• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Software Update Mechanism?

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Continental Reserve; 2024 Mustang GT
I understand the S650 has the capability to do "over the air" software updates. I am assuming it would either be Wi-Fi as in your home wireless Internet or Wi-Fi/Bluetooth over your smartphone and using cellular data.

Am I missing something here? Cellular data could get expensive if you have a small data plan.
Sponsored

Lightningwings

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium
Yes, either of the 2 options you listed will work. I would recommend updating using your home wifi if you have a low data plan.

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, either of the 2 options you listed will work. I would recommend updating using your home wifi if you have a low data plan.
So, I am, assuming you can provide the SSID and password of your router to the Mustang. I am also assuming that any update will occur without the vehicle being started (in the garage, engine not running).

Lightningwings

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium
Correct, you will choose a wifi network, enter in the password and connect. From the touch screen, Settings >> Connectivity >> Wi-FI, Switch WiFI On, Press View Available Wi-FI Networks, then you will select your network and enter the password.

Yes, they have 2 types of updates:
Driveable Updates - small Updates that happen in the background while you are driving and using the vehicle.

Non-Driveable Updates - large updates that require you to schedule a time when the vehicle will not be in use. The screen notifies you when one of these updates are ready. Non-Driveable updates can take up to 30 minutes.

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Correct, you will choose a wifi network, enter in the password and connect. From the touch screen, Settings >> Connectivity >> Wi-FI, Swith WiFI On, Press View Available Wi-FI Networks, then you will select your network and enter the password.

Yes, they have 2 types of updates:
Driveable Updates - small Updates that happen in the background while you are driving and using the vehicle.

Non-Driveable Updates - large updates that require you to schedule a time when the vehicle will not be in use. The screen notifies you when one of these updates are ready. Non-Driveable updates take take up to 30 minutes.
Thanks for the very detailed response!!

jimgt2k24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 silver GT 401A, auto, act exh, perf pkg, nite
i've had prior sync versions. For the s650, can an update file be downloaded to a usb drive?

Instant Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler, '24 VB Mustang GT PP Vert 6sp
Following this thread has me wondering if it bothers people about all the information this car is collecting on you as you drive? I went into settings to see about connecting the car to my home wifi, but upon looking at all the information that it would be sending to (?), I decided not to do it and in fact I will turn off

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Following this thread has me wondering if it bothers people about all the information this car is collecting on you as you drive? I went into settings to see about connecting the car to my home wifi, but upon looking at all the information that it would be sending to (?), I decided not to do it and in fact I will turn off
As I haven’t received my GT, can you provide some details?

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
https://www.ford.com/support/sync-maps-updates/

This is the Ford's Sync site. I can offer a quick run-down how you can do via USB. Many of you don't have your cars right now, so this exercise is going to be conceptual. But it's pretty easy via USB, and might be the most stable.

Go to the site above. Enter your VIN or log in. The site will tell you if you are up-to-date or not.

If you're not up-to-date, the site will give you options and instructions.

Option 1: share out your home's Wi-Fi. In the car, while in Accessory mode, enter the Wi-Fi password and connect. Each time I attempted the option, I was told, "All good here!", even though I knew I was a little out-of-date. Other users have reported same. Sometimes the Wi-Fi option works, many times it doesn't.

Option 2: on your home computer, at the Ford web site above, select the instructions for installing updates via USB. Ford will have both Mac and Windows loads and instructions for each. I installed the latest sync update to a stick in like 20 minutes (first time). It was pretty easy. A bit confusing as I'd never done it before. No biggie. Consider it practice.

With the stick in-hand, go out to the car and start it. Get ready to go on a drive, 10 to 15 minutes, minimum.

I started the car and backed out. Then, I inserted the stick into the USB port in the console. The car immediately recognized what it was and began updating Sync. I was off.

You can drive just like you always do. You can also sit and idle. You don't have to be moving.

My update took 10 minutes. Watch the screen. When the car tells you it's done and the stick can be removed, pull the stick. If you don't you do what I did, update one more time.

If you don't pull the stick in time, Sync reboots, sees the stick with the update and begins the update again. LOL. I did this. No worries. I caught it the second time and pulled it when it was done. Sync rebooted and that was that.

So now the car is updated, but your account at Ford is not. Sometimes a log file is written back to the stick you were using, which you can then present to Ford at the site above. "Ah, we see you've updated. Thanks!" Sometimes the log file is there. Many times it is not.

If the log file is not there, there is an easy workaround. Share out your Wi-Fi again and connect to it with the car. You don't have to be running or driving for this step. Ask the car to check for updates from Ford. The car will then present itself, confirm it has the most recent update and be done. In about 15 minutes, Ford's web site will then list your car as being updated.

Keep the USB. It's now your update stick.

Ford's instructions are to make the update while driving. Another Member provided some additional insight as to why: the Sync update itself draws a lot of power. If sitting in your garage, the car off, but in accessory mode, you're could strain/drain the battery if attempting via Wi-Fi or stick.

IMO, via USB stick is the easiest and most full-proof.

That's probably a bit much, but gives you an idea what to do. For now, get a stick, set aside. Think in your head of the steps above. While my update was straightforward, Members updating maps and navigation will take longer, as the files are bigger and require more processing.
Wow! Thanks. I’ll have to save this.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Following this thread has me wondering if it bothers people about all the information this car is collecting on you as you drive?
I'd study two topics: 1) Ford Telematics and 2) How to default Sync back to factory.

Ford Telematics records various details about your driving. This information is uploaded to Ford via the car's internal cell transmitter. If you don't want Ford to have these details (whatever they all are), in the S550 anyway, there is a specific fuse that can be pulled, disabling this functionality (the cell transmitter). But the S650 is a bit different. I don't think anyone has determined the steps on what all is disabled on the 650 yet.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/the-how-to-disable-the-data-link-to-ford-thread.146863/

Sync keeps everything you save to it. XM subscriptions, phone dialing lists, etc. Before selling or getting rid of the car, study the instructions on how to delete that memory which holds your personal information. This problem is common to anyone, any car, this kind of functionality. Think of it as clearing all the personal information off of a PC or Mac. Ford does have instructions to zero things out again.

https://www.ford.com.ph/owner/sync3/perform-a-master-reset/

Edit: Some don't care for the Ford Pass App. The selling dealer will probably ask you to install the App and link your car at pickup. You do not have to. Ford already has so much information about you at this point, deleting or refraining from the Ford Pass App, I'm not sure it reduces your footprint all that much.

https://www.ford.com/support/category/fordpass/

Last edited:
Reactions: DCS

Instant Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As I haven’t received my GT, can you provide some details?
This is the main screen that lets you turn options on or off
S650 Mustang Software Update Mechanism? IMG_4845.JPG

When I went to shut off Share Driving Data I got this message;
S650 Mustang Software Update Mechanism? IMG_4846.JPG

Do I really want Ford or anyone to know how hard I was braking or accelerating? None of their business in my opinion or this;
S650 Mustang Software Update Mechanism? IMG_4847.JPG

Maybe I'm just old and think that all the information that is collect about us and sold is wrong and I don't plan on participating in it unless Ford wants to cut me in on the deal!

Instant Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd study two topics: 1) Ford Telematics and 2) How to default Sync back to factory.

Ford Telematics records various details about your driving. This information is uploaded to Ford via the car's internal cell transmitter. If you don't want Ford to have these details (whatever they all are), in the S550 anyway, there is a specific fuse that can be pulled, disabling this functionality (the cell transmitter). But the S650 is a bit different. I don't think anyone has determined the steps on what all is disabled on the 650 yet.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/the-how-to-disable-the-data-link-to-ford-thread.146863/

Sync keeps everything you save to it. XM subscriptions, phone dialing lists, etc. Before selling or getting rid of the car, study the instructions on how to delete that memory which holds your personal information. This problem is common to anyone, any car, this kind of functionality. Think of it as clearing all the personal information off of a PC or Mac. Ford does have instructions to zero things out again.

https://www.ford.com.ph/owner/sync3/perform-a-master-reset/

Edit: Some don't care for the Ford Pass App. The selling dealer will probably ask you to install the App and link your car at pickup. You do not have to. Ford already has so much information about you at this point, deleting or refraining from the Ford Pass App, I'm not sure it reduces your footprint all that much.

https://www.ford.com/support/category/fordpass/
You are probably right about the information I've already given to them, but I don't feel they have the right to know how I operate the car in almost realtime. Don't our phones already collect enough information without our cars tattle-telling on us?

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
For the s650, can an update file be downloaded to a usb drive?
Ya, I caught myself and deleted my previous post. I forgot about Sync 4.

I've Googled around and have yet to find anything to do with USB sticks, Sync 4 and the S650. My finds do reference Wi-Fi and Cell, as @Lightningwings mentioned above. But update the S650 Sync via USB? Haven't seen that yet.

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
OTA updates don't require a personal subscription to a cellular company - if the setting is enabled Ford will push out updates as needed/requested and will be downloaded via cellular network either as you drive or when you shut your car off/at a scheduled time (depending on what module(s) are to be updated). In-vehicle hotspots do require a personal cellular plan though. As far as I know wifi Sync updates via your own house internet is obsolete with Sync 4, as well as customer USB Sync updates (to my knowledge) - neither system will use your phone for module updates either.
Sponsored