• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Top up top speed

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
What is the new for ‘24 top up top speed? Not how fast does the top come up but rather what mph before one needs to become concerned?
Sponsored

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium California Special
Note: The convertible top does not operate unless the vehicle is stationary or traveling under 3 mph (5 km/h). A chime sounds and a warning message appears in the instrument panel. When you slow down, the top operates.

RaceRedder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse HP
Note: The convertible top does not operate unless the vehicle is stationary or traveling under 3 mph (5 km/h). A chime sounds and a warning message appears in the instrument panel. When you slow down, the top operates.
I think he means how fast can you drive with the top up before it gets ripped by the wind.

I had a S550 and drove 155mph on the highway for 1 hour straight. From SLC to Bonneville Salt Flats. No problem at all.

Reactions: Zig

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium California Special
I think he means how fast can you drive with the top up before it gets ripped by the wind.

I had a S550 and drove 155mph on the highway for 1 hour straight. From SLC to Bonneville Salt Flats. No problem at all.
Ahh, ok. Sorry, still on first cup of coffee. Ignore me post. 😂

ZBOBMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible
Had a older convertible (1966). I started putting the top down while exiting the garage. Thought I had clearance but it caught on the garage opening. Needed new top and was a very expensive lesson. Only open and close while car is in park.

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Mustang GT Vert , 2024 Mustang GT Vert
and even if you start putting the top up or down it will stop mid-cycle once that speed is reached. I got stuck with my top 1/2 up and 1/2 down leaving a red light once and had to drive a mile like that with cars behind me and of course I passed by a cop as soon as it happened. I think they make a mod to bypass that I'm going to get eventually.

Fruitstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
There's a little box called SmartTop
I have it in my 2016 gen 6, don't know if it will work in the 7g though.
You can set higher operating speeds, mine is set to 20 mph.
It also adds one touch operation which is absolutely great.

TripleshotMcC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Premium Convertible
Some of you are off topic. OP was asking how fast can you go with the top up vs down.
I can only get to about 80mph with the top down before the windshield shutters badly.
With the top up, I have pushed it to almost 125 with no issues. Break-in is over now, so I will try to push it a bit more.
Sure wish I could do 120 topless though like I used to in my 2015 GT, it's a rush!

Fruitstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
Seriously such a difference between the 2015 and 2024?
One of the most striking things to me is how fast I can drive with top down completely stress free and with even all windows down compared to all the Audi/BMW/Bentleys who all use ugly wind deflectors plus have windows up.
Sponsored