• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Locking car with fob in car

dh3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, 301a, Auto, Black, Black accent package
Is there a way to do this and use the Ford Pass app to unlock. I hate carrying that fob in my pocket.
Sponsored

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
It's a bad idea because somebody could break a window and drive off with your car. They wouldn't even need to find the FOB, just push the start button.
Besides that it would unlock the moment they touched the door so they wouldn't even need to break a window. About the only way out would be to remove the batteries or possibly a faraday bag but I don't know how well they work as one of the requirement of faraday cage is that all the mesh be well grounded.

ThorsStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s650 GT Premium NPP PP
On my F-150 if I lock the fob in the truck you cannot unlock the truck with the biometric approach by touching the handle. You can unlock using the code or as you mentioned you can break the window with a crowbar

goodlettjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
On my F-150 if I lock the fob in the truck you cannot unlock the truck with the biometric approach by touching the handle. You can unlock using the code or as you mentioned you can break the window with a crowbar
This is correct. Same on my fusion.

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
Is there a way to do this and use the Ford Pass app to unlock. I hate carrying that fob in my pocket.
Don’t the dealers give you two FOBs one for the owner and another one for the wife? Duh?

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Don’t the dealers give you two FOBs one for the owner and another one for the wife? Duh?
If you lose one, you still need one to introduce the new FOB to the car.

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
I
If you lose one, you still need one to introduce the new FOB to the car.
That’s a bit different due to the first statement was leaving the FOB in the car! I get what you meant as loss of the key outside the car which is entirely different. Lol!!

bloominguez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Why not get a Faraday pouch, and just put the key in it? Then you can put the key in the car all day long. Lock and unlock with your phone (if you're comfortable with that). Good practice to keep keys that allow automatic unlocking in Faraday pouches anyway, so even if you didn't want to do this you should have some.

jamespmoran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150, 2020 Explorer ST, 2004 Thunderbird
Unfortunately Ford did not include the key pad on the mustang. I have a 22 F-150, and like the other post I leave my key fob in the console and use the key pad. The only time I take the fob with me is when I am parked at the airport, or traveling in an unfamiliar location.

goodlettjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Why not get a Faraday pouch, and just put the key in it? Then you can put the key in the car all day long. Lock and unlock with your phone (if you're comfortable with that). Good practice to keep keys that allow automatic unlocking in Faraday pouches anyway, so even if you didn't want to do this you should have some.
I don't think the premise is to block the signal here. The premise is to leave it in the car and not have to carry it around. The fob wont allow the vehicle to be unlocked if it is inside the car. Faraday pouch or not. I also wouldn't want to have to take it out of a pouch to start the vehicle. This is all about convenience.

A faraday pouch is to keep people form grifting the signal to make a device the emits the same signal. That can be done if you're carrying it around in your pocket. Same as a RFID credit card.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Why not bribe a volunteer to sit inside and see what’s possible….

bloominguez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think the premise is to block the signal here. The premise is to leave it in the car and not have to carry it around. The fob wont allow the vehicle to be unlocked if it is inside the car. Faraday pouch or not. I also wouldn't want to have to take it out of a pouch to start the vehicle. This is all about convenience.

A faraday pouch is to keep people form grifting the signal to make a device the emits the same signal. That can be done if you're carrying it around in your pocket. Same as a RFID credit card.
I think you're missing my point. If you want to leave the key in the car and not have to carry it around, blocking the signal *is* one way to do that.

No idea what you're talking about when you say, "The fob wont allow the vehicle to be unlocked if it is inside the car. Faraday pouch or not." This is factually incorrect. (How would the car know if the key was inside or not, if the key is in a Faraday pouch??) Have you tried? I did. Worked exactly as I remember.

Lock car, toss key on the seat, close door. >> Door is not allowed to lock.
Lock car, put key in Faraday pouch, toss pouch on the seat, close door. >> Door is locked. Door is able to be unlocked with Fordpass app.

So you do need to block the signal if you want to lock the key in the car and open with the app. On cars that have the numeric keypad Ford is known for, the keypad knows to ignore the fact that the key is in the car so no signal blocking (no pouch) is required--that's the whole reason for the keypad, of course. Although I'm less impressed with recent implementations of the keypad (Bronco, Ranger, and others probably) where the keypad is not hardwired to the car so its battery will need to be replaced periodically.

bloominguez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why not bribe a volunteer to sit inside and see what’s possible….
No need for a volunteer. Just have your second key nearby. Or if you're super lazy (like me) just pull the physical key out of the fob. In case the test fails and unlocking with the Fordpass app doesn't work for you, just use the physical key to unlock.

OP
OP

dh3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, 301a, Auto, Black, Black accent package
The Faraday pouch does the trick
Sponsored