped it off at to my house, without leaving second gear.

papaD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Power Wagon 2016 Challenger 392 shaker
I did have a smell after I picked up my car.

The problem appeared to be associated with the right pedal coming into contact with the floor when the traffic lights turned green...

sorry i couldn't help...

T-Tom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT - Carbonized Grey Metallic
I had this same thing happen on my brand new manual '21 GT (and same as you, first ever new car so I had no idea what to expect). This smell stayed around for about 2 weeks and I was worried it was my clutch or a weird issue with the brakes so I took it to the dealership. They took the exhaust off and found stickers from the factory that had burnt up and smelled. The technician even scraped them off and told me to give them a whiff and sure enough it was the exact same smell that kept happening. He was kind enough to check the full exhaust and remove any more stickers (there were 3 total).

Good luck! Hope your fix is as easy as mine was

OP
OP

SoggyBottomBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I had this same thing happen on my manual '21 GT. This smell stayed around for about 2 weeks and I was worried it was my clutch or a weird issue with the brakes so I took it to the dealership. They took the exhaust off and found stickers from the factory that had burnt up and smelled. The technician even scraped them off and told me to give them a whiff and sure enough it was the exact same smell that kept happening. He was kind enough to check the full exhaust and remove any more stickers (there were 3 total).

Good luck! Hope your fix is as easy as mine was
I found 3 stickers in the actual engine bay, removed them, wondering if that was involved
Sponsored