• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

GT Noise on startup and acceleration

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Atlas Blue
Ok so this would be easier to explain if I had a video of it but I don’t. Anyways, when I start my GT, I get this raspy metal echo noise, like a Pringle can for headers essentially, it isn’t louder than the exhaust cold starting but it’s there enough to hear, until it idles down and then it goes away and only comes back on a new startup or mild acceleration.

I also have another noise that I’ve noticed, if you are in park and slowly rev to about 2k rpm, there is a clicking noise from under the engine, it’s not rapid or extremely consistent but it’s there and idk what it is.

i was wondering if any of you that have the GT could go out and record your car starting from under the drivers side until it idles down. This could be completely normal for these gen 4’s but I don’t know. Post the video in the replies and I’ll watch them. As well as maybe record from under the drivers side and slowly rev to 2k and see if you hear the clicking.

I’ve not had any issues at all so far and I’m at 1,080 miles on it, no dummy lights and is running fine so I’m going to assume it’s harmless but it’s one of those things that now I’ve heard it, I can’t unhear it. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
we are going to have to hear it, but it sure sounds like the Gen III "typewriter tick". I have not heard of this on a Gen IV yet.

OP
OP
Carter1776

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I
we are going to have to hear it, but it sure sounds like the Gen III "typewriter tick". I have not heard of this on a Gen IV yet.

l will get a video in the morning after work. This sounds kinda similar to what tick I hear, but again I only hear mine when I slow rev to around 2k. Probably the same thing.

I still have no idea what the muffled rasp noise I hear is though.

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Mustang GT Vert , 2024 Mustang GT Vert

And I'm pretty sure Ford changed back to a steel oil pan on the S650. Wonder if this was part of the reason. Not sure what kind of pan they were running Gen 2 and earlier though.

OP
OP
Carter1776

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And I'm pretty sure Ford changed back to a steel oil pan on the S650. Wonder if this was part of the reason. Not sure what kind of pan they were running Gen 2 and earlier though.
If they did, it didn’t solve the tick. I’m pretty certain this is what I’m hearing tick wise.

I would still like someone to start their GT with exhaust on quiet and record with the phone right underneath the car drivers side so I can hear if they all sound how mine does.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Really difficult to diagnose without hearing. Swag, would say too many tics to terminate totally. Injectors, pulleys, cats, vibrations, etc. makes it real difficult.

the raspy at startup will be interesting. Could be anything from an open intake to a dry rub.

I’m thinking the tic from under would lean more toward exhaust and transmission or mounts than upperend drivetrain

any case, I’d keep an eye on the temps and pressures and watch for anomalies that pop up while you wait for fmc care.

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I tried to record this for you today but my phone automatically goes into Apple Car Play mode and locks out recording when I get in. I guess they don't want you driving and recording videos for safety reason. I didn't hear any clicking though. Maybe I can try again tomorrow and disconnect BT or something before I start the car tomorrow if you still need to hear something.

OP
OP
Carter1776

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I tried to record this for you today but my phone automatically goes into Apple Car Play mode and locks out recording when I get in. I guess they don't want you driving and recording videos for safety reason. I didn't hear any clicking though. Maybe I can try again tomorrow and disconnect BT or something before I start the car tomorrow if you still need to hear something.
I’d just like to hear what the car sounds like from a cold start to idle down from under the car, I think what I was hearing clicking wise was honestly the exhaust popping from being warm because it didn’t really happen at all today and I ran it pretty hard for a bit. For whatever reason I can’t post the video I took this morning, refuses to upload.

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’d just like to hear what the car sounds like from a cold start to idle down from under the car, I think what I was hearing clicking wise was honestly the exhaust popping from being warm because it didn’t really happen at all today and I ran it pretty hard for a bit. For whatever reason I can’t post the video I took this morning, refuses to upload.
Which exhaust mode are you looking for or does it not matter? Quiet, Normal, Sport or Track and where should the phone be placed precisely?

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Turn off the blue tooth on your cell phone. If you have an iPhone, you can access it on the initial screen and dragging it down. Airplane mode doesn't do it because it leaves blue tooth on.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
Ok so this would be easier to explain if I had a video of it but I don’t. Anyways, when I start my GT, I get this raspy metal echo noise, like a Pringle can for headers essentially, it isn’t louder than the exhaust cold starting but it’s there enough to hear, until it idles down and then it goes away and only comes back on a new startup or mild acceleration.

I also have another noise that I’ve noticed, if you are in park and slowly rev to about 2k rpm, there is a clicking noise from under the engine, it’s not rapid or extremely consistent but it’s there and idk what it is.

i was wondering if any of you that have the GT could go out and record your car starting from under the drivers side until it idles down. This could be completely normal for these gen 4’s but I don’t know. Post the video in the replies and I’ll watch them. As well as maybe record from under the drivers side and slowly rev to 2k and see if you hear the clicking.

I’ve not had any issues at all so far and I’m at 1,080 miles on it, no dummy lights and is running fine so I’m going to assume it’s harmless but it’s one of those things that now I’ve heard it, I can’t unhear it. Thank you in advance.
Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.  

OP
OP
Carter1776

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which exhaust mode are you looking for or does it not matter? Quiet, Normal, Sport or Track and where should the phone be placed precisely?
Quiet mode, put the phone right underneath the drivers side seat, but under the car lol. Point it at the catalytic converters.
Quiet mode and put your Phone under the car behind the driver's side front tire.

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Quiet mode, put the phone right underneath the drivers side seat, but under the car lol. Point it at the catalytic converters.

Quiet mode and put your Phone under the car behind the driver's side front tire.
Here it is in quiet mode. Had to compress the video to get this website to accept the file size. I didn’t mess with the audio settings at all, just the video settings like fps. This was a cold start and you can hear it idle down about 50 seconds in.

OP
OP
Carter1776

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here it is in quiet mode. Had to compress the video to get this website to accept the file size. I didn’t mess with the audio settings at all, just the video settings like fps. This was a cold start and you can hear it idle down about 50 seconds in.

You rock! I hear the same noise I hear on mine, it’s like the rattle/rapid tick noise and then when you hear the idle down begin it goes away. I’m going to try to compress my video and see if I can post it on here and you can listen. Makes me feel more comfortable that yours also has that.

OP
OP
Carter1776

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine sounds louder than yours but it was 55 degrees and the car was completely cold.

Sponsored