• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Phone overheated with top down

MidLifeManifustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 GT Convertible, 21 Explorer ST
Convertible lesson learned the other day: the heat generated by the wireless charging pad combined with direct sunlight was too much for my iPhone 13 Pro and it spontaneously shut itself down to cool off.

I suppose I’ll charge it with a cable in the console if it needs it on sunny days…
Sponsored

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 GT Convertible 401A, AVE, Brembos
Mine has done that with the top up and A/C on. That charger really overheats phones. Mine is a Samsung S23 Ultra so it's the charger not the phone.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
It happens but it is more of a phone 'issue' than a convertible 'issue. I've had my phone overheat when it sits in any direct sunlight like on my desk while I am working or resting on the deck when I am doing yard work.

Enjoy that droptop feeling!
"Fugget about that fone"

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Not even always about the wireless charger OR the sun/heat.

I was running my S21 Ultra 5G in a cup phone style holder, had the USB cable plugged in (charging only) while running Waze via Android Auto (Sync screen in car) and Highway Radar (app on phone screen) connected via Bluetooth to my Uniden R8 radar detector. It was NOT in direct sunlight (I have a coupe), I was running the AC, and all my windows are ceramic tinted to block 96% IR and 99% UV ... and the damn thing still over heated after about an hour of driving .... LOL!

Sofa King

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ecoboost, Vapor Blue, HPP
I have a thick case on my phone and find it can get a bit warm if not placed on the charger correctly... this is common with many wireless chargers and the issue is the case, not the charger... I have found the "happy place" on the Mustang charger, so it's all good.

Aramis76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
the thicker the case, the more heat it will generate.
Properly seated on the wireless charger with no case, it charges well and stays cool.

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Apple iPhone 14 Pro here. With or without the case and streaming Pandora, the phone gets very hot. It has not shut off yet, but it has gotten so hot that the phone was very laggy.

Keep in mind, wireless charing in general generates a lot of heat.

Magic88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
the thicker the case, the more heat it will generate.
Properly seated on the wireless charger with no case, it charges well and stays cool.
I got the old man otterbox and it overheats in less than 5 minutes if I don't take it out of the case. Problem is, it's a bitch to take out. I've got a portable charger in the center console that I just plug into.

Aramis76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Exactly, wireless is nice but people need to know this, if you have a thick case or if the phone is too large and can't sit flat against the charger, you're better off with a cable.

Magic88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Exactly, wireless is nice but people need to know this, if you have a thick case or if the phone is too large and can't sit flat against the charger, you're better off with a cable.
Weird part is, mine will charge without sitting flush, just had to be turned a certain way. Charged all the way down to Kansas in a cold Saturday morning in April, no problems. Now with it being warmer out, it's notifying me 5 minutes in to remove the phone, too hot. Same phone as roadpilot.

Hello cheap Amazon portable charger 😂

jeffnudi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang EcoBoost Prem. Conv., 2022 Mav Hy XLT
My experience is with an iPhone 12 Pro with no case. Sometimes the wireless charger is more a phone warmer than a phone charger. Driving for hours at a time it has completely charged the phone and other times driving for several hours it has let the phone discharge, even though the charging icon is lit green.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Portable charger that charges wirelessly and the phone charging via cable from the portable battery!
Sponsored