• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

How to do a nationwide search

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 GT Convertible 401A, AVE, Brembos
Is there an easy way to search for a car nationally? I use the build site but it limits you to 100 miles from a particular zip code. Is there a way to search the entire country at once rather than having to pick zip codes across the country over and over? My build is apparently very rare in the wild, but I'm not sure why. Looking for a GT Premium convertible, DMG, manual transmission with 401A, Active Valve and the Brembo package.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Is there an easy way to search for a car nationally? I use the build site but it limits you to 100 miles from a particular zip code. Is there a way to search the entire country at once rather than having to pick zip codes across the country over and over? My build is apparently very rare in the wild, but I'm not sure why. Looking for a GT Premium convertible, DMG, manual transmission with 401A, Active Valve and the Brembo package.
You can change to range up to 200 mile in Price and Build by adjusting the radius in the web address. That’s about it for Ford. You can search nationally on sites like cars.com.

https://shop.ford.com/inventory/mustang/results?zipcode=47905&Radius=100&modeltrim=Mustang_F05-DARKHORSEPREMIUM&year=2024&Order=Distance&intcmp=fv-fbc-sum-cta-si-mustang

Phrawst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Premium DMG PP
Not sure of a good way to do a nationwide search. I tried autotrader, cars.com, and cargurus, but they only show dealers that list on them. I've found a few dealers in my area that don't list on them.

I will say something I've noticed from my wide searches across those three sites is DMG doesn't pull up many results for GT base or premium. I find a lot more results for DMG on ecoboost and mach-e models.

My build is a DMG GT premium so I like checking out the pics in the color thread on these forums. That thread only has 4 pages which may be an indicator of how popular that color is at the moment.

OP
OP
samson

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can change to range up to 200 mile in Price and Build by adjusting the radius in the web address. That’s about it for Ford. You can search nationally on sites like cars.com.

https://shop.ford.com/inventory/mustang/results?zipcode=47905&Radius=100&modeltrim=Mustang_F05-DARKHORSEPREMIUM&year=2024&Order=Distance&intcmp=fv-fbc-sum-cta-si-mustang
Thanks. Yeah that's what I've been doing. Frustrating experience. Wish they would just allow for an "unlimited" choice on the radius like cars.com does. I talked to one dealer who basically said the only way you're going to find this particular build is to order it. And so far he's right. Seems like the only convertible manual GTs out there are either fully loaded PP, or bare bones.

Wonder how long it takes to order at this point?

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Yeah for some reason Ford doesn't let you search nationally. I find that strange but it might have something to do with region allocation or something behind the scenes.

I second @Bikeman315 and say definitely use Autotrader, Cars.com or CarGurus - search NEW (or used with like less than 300 miles maybe) with your search criteria and they will populate for you.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Not sure of a good way to do a nationwide search. I tried autotrader, cars.com, and cargurus, but they only show dealers that list on them. I've found a few dealers in my area that don't list on them.

I will say something I've noticed from my wide searches across those three sites is DMG doesn't pull up many results for GT base or premium. I find a lot more results for DMG on ecoboost and mach-e models.

My build is a DMG GT premium so I like checking out the pics in the color thread on these forums. That thread only has 4 pages which may be an indicator of how popular that color is at the moment.
Good point, it is up to the dealer that list them on there. Not everyone is willing to pay the $10 fee to list the car lol but you are 100% correct. Some dealers do without listing their cars besides on their own selective websites.

OP
OP
samson

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good point, it is up to the dealer that list them on there. Not everyone is willing to pay the $10 fee to list the car lol but you are 100% correct. Some dealers do without listing their cars besides on their own selective websites.
I've searched on cars.com a bunch of times. It's not bad but it has the limitations you mention. It is also fraught with errors. If I search manual transmission, at least 1 in 5 will wind up being automatic. Worse, you miss all the ones marked automatic that were acutally manual. The more you filter the results, the more errors you get. So it seems like the best way to do it is do a wide ranging search and look at them one by one. Obviously this takes forever.

I may just order at this point. I was hoping to get lucky and find one on a lot but it's not looking good.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
I've searched on cars.com a bunch of times. It's not bad but it has the limitations you mention. It is also fraught with errors. If I search manual transmission, at least 1 in 5 will wind up being automatic. Worse, you miss all the ones marked automatic that were acutally manual.
LOL okay that isn't Cars.com fault, that is 100% the dealer being dumb. When I bought mine they listed it as an automatic and I was like, umm did you not see the 3rd pedal or the window sticker? 🤣

Sadly this happens quite often. Apparently paddle shifters count as a manual? I have my millennial generation to blame for that I think! LOL I can get behind saying it is an auto-manual but not a real stick. đź•ą

OP
OP
samson

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LOL okay that isn't Cars.com fault, that is 100% the dealer being dumb. When I bought mine they listed it as an automatic and I was like, umm did you not see the 3rd pedal or the window sticker? 🤣

Sadly this happens quite often. Apparently paddle shifters count as a manual? I have my millennial generation to blame for that I think! LOL I can get behind saying it is an auto-manual but not a real stick. đź•ą
Oh I know, I don't blame the website. I blame the lazy salesperson that listed it. I looked at a used '23 in-person about six months ago. Listed as automatic (it was a stick) and shadow black (it was antimatter blue). Loved it, except the color. I couldn't get with that antimatter strange color.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Yeah for some reason Ford doesn't let you search nationally. I find that strange but it might have something to do with region allocation or something behind the scenes.
This is most likely due to a stipulation in their dealer agreement. If I were a dealer in Denver I wouldn't want a potential customer to search in Chicago.

dfwford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT Premium
CarGurus is my favorite.

As a bonus, TrueCar is also good for getting a detailed breakdown of the features that come with different trim levels.

dfwford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is most likely due to a stipulation in their dealer agreement. If I were a dealer in Denver I wouldn't want a potential customer to search in Chicago.
Interestingly enough, the GM Supplier Discount website doesn't have a similar restriction, as you can search for vehicles at any dealer within a 2K mile radius of your zip code.

Last edited:

dfwford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some dealers might not sell to you if your not in the local vicinity ..I know my dealer won’t sell if your a out of state buyer ..they are weird
I wouldn't say it's weird, because I get why they wouldn't entertain non-local sales.

For one reason, out of state buyers can be flaky. They know you either have to arrange for travel or shipping, and that gets to be a logistical nightmare. If you miss your flight, or if the trucking company is late, that can cause a big headache for the dealer to plan around.

Also, common sense dictates the only reason you're shopping out of state is to pinch pennies. So why should they waste time/resources on your sale when they can sell it to someone locally who isn't nearly as price conscious at a higher markup?

There's also the complications with, financing, taxes & registration too. Not all banks/credit unions do business nationally, and not all.states provide temp tags (or even accept out-of-state temp tags). If you're financing the car, they want to be sure all expenses are paid before you sign the paperwork for their protection.

That said, you do have a few dealers that make out-of-state purchases work to their benefit (Chapman, Granger, etc.).

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Also, common sense dictates the only reason you're shopping out of state is to pinch pennies. So why should they waste time/resources on your sale when they can sell it to someone locally who isn't nearly as price conscious at a higher markup?
Or the searcher, as in this case, is looking for a car with specific build requirements. I think this would be the #1 reason except for those looking for cars with heavy ADM's.

dfwford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Or the searcher, as in this case, is looking for a car with specific build requirements. I think this would be the #1 reason except for those looking for cars with heavy ADM's.
True, but I'm looking at it from a dealer perspective.

I can understand why they would be skeptical of such buyers and may choose to not do business with them. The time they're wasting trying to play detective & scope out how serious your out-of-state purchase might be is time they can use going after local buyers.
Sponsored