• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Oil life Monitoring Issue

scazea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT premium conv., 401a, Rapid Red
So it looks like your 2020 Mustang was an Ecoboost per your signature? So your EB used oil as well? I don't think I've ever owned a car that used oil especially not a brand new car but I guess that's the nature of the beast (Coyote)? I sure hope I'm not buying a bunch of issues when I purchase this 24 GT. I just want something I can enjoy for 10 or more years without having to worry about a bunch of issues.
Well, Ford charged me for Oil change every time i service my 2020 Ecoboost....so yeah, it uses oil too! :cool: i had that car for 3 years, and when i change it for this one, it rode and look just like the first day! it was hard to part ways.....until I heard the engine on the 2024 GT.....then i was , Eco who?? :like:
I'm not a gear guy, i mean, i don't know much about car engine internals, just know what i like...but i was told that the GT is more robust than the Ecoboost, specially if you plan to have it for long...but don't take my word for that...
Sponsored

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Don't have a 2024, but everyone's cars here still seem pretty new, not a lot of mileage - one thing this could be, is Ford built-in an "accelerated oil life decrease" when the cars are new and still have low mileage. I've seen Honda does this with their newer vehicles (they have an OLM also, similar to the ones in these cars).

Reason? I think some of the OEs (including Ford) are finally on-side with trying to get that factory fill oil out of the engine sooner rather than later. In the Hondas, from what I've seen, when the car is factory new, the oil life decreases % much quicker than after you get the first oil change performed, and OLM reset. From the first reset onward, it's "normal" monitoring and decrease rate. There is nothing stated in the owners literature about this.

I wonder if Ford has stated anything to this effect in the owner's literature of these Mustangs, but I doubt it. In these S650 cars, I wonder if the behaviour is similar to Hondas, or if the "quickest" rate of decrease is when new; it slows down after oil change 1; and slower still after oil change 2; and then finally, it's BAU for the rest of the life of the vehicle.

Last edited:
OP
OP

NVPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT PP
Don't have a 2024, but everyone's cars here still seem pretty new, not a lot of mileage - one thing this could be, is Ford built-in an "accelerated oil life decrease" when the cars are new and still have low mileage. I've seen Honda does this with their newer vehicles (they have an OLM also, similar to the ones in these cars).

Reason? I think some of the OEs (including Ford) are finally on-side with trying to get that factory fill oil out of the engine sooner rather than later. In the Hondas, from what I've seen, when the car is factory new, the oil life decreases % much quicker than after you get the first oil change performed, and OLM reset. From the first reset onward, it's "normal" monitoring and decrease rate. There is nothing stated in the owners literature about this.

I wonder if Ford has stated anything to this effect in the owner's literature of these Mustangs, but I doubt it. In these S550 cars, I wonder if the behaviour is the same as Hondas, or if the "quickest" rate of decrease is when new; it slows down post-intial oil change; and finally, it's BAU for the rest of the life of the vehicle.
Ford reads these forums. Maybe they’ll respond

CMcA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
JimC did you notice any reduction of the Coyote valve train tick by using the full synthetic?

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
JimC did you notice any reduction of the Coyote valve train tick by using the full synthetic?
I haven't really noticed the "tick" at all even before the oil change. Might be my bad hearing

IFFV68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Limited
I had the same thing on my car. Changed oil at 5,000 miles and last week noticed after only 1,000 miles I am at 39% oil life.

I thought maybe the update when I changed oil didn't take and I hadn't noticed it at the time. Although I was pretty sure that I checked it later that day and it showed 100% oil life and several days later showed 99% - but I was doubting myself on if I was remembering it correctly. With someone else having the same experience it must be some glitch.

I used full synthentic on the change.
The Ford dealership I use always show the Reset after they change the oil.
The vehicle owner has to change it to a normal screen.
Then you know the oil has been changed.
If this makes any sense?

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
The Ford dealership I use always show the Reset after they change the oil.
The vehicle owner has to change it to a normal screen.
Then you know the oil has been changed.
If this makes any sense?
I understand what you are saying.

But in my case I changed the oil life monitor myself after the oil was changed; I went to the local change place where you sit in the car while it is changed and not the dealer. It wasn't left on the reset screen, I went to the reset screen and did the reset when the oil change was finished. Yet about 1,100 miles later I am down to 35% oil life.

OP
OP

NVPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT PP

But in my case I changed the oil life monitor myself after the oil was changed; I went to the local change place where you sit in the car while it is changed and not the dealer. It wasn't left on the reset screen, I went to the reset screen and did the reset when the oil change was finished. Yet about 1,100 miles later I am down to 35% oil life.
That’s what I’m taking about. I’m going to the dealer to have it looked at. I’ll keep you posted

CrimsonRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Magnetic Mustang V6, 2019 Race Red GT convertible
YMMV I have a PP 24 GT bought in Oct 2023

1653 on odometer, oil life says 67% remaining.

infinitemberstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse - Blue Ember - MT
The automated oil life reporting mechanism is crapola in any car for that matter. It does no oil quality analysis on the fly to give you a “realistic and pragmatic” rating. If you love your baby too much and don’t track her at all - full synthetic oil change every 3500 miles. If you track her / post 8 sessions(2 track days) oil change.
Btw / once you go full synthetic - don’t bother changing it to anything else.

IFFV68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Limited

Because the Gen. 4, 5.0 Coyote engine has a 10 quart oil pan.
Are the oil changing places doing 8, 9, or the proper 10 quart oil change?
Seems like a lot of inconsistencies with oil changes In the New Gen. 4 Coyote engines?
Sponsored