• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Mustang B&O compared to Explorer B&O?

MidLifeManifustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 GT Convertible, 21 Explorer ST
Has anyone been able to compare the Mustang B&O sound system to the B&O audio available on the 2020+ Explorer?

I’m still waiting for my Mustang and seeing lukewarm/mixed reviews about the B&O option. Of course, the radio was off during my brief test drive before ordering. Since sound quality is pretty subjective, I’m hoping someone here has also had some seat time with a system I’m familiar with and can rate the Mustang’s in relative terms.

I’m hoping the Mustang will be as good or better - if not, I think I’ll have to plan for an upgrade when my GT arrives.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MidLifeManifustang

MidLifeManifustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Took delivery yesterday and can answer my own question. The Explorer’s B&O sounds slightly better to me. That said, I’m enjoying the sound of the Coyote so much that I don’t feel an immediate need to upgrade.

Stangerous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium, 2020 Mustang GT Premium c
Has anyone been able to compare the Mustang B&O sound system to the B&O audio available on the 2020+ Explorer?

I’m still waiting for my Mustang and seeing lukewarm/mixed reviews about the B&O option. Of course, the radio was off during my brief test drive before ordering. Since sound quality is pretty subjective, I’m hoping someone here has also had some seat time with a system I’m familiar with and can rate the Mustang’s in relative terms.

I’m hoping the Mustang will be as good or better - if not, I think I’ll have to plan for an upgrade when my GT arrives.
I’ve noticed that when I did upgrades to my 24’s sound system the speakers are stamped with the Ford logo, leading me to believe just what the screen says on start up….”sound system designed by B&O” meaning that Ford don’t use B&O hardware just the name. 😂

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue Mach 1
B&O is not considered to be high end audio. Historically, their focus has been on their Scandinavian design, with sound quality being secondary, so not sure what the big deal is anyway. If it were, say MacIntosh, JBL, Mark Levinson, B&W or Krell I might think you’d be less disappointed.

OP
OP
MidLifeManifustang

MidLifeManifustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, it’s a brand licensing thing for sure. No expectation that B&O had much to do with it IRL but it’s supposed to be the “upgraded” option.

At least Ford didn’t pick a truly asinine affiliation like VW and Nissan did with Fender. If you’ve ever tried to play any audio source other than an actual musical instrument through one of Fender’s amps, you’ll know what I mean.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue Mach 1
Yeah, it’s a brand licensing thing for sure. No expectation that B&O had much to do with it IRL but it’s supposed to be the “upgraded” option.

At least Ford didn’t pick a truly asinine affiliation like VW and Nissan did with Fender. If you’ve ever tried to play any audio source other than an actual musical instrument through one of Fender’s amps, you’ll know what I mean.
That was a really stupid move on their behalf for sure.

carcinoid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See signature
I was watching the video below of a stereo install on the last gen. At the 7:09 mark he talks about an amp integration kit and says that Ford is being weird because the stereo is branded B&O but the amp (and subsequently the kit he has to use) is Sony.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I was watching the video below of a stereo install on the last gen. At the 7:09 mark he talks about an amp integration kit and says that Ford is being weird because the stereo is branded B&O but the amp (and subsequently the kit he has to use) is Sony.

It's all made by Visteon anyway I believe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I emailed B&O about getting stats for our cars such as wattage and ohms per speaker. This is the response I received:

“Thank you for contacting Bang & Olufsen Customer Care regarding your 2024 Mustang GT.

We will be more than happy to assist you with your query. Unfortunately, for the B&O sound system in vehicles, you will need to get in touch with your dealership or car manufacturer regarding the question as we do not officially support this anymore.

In May 2015, Harman International (which later became a subsidiary of Samsung), announced the completion of its acquisition of Bang & Olufsen Automotive car audio business. In March 2017, Tymphany, an audio ODM based in Hong Kong and with manufacturing operations in Dongchen, announced the acquisition of the engineering and manufacturing operation in the Czech Republic from Bang & Olufsen.

Should you require any other assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards,

Amy | Bang & Olufsen Customer Care
Email: [email protected] | Hotline: +44 20 37 69 02 54
BANG & OLUFSEN”

carcinoid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See signature
I just tried out the B&O. The salesman let me sit in it for as long as I wanted. I tried all the settings and EQ adjustments and with a variety of music styles through USB with high def audio. It’s not a bad system, but it isn’t great. Sure, it beats a lot of base OEM systems but if you’re really into car audio it’s a disappointment. It has a similar sound stage and space constraints as my LC500 but it doesn’t even come close on clarity or power, especially the deeper bass tones. If you want great audio, skip the upgrade and save the money for aftermarket.

OP
OP
MidLifeManifustang

MidLifeManifustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I emailed B&O about getting stats for our cars such as wattage and ohms per speaker. This is the response I received:

“Thank you for contacting Bang & Olufsen Customer Care regarding your 2024 Mustang GT.

We will be more than happy to assist you with your query. Unfortunately, for the B&O sound system in vehicles, you will need to get in touch with your dealership or car manufacturer regarding the question as we do not officially support this anymore.

In May 2015, Harman International (which later became a subsidiary of Samsung), announced the completion of its acquisition of Bang & Olufsen Automotive car audio business. In March 2017, Tymphany, an audio ODM based in Hong Kong and with manufacturing operations in Dongchen, announced the acquisition of the engineering and manufacturing operation in the Czech Republic from Bang & Olufsen.

Should you require any other assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards,

BANG & OLUFSEN”
Wow. Fascinating to see such a disavowal while this is still on their site:
https://corporate.bang-olufsen.com/en/partners/automotive/ford/mustang

That said, there’s more ad copy here than technical detail…

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
Wow. Fascinating to see such a disavowal while this is still on their site:
https://corporate.bang-olufsen.com/en/partners/automotive/ford/mustang

That said, there’s more ad copy here than technical detail…
It's called passing the buck. They are probably under NDA from Ford not to reveal specifics.
Visteon, the makers of the Mach systems in the older Mustangs did the same thing.

That being said, I'm a musician / audiophile with a small project studio in my home and have been at this since the 70's so I know decent sound when I hear it even though my ears aren't what they used to be as they top out around 10k. Not bad for a 64yo.
Anyway, coming from a 2003 with a Mach 1000 system with the 2 subs in the trunk, while nowhere near as good as a custom component system, is pretty balanced and decent. Good in the boom boom factor but not so great in the mids and highs.
While I haven't played much with the B&O system in my 2024, to my ears it's crisp and clear enough, but lame in the bass which is more of a lower midrange thump, thump than a deep bass sub. To me it's like a 6 inch sub trying to play with the big boy 12 inch subs. Like I said, the rest of the system sounds decent, at least to me. I've heard much better factory car systems and much worse as well. Nice stereo image, no distortion, no beaming etc. A decent component system of course would be far superior, even a low cost one.

FWIW, I listen to classic Jazz, 70's rock, pop, R&B (Earth Wind and Fire) classical, Broadway and so forth.

Last edited:

Stangerous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium, 2020 Mustang GT Premium c

Kind regards,

BANG & OLUFSEN”
Yeah, it’s very annoying they advertise it as a B&zone sound system when in reality the start up display tells the truth, Sound system designed by B&O. When I upgraded mine the crap speakers were stamped Ford on the crappy magnet. I don’t know what they designed, maybe Ford just paid them to use their name to upsell their crap. 🤪

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
…That being said…

nowhere near as good as a custom component system

While I haven't played much with the B&O system in my 2024, to my ears it's crisp and clear enough, … the system sounds pretty decent, at least to me. Nice stereo image, no distortion, no beaming etc.
Three channels (band) does not an eq make.
Sponsored

Last edited: