• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Warm up or Start up and Go?

DevilDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT on order
My car idles at over 1000 rpm's when I first start it. My exhaust is also very loud on start up. I usually wait until it idles down because the exhaust also quiets down and my neighbors don't get mad at me. 😁

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang
My car idles at over 1000 rpm's when I first start it. My exhaust is also very loud on start up. I usually wait until it idles down because the exhaust also quiets down and my neighbors don't get mad at me. 😁
Wait, so you sit there in your driveway and let it cold idle because then your neighbors won't get mad at you?

DevilDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT on order
Wait, so you sit there in your driveway and let it cold idle because then your neighbors won't get mad at you?
Actually, I warm it up in the garage for a couple of minutes with the door open. 😛 I leave for church around 6 a.m. on Sunday mornings and start it with the garage door closed until it idles down. It works well, but I do get drowsy. 😉

Last edited:

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr

DevilDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT on order
by chance are you facing the door or got your back to it?
Exhaust to the door. We have an insulated garage door, so it really muffles the sound.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
At some point I may go for the old man Corvette that is easy to drive. I just don’t like New Balance shoes lol
Just switch to the Nike Air Monarch IV's ... :cwl:

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Was going more for the numerous stops and starts not idle. Any (wink wink) conscientious individual would know they need to stop their engine while ‘standing’. The ‘severe use category’ is in reference to simply starting the car, driving 10 - 15 minutes (or less), shutting it off, letting it sit, starting and immediately driving away, and then stop (rinse and repeat).
The question was is the op wasting time, i put forward a scenario and asked if had anything better to do than to take a moment instead of just grab and go.
If I owned a taxi, that b*tch would be moving all the time. Just like all commercial transportation, if it ain't moving it ain't making money.

Reactions: Zig

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Exhaust to the door. We have an insulated garage door, so it really muffles the sound.
is that every sunday? Reason i ask, if i get this routine correct (j/k) and it’s able to accept it as an update…. Let’s see, sunday morning, startup, idle, driver unconscious, obstacles detected both fore and aft - ignore rear obstacle and proceed - note insulated my require a tad more rpm. We can call it the open the garage door first toggle. Didn’t want anyone to get the wrong idea. Big giant garage sure why not but itty bitty teeny small tight as a drum can hardly squeeze in the doors, nah gotta open it first.

FarNorth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang
When I start my car in the morning, I noticed the high idle goes down to 1K RPM after maybe 30 sec.
However, I noticed that once my oil temp reaches 87F my idle speed goes down further.
So I usually wait till that point before I pull away. It seems to make sense to do so, but am I wasting my time?
What you are doing is exactly what I do in the winter. Then drive gently until the drivetrain warms up.
In the summer I start and go, but again drive gently until everything warms up.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
Oh no, I waste so much gas, lol. I always wait for it to idle down a bit... the auto tranny will clunk into gear at high idle (I don't like that!).
I see your problem........

LOL just kidding....love the A10 in my truck and in my old car....really is an impressive transmission

Karguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger 6.4 Widebody 6 speed
When I start my car in the morning, I noticed the high idle goes down to 1K RPM after maybe 30 sec.
However, I noticed that once my oil temp reaches 87F my idle speed goes down further.
So I usually wait till that point before I pull away. It seems to make sense to do so, but am I wasting my time?
It does not matter what you do as engine wear happens every time you start up a cold engine and metal rubs on metal the moments before the oil pressure builds up…So take off without waiting as the engine reaches operating temperature quicker and of course dont abuse it until it reaches operating temperature which is probably 3-5 miles…

Knightro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Explorer Sport
I let mine idle down before driving off. It feels like that’s what the engine wants but another reason I do this(in all my vehicles)is from experience with a catch can. I have one on my motorcycle and noticed the can getting enough liquid to need emptying more frequently than expected. There are small vent holes and when it reaches capacity it begins to blow out. I contacted the manufacturer(DK Customs)who told me if I let the bike idle a little longer instead of riding off it will reduce this. Sure enough it did. So short story long, I think there is less of that crap going into the engine or can.
Sponsored