• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Increased Air Intake

sicksix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 Limited, 2022 Ford Explorer ST-Line
Wondering if anyone has seen this or tried it. I'm guessing it's probably not worth the effort for minimal gains, but if the DH has it fully open, maybe there is something to it. Thoughts?
Sponsored

JAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
It's been discussed extensively on Mustang6G forum. My takeaway from what I read is that there are no gains to be made, and it could be detrimental. Something about smaller opening creating more pressure for increased air velocity. We don't know for a fact whether Dark Horse has the same tune as GT and until we do, I'm leaving my grille untouched.

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
I havenā€™t taken the time to watch my AIT when driving compared to moving. I donā€™t care to be honest. Itā€™s a street car, not a race car or track car so Iā€™m not that concerned about what minimal gains if any this could provide. Nor am I thrilled about cutting a few plastics molds off my grill and having to touch it up with paint.

Now, what I would have to look at it that opening in the filter box. Opening that up might help and wouldnā€™t require touch up paint. However, it would most likely be minimal or no gains at all as well.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wondering if anyone has seen this ā€¦Thoughts?
Saw a little bit ago, the potential for inadvertent mishap outweighs the potential of projected gains.

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
what would happen if tb2 acted in unison with tb1
Iā€™m not sure I understand your question? Are you implying both throttle bodies donā€™t open in unison?

JoesProGTO

Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Pro Street 74 GTO, 2024 Mustang GT Premium Coupe
A couple of thoughtsā€¦I believe that the engineers did that for a reasonā€¦perhaps if opened too much, there would be turbulence in the intake stream hurting flow (velocity)ā€¦plus, simply, more DIRT would enter the air box! I havenā€™t seen the DH nostrils up close but Iā€™m thinking that the front of the nostrils are wide open, but perhaps further in there may be a plastic grid to manage air flow / speed?

OP
OP
sicksix

sicksix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 Limited, 2022 Ford Explorer ST-Line
A couple of thoughtsā€¦I believe that the engineers did that for a reasonā€¦
Agreed, especially after seeing some of the holes partially open, some fully open, some closed. Certainly looks intentional for function and looks.

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang
Iā€™m not sure I understand your question? Are you implying both throttle bodies donā€™t open in unison?
They don't.

"At low engine speeds a single throttle body opens for efficiency, with the second throttle body opening in synch at higher engine speeds to maximise power."

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They don't.

"At low engine speeds a single throttle body opens for efficiency, with the second throttle body opening in synch at higher engine speeds to maximise power."
That was my understanding as well:

ā€˜ Ford created a new set of cylinder heads, upgraded all four of the camshafts, and implemented a dual air intake box with dual 80mm throttle bodies. While a unique approach to air acquisition, the twin 80mm throttle bodies minimize induction loss by enabling higher air flow rates. This strategy is biased towards one opening at low RPM and load, but then the two work together and sync up on the way to wide open throttle.ā€™

https://www.enginelabs.com/news/2024-s650-ford-mustang-gt-to-be-powered-by-gen-4-coyote/

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
They don't.

I gotcha. I wasnā€™t aware of this. Interesting concept. Just like the old six pack/barrel option mopar had back in the day.

93-Oct Mayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
My hood lifts at high speed as it is
Sponsored