• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Trunk seam?

Tonystark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang 4-Turbo w/Pony package
Finally saw a few of them live. Not enough 'like' to trade in my '19 for one, however what is that trunk seam along the top of the truck lid? Why is it there?
Sponsored

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
It sounds like your asking about the spoiler blank.

OP
OP
Tonystark

Tonystark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am not a spoiler guy. I like clean lines and that 'seam' doesn't help the looks of the car one bit.

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT 6spd
Maybe you should post some pics of what exactly you are talking about.

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
Ford changed how the wing and back-up camera are mounted to the trunk lid. no longer is the trunk lid one piece, but now it's two pieces, with the main lid and the extension. here's how the trunk lid looks without the extension
S650 Mustang Trunk seam? 1700287097142

(this Mustang was in the shop because fresh of the transporter the backup camera was horribly skewed and misplaced)

OP
OP
Tonystark

Tonystark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S650 Mustang Trunk seam? 960x0

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
Looks better than a shopping cart handle stuck on that doesn't perform any real function.

OP
OP
Tonystark

Tonystark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks better than a shopping cart handle stuck on that doesn't perform any real function.
Agreed, but why the seam? A one piece trunk wasn't an option?

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Metal can only be bent so much and complex shape might bunch the metal up or over stress it. They would prefer to use a single sheet of metal but that isn't always possible. When that happens, they spot weld metal together or use a filler part to produce the correct shape.

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
Agreed, but why the seam? A one piece trunk wasn't an option?
I am not a fly on the wall at HQ but I bet they (design team) couldn't figure out what shape to make the trailing edge and so punted. If you look at the pic of the red one, you can see that the bends are all reasonable and straightfoward press/draw operations.

So while the art department tried to figure out (focus group?) how much of a Elantra cut-back people wanted, if they wanted a S550-like upturn, or any other design elements, they decided to get the big die made and could experiment on the side.

Notice how it's 2 parts butted up and bolted together. There's likely some adhesive in the overlap as well.

Cars with spoilers the leading edge is shy of the channel by about 5mm which IMO is a mistake - it should COVER the ghastly line. But with 1/2" worth of plastic you won't see it from certain angles...

S650 Mustang Trunk seam? IMG_20231118_155221241

Whatever the true cause, the Ford styling/art department should be fired and the decision makers who signed off on it, should precede them into the darkness of banishment. Even furniture designers aren't this bad at their jobs.

The acres of yuck black pastic (diaper) around the entire rear-end is probably there for similar reasons. They were playing with the design till real late and since plastic is dirt cheap finished off the contours that way rather than try to do it in metal.

Last edited:

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
OP
OP
Tonystark

Tonystark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
but to me it is just a blemish on the rear end
agreed. I can understand if the aftermarket wanted to be sloppy, but the factory panel should butt right up, ~1mm gap definitely no more than 2mm. Not 6+.
Sponsored