• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Is Ford Selling Our Driving Data to Insurance Companies?

Darkness24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang Gt Ordered 2024 Dark Horse Premium
So, is Ford selling our data to the insurance companies like other manufacturers? If so, there will be many pissed off Mustang owners who won't be able to acquire insurance for their vehicles. This is worrisome! Any knowledge anyone can drop or any thoughts.
Sponsored

Ryunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 convertible, 1971 Mach1
So, is Ford selling our data to the insurance companies like other manufacturers? If so, there will be many pissed off Mustang owners who won't be able to acquire insurance for their vehicles. This is worrisome! Any knowledge anyone can drop or any thoughts.
They will sell it to anyone for a profit, read the EULA.

OP
OP
Darkness24

Darkness24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang Gt Ordered 2024 Dark Horse Premium
GM was selling data to the insurance companies & after backlash has announced that they will no longer sell the information to the insurance companies. was wondering if other manufacturers were following suit.? GM customers were getting their insurance canceled & were unable to acquire insurance for any of their vehicles! Anyone heard this about any other manufacturers? Dodge-Tesla-BMW-Mercedes-VW-Mcclaren-Lamborghini-Ferrari???

Next question is how to get around this issue? Any knowledge? Is it as simple as turning something off in the touchscreen or is there a fuse that needs to be pulled?

I would think there would be a pretty large pushback towards manufacturers on this topic. Those who depend on driving for a living that can't get insurance because of this would be in a serious predicament.

They will sell it to anyone for a profit, read the EULA.
If that's the case then hell there should be many startups out there purchasing & reselling the information. Sounds like a business opportunity if you don't mind ruining peoples lives! LOL!

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
Connect to the internet so you can download these cool new gauges for 60th anniversary….

Then they turn around and sell all the data they just got from you from connecting your car…

They aren’t dumb

JAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Connect to the internet so you can download these cool new gauges for 60th anniversary….

Then they turn around and sell all the data they just got from you from connecting your car…

They aren’t dumb
If I connect just to download the latest software update while the car is parked and then disconnect, what data is there to collect?

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
If I connect just to download the latest software update while the car is parked and then disconnect, what data is there to collect?
Our cars do store data … they have their own black box if you know what I mean… over on the S550 forums they are actually are disconnecting the modem in the trunk so there is no way for Ford to get our data

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Its called plug in simulated drive time. Connect a dongle and feed it all the perfect driving data it can handle. One of the problems with the data collection is: the systems aren’t even close to being perfect. Random brake alert pops up due sun glare or bug splat and ding ding insurance says you’re a bad driver. Cross the line because sombodys trash is in the road, ding ding bad driver …. So on and so forth.

MJS54

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 Corvette Cpe, '18 Lexus ES 350, '23 Bronco Spt
And unfortunately, Mustangs like Camaros, cost more to insure. When I bought my '94 Vette, my insurance $400 less every six months than a '94 Camaro Z28...why? Because the Camaro was involved in more accidents, stolen more, driven by a younger crowd and not garaged as much as the Vette. The data, unfortunately, does not lie and that's what insurance companies rely on.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Its called plug in simulated drive time. Connect a dongle and feed it all the perfect driving data it can handle. One of the problems with the data collection is: the systems aren’t even close to being perfect. Random brake alert pops up due sun glare or bug splat and ding ding insurance says you’re a bad driver. Cross the line because sombodys trash is in the road, ding ding bad driver …. So on and so forth.
Cute, but you don't have the first clue how to do it right?

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That has zero to do with what I asked.
Not gonna give you step by step how to do, but sharing information that doesnt take too much to connect the dots makes sense.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That has zero to do with what I asked.
The issue is with the data that is collected, even without tampering, is suspect at best. The systems that make the data entry are susceptible to anomies that are not reflected in the adjusted rate determination.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
The issue is with the data that is collected, even without tampering, is suspect at best. The systems that make the data entry are susceptible to anomies that are not reflected in the adjusted rate determination.
Try again

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Try again
Ever cross the line or changed lanes without the turn signal being activated (aint nobody else on the road so who am i signaling)? The lane change is a ‘gig’ data recorded and reported.
Sponsored