• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

GT vs Dark Horse

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EcoBoost (101A)
All right, I gotta know: For daily driving and very occasionally spirited driving at 5mph over the speed limit max, how good is the MT-82?
Sponsored

Karguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger 6.4 Widebody 6 speed
All right, I gotta know: For daily driving and very occasionally spirited driving at 5mph over the speed limit max, how good is the MT-82?
Only time will tell if the new chinese made Getrag is as good as the mexican made Tremec...The Tremec is sturdy but also a little a mans transmission that needs precise inputs and not as slick as you would find in a Miata or Porsche...But it will last and take abuse !

Karguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm just asking because as of right now, the only reason I'd consider a Dark Horse is for the Tremec. I liked it in the Mach 1 and found it to be very smooth and nice in the GT350, despite both times being relatively brief test drives at low speeds in appropriate places to get reacquainted with manuals in the first place (Prior to then the last time I drove a stick was when I was learning how to drive in the mid-2000s).

I'm still conflicted whether I want to even go manual or not. The main two benefits for me would be just having the ability to consistently drive stick and have a better likelihood of deterring thieves from stealing my future GT (it would be my daily and because I live with my parents I have to park outside on the driveway.)

On the other hand though, I feel like I would have to take a month off to feel confident and consistent enough to drive a manual regularly, and I'm not sure it's that worth it to me. Consequently I'm horrified of stalling in the middle of a mainline road where there's regular moving traffic, even though where I live there's rarely if ever gridlock levels of stop and go style traffic. From my brief experiences of being the passenger, I'm not a fan of the rocking back and forth "rowing" feeling between shifting gears (I prefer smoothness I suppose). And from what I've read in these forums and M6G, the Getrag isn't up to par with a lot of people, but I'm sure if that's in the context of daily driving, track performance, or somewhere in between.

After that wall of explanation, should I specifically even be considering a manual for a GT in the first place? What do you find folks think? I'd appreciate any and all feedback for this one, thanks well in advance!
The only way I's get a automatic is a) only one leg b) go drag racing...Otherwise nothing beats being in control and rowing your owns gears and making your own music going up and down the rpm band...You can shift a manual as smotth as a automatic ! Only difference autos can shift faster and launch harder...But they are booring !

horned-toad

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
My only regret, not getting the performance pack.
Don't. The brembos can be added by themselves or retrofitted for half. And the braces are readily available from levittown. The Pp1 dampers are pretty sad. That 5 large could be more usefully applies in upgrades that actually work.

horned-toad

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
On the other hand though, I feel like I would have to take a month off to feel confident and consistent enough to drive a manual regularly
Give me 40-60 minutes with you and I'll have you calm as a clam. Plus all you have to do is practice. And in your case drive more. 3000 miles a year is not enough to keep your skills sharp regardless of trans.

horned-toad

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
The mt82 is just fine. You just need to treat it right and not try to money shift it or whatever. Manual is a deliberate activity. It's not a Xbox controller.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
The only way I's get a automatic is a) only one leg b) go drag racing...Otherwise nothing beats being in control and rowing your owns gears and making your own music going up and down the rpm band...You can shift a manual as smotth as a automatic ! Only difference autos can shift faster and launch harder...But they are booring !

Dang I think this is the second time you and I are agreeing lol ; )

I have test driven about 5 or 6 GT500s now… they are absolutely stupid fast…. But as great as the DCT is I just can’t replace my car with one.

I could however add a GT500

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
We need to teach you the art of taking the 30 mile route to buy a. Quart of milk.
Some folks get up early to work out, others start the day with a leisurely drive. If it aint required in order to get to work but others use an amount of time in their commute just to get there, being able to use ‘that time’ for fun may be a cost effective moment, If i could only figure out how to claim the sessions as ‘therapy’ …

Karguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not the Märzen, but I do have some Paulaner in the bar fridge.

We try to keep a good variety on hand for guests.

Screenshot_20240525_091658_Gallery.jpg
Here are the by far best beers of the world from the worlds oldest brewery...Germany still has the Edge when it comes to cars (Porsche) , motorcycles (BMW) , handguns (SIG 365) and of course BIER...As also the best amusement parks for adults...St. Pauli & the 'Nuerburgring...
Not the Märzen, but I do have some Paulaner in the bar fridge.

We try to keep a good variety on hand for guests.

Screenshot_20240525_091658_Gallery.jpg
Here should have been the Weihenspephaner beer page that for some reason did not load...LOL But anyways the blue label regular Hefeweizen , the red label Hefeweizen Dunkel , the green label Kristallweizen , the brown label Vitus Bockweizen and the Korbinian (the local saint of the bavarian beer brewers)0 LOL) Doppelbock are the Best ! Dont know where you can get in in a food desert like Michigan though...LOL Only one better is Franziskaner brewed by monks in a bavarian monastery is better...IMHO But even hard to find here in Commifornia lately...Prost !

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
Oh wait getting off track… I would much rather drink beer staring at a Dark Horse …there brought it back on track a little

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse, 2006 Mustang GT
The tremec is fantastic. However, IMO, I wouldn't want to daily it. To me it's for focused driving. I like an easier manual for a DD. I had a 2007 Honda Civic Si for a long time and that 6 speed manual was great for a DD. I understand people have different taste but driving in a big city every day, I want easier manual than the Tremec. Maybe the MT-82 is better for DD depending on the driver.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
And I..( waves tire iron around in a erratic circle) would much rather drink in a dark horse than *hic watch my beer in mit pretzel.
Haha. I thought you was gonna end with a donut. Lol. *hic, watch my beer i’ma honna du ah pretzel.
Sponsored