• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

The new dashboard is a big mistake IMO

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
they could have copied Nissan GTR/Subie and put a gauge pack screen(s) in the current Sync3 panel and it would have been a good thing. The Sync3 panel moved up to where the vents are on the S550 would have been even better because 1) nobody wants air blowing over their arms, 2) the S550 screen is WAY too low and requires taking eyes off the road.

They could have trivially fit a 8" wide screen INTO the S550-style dash with perhaps a small double-rounded hump to pretend it's a gauge-pack, a strip of overlay plastic to artificially split-up the screen into 2 upper/lower zones (even though it's a single panel) and do all kinds of useful things in the bottom 3/4.

Ford just needs to fire this crop of designers - they have ZERO imagination or creativity. If the disaster was because they had no money, then the solution is simple, do NOTHING and keep selling the S550 as-is. It's not like they actually made any useful changes to the drivetrain or chassis.
Yeah, they "could" have done a lot of things but this is what they did. I'm certainly in no rush to replace my 19' so i'll wait until we see what 2025-2027 brings.

At least we can be grateful that we still have a V8 and M6. :like:
Sponsored

S650 GT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Horse with Trailer
I think we really need to withhold judgement until we are sitting in front of it. Seeing a fully operational gauge pack could change a lot of minds. Hopefully mine as well.
It's not about what the screen can do.
It is about how the screen looks like.

This is just a long iPad slammed on the dash.

I don't like it. I like an integrated digital dash just like how Audi and also the current S550 has it.

Does not change any opinion if you sit behind the wheel.

SINBUSTER007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Edge ST, 23 Bronco Sp, 12 Boss, 66 V8 Coupe
i wrote about this over on M6G how i did not like it. yes understand we are going into the "digital" age but they can do so much with LCD screens now that you dont need the "box" config....just look what they did with the current mustang. i dont see what the need is for MFG's to think we need big screen tv's in front of us while driving (only to be more distracting) and not seeing the ACTUAL roadway we are driving on....and BTW, it was mentioned the new "gen" of kids want glass to look at....well thats your problem. have you ever noticed how much they look down at their class they are carrying in their hands and not actually looking where they are walking. and you think that will change when you put them behind a wheel??
this is a reason for the bean counters to justify going fully autonomous in your cars in 15yrs....
(oh the rate of accidents have risen i guess we need the cars to drive themselves to make sure we have less accidents...) sorry i see this every day. i work with teens/early adults and they (for the most part) cannot do anything without it involving the "phone" in their hands....
never seen a society more dependent on a piece of machinery in their hands than today.
yes i do have an Iphone, and i use it as such, a phone, or text, or email...but not while driving...
i can do other things without having my phone attached at the hip too.....
ok off topic. sorry.

i think they could have done a better job integrating it into the dash instead of looking like an after-thought... no "flow" within the interior. case in point look at the concept Dodge Charger SRT EV......it has digital screens also but "flows" more in with the car itself...

ok off my soap box.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
They should have integrated the bigger display properly and inconspicuously. Easily doable in a retro style with double brow but fresh and modern and with sufficient button support kept. I mean why not just copy Porsche 911 😁 Could anyone protest? 😁

S650 Mustang The new dashboard is a big mistake IMO porsche-911

SINBUSTER007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i could go for the Porsche interior....that looks good...
and wow its all digital. who woulda thought?

spectremotorsports

Consultant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Emma" 17 GT/PP Grabber Blue/Black roof
They should have integrated the bigger display properly and inconspicuously. Easily doable in a retro style with double brow but fresh and modern and with sufficient button support kept. I mean why not just copy Porsche 911 😁 Could anyone protest? 😁

porsche-911.jpg

I keep seeing people saying they should have copied the 911. But having driven one, the 911 setup LOOKS pretty, but you literally cannot see the left and right hand sides of the gauges without leaning to look around the steering wheel.

That being said it was probably the only minor thing about the car(along with temperamental door handles) that I didn't like and it was otherwise perfect.

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
Not sure if this is already known but I just learned that there are 2 different dashboard designs. I assume it will be the Base design (2 separate screens)and the Premium design. (1 long screen)

S650 Mustang The new dashboard is a big mistake IMO mustang-base-interior-is-the-ipads

S650 Mustang The new dashboard is a big mistake IMO 2024-Ford-Mustang-00024

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some cars have that, it's about seat and steering wheel position. S550's digital dash cluster is fine, they could have just integrated the center display in this 911 way, with vents and row of toggles below it, temperature and few buttons kept too. That central display is just flawless here. Not sticking out like a sore thumb.

SINBUSTER007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
point is...its doable....without the Ipad looking thing sticking up....
ford just doesnt want to invest and spend time doing stuff like this.

i DO like how they did the exterior. although i dont know if i would call it a new Gen....
rather a refresh... think 94-98 compared to 99-04. refresh with hard, crisp lines instead of the "round" from the 94's. i had both. interiors changed slightly if any....but still it wasnt a next-gen...
same platform.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think that is just one of the design studies that was made before they signed off on the final one.
Just reading the CNET article linked elsewhere and it says "with the option to have both displays integrated together in a single curved piece of glass".

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
It's not about what the screen can do.
It is about how the screen looks like.

This is just a long iPad slammed on the dash.

I don't like it. I like an integrated digital dash just like how Audi and also the current S550 has it.

Does not change any opinion if you sit behind the wheel.
I agree that they might have done a better job integrating it into the dash structure. It is hard to tell from the photos exactly how this will look from the driver's perspective. I think it goes with the overall chiseled edge look they were aiming for (like the early Fox Body Mustangs).

spectremotorsports

Consultant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Emma" 17 GT/PP Grabber Blue/Black roof
Not sure if this is already known but I just learned that there are 2 different dashboard designs. I assume it will be the Base design (2 separate screens)and the Premium design. (1 long screen)

mustang-base-interior-is-the-ipads.jpg

2024-Ford-Mustang-00024.jpg
Is it me or does the usable area of the "base screen" seem bigger? Specifically the gauge cluster
Sponsored