• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Tapping noise coming from somewhere in the GT engine bay - normal?

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Welcome to the forum. You must have read about the inner

NO, drive it like you stole it Only in a lower gear 5 or 6 thousand RPM on occasion thats what its built for.
Are you referring about the inner front wheel well liner (hole)?

Once I get my car then I'll work on driving it like I stole it:)
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this and if it's supposed to be normal. There's tapping noise coming from the engine bay, it almost sounds like two plastic trim pieces tapping against each other. As far as I can tell, there's no rythym to it; it'll tap once or twice - pause - then tap again several times or once again. I noticed the sound started around the 3K miles mark. The sound is hard to hear unless the car is up against a wall like a drive-thru or inside a garage and I only notice it during idle, but that just might be because the cars pretty loud.
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

IFFV68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Limited
I have about 1,600 miles (no oil change) on my engine and it is noisy. There is a click that seems to occur once an engine revolution. For those who date themselves, it matches the old engine driven fuel pump that was driven directly off the crank shaft. I assume that is the high pressure fuel pump that provides fuel for the direct injection. The lifters rattle a lot and I suspect that's because the oil pressure drops so low during an idle that they aren't fully pumped up on each cycle. I am not worried about either sound because I know this isn't a luxury car so controlling the sound wasn't a major design issue. Besides that, once you're above an idle, both sounds go away.
The Old School 289 H. P.
& the 427’s all had Solid Lifters.
The Coyote can’t be as loud as those?
But,
The Solid Lifters made a Beautiful sound.
Muscle and Power.
I assume the Coyote Engine has Hydraulic Lifters & shouldn't make any noise whatsoever.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
The Old School 289 H. P.
& the 427’s all had Solid Lifters.
The Coyote can’t be as loud as those?
But,
The Solid Lifters made a Beautiful sound.
Muscle and Power.
I assume the Coyote Engine has Hydraulic Lifters & shouldn't make any noise whatsoever.
Hydraulic lifters are self adjusting but not necessarily silent. Properly adjusted the lifters should be just a little loose to avoid burning valves. They shouldn't make a loud clicking noise. The lifters have to bleed off a little oil in each cycle just so they can readjust. If they didn't do that, they could become over tight. Everything I have owned has ha hydraulic lifters but we had engines without them. It was kind of a pain when they needed adjustment as it was common to get oil leaks from the valve cover gasket. Cork you had to replace every time and you needed to be careful with rubber not to over tighten it or you might warp the valve cover.
Sponsored