• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

*VIDEO* GT Noise on Mild/Hard Acceleration

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Atlas Blue
I have noticed a noise that i believe may be for every GT owner but I'm not fully sure. When i kind of mash the gas or even when i full send, speed is subjective but lower speeds are more noticeable since the exhaust isn't as loud, that i can hear what almost sounds like an exhaust leak from the headers. It sounds like an extremely hollow but muffled exhaust rasp, but from the headers/cats area. The description isn't the best i know, but once you hear it, you can't unhear it.

A few weeks back i had posted about a noise on startup, and this noise is the same as i was describing then but i hear it when I'm driving as well and it's driving me nuts. I did go to my local dealership where they had a GT Premium and i started it just to listen for the noise and i heard it on theirs as well. It has since sold or i would go test drive it and see if it produces the noise I'm hearing.

For any GT owners that may be interested in seeing if this noise is common, remote start your car and listen from under the driver's side door at the exhaust note the car makes on startup, you'll hear it pretty loudly from the catalytic converter area, until idle down and then it goes away, that same noise is produced on my car but on accelerations as well. If you hear the odd noise from under the car at startup, go take a drive with the exhaust open or close, can be heard either way, windows down and music off, and mash it about halfway from a low speed or even a stop, and see if you notice it, again it'll resonate from under the driver's side catalytic converter area. It's easier to hear if you have buildings on either side.

I just find it hard to believe this is a common thing for all of the GTs because it sounds bad, but after hearing the same noise on the GT Premium i started up, I'm starting to think it may be a natural noise the S650 makes. I haven't had anyone drive my S650 with me outside to see how noticeable it is to others, but i can distinctly hear it over the open track exhaust when accelerating so I'm sure it has to be noticeable.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Carter1776

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*Addition*

I just thought that maybe what i am hearing is the exhaust resonating through the resonator? I mean it's really there on cold starts and then once it begins idle down, or I start it and immediately shift into D/R it goes away. It isn't there on normal acceleration, like i said Mild/Hard so maybe the uptick in exhaust pushing through the resonator is making the noise? I just find it hard to convince myself its the reso because it sounds like its coming from between the cats and headers, i dunno. I may be stressing over something that's normal.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
One way to check to see if what you are hearing is resonator related. As long as you are able to replicate the sound on demand try to replicate it on a vehicle with the resonator delete option installed.

OP
OP
Carter1776

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One way to check to see if what you are hearing is resonator related. As long as you are able to replicate the sound on demand try to replicate it on a vehicle with the resonator delete option installed.
So I have a Steeda H-Pipe ready to go on, my local shop is booked up and I donā€™t feel comfortable doing it myself. Iā€™m going to try and get it squeezed in soon to see if thatā€™s what Iā€™m hearing. Iā€™d still like to know if itā€™s a common thing among GTs though.

OP
OP
Carter1776

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can confirm it was not the reso, car sounds a lot better with the H-pipe, I still hear the noise. I had the tech look for exhaust leaks as well and he didn't find any. So it really only leaves that it's either normal or something is wrong with the car itself. I need to find another GT to test drive and see if I hear it.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can confirm it was not the reso, car sounds a lot better with the H-pipe, I still hear the noise. I had the tech look for exhaust leaks as well and he didn't find any. So it really only leaves that it's either normal or something is wrong with the car itself. I need to find another GT to test drive and see if I hear it.
The response / actions by the tech may provide a hint. If the tech was like, yeah whatā€™s up with that, you really should get that looked at. Or if the tech was like, what sound, can you point it out?

OP
OP
Carter1776

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is a video of what I'm hearing. It's a mix of the tick and like a metallic noise. What do you guys think?

RJV15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si
Thats an interesting noise. Almost sounds like very thin metal that is vibrating.
How close to the oil pan are you?

Putting it on the lift or getting under the car should help you at least located where its coming from.

OP
OP
Carter1776

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats an interesting noise. Almost sounds like very thin metal that is vibrating.
How close to the oil pan are you?

Putting it on the lift or getting under the car should help you at least located where its coming from.
From under the car I hear it but pin pointing it is hard. Between the oil pan, cats, and transmission I can't pinpoint it. Does anyone else notice this on their GT?

Mljh85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I did but not that loud actually sounded like loose metal kinda thing. I'm due for my 1k oil change so when it's up I'll start it and see if I can find it

OP
OP
Carter1776

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did but not that loud actually sounded like loose metal kinda thing. I'm due for my 1k oil change so when it's up I'll start it and see if I can find it
Try recording like I did when you start and see. I notice this noise when I'm accelerating as well, driving me nuts.

packfan021488

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Shadow Black GT PP
this reminds me of the 2K rattle on my last S550 that shit drove me nuts. I owned that car for 4 years and never got used to it. These coyotes are a noisy engines in general

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is a video of what I'm hearing. It's a mix of the tick and like a metallic noise. What do you guys think?

Is the a/c on? Are you able to tell if a compressor or fan is running as well?

OP
OP
Carter1776

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
this reminds me of the 2K rattle on my last S550 that shit drove me nuts. I owned that car for 4 years and never got used to it. These coyotes are a noisy engines in general
I had a 2015 5.0 and it was super quiet, I put 40,000 miles on it in 3 years and never developed a noise. That's why this one is driving me nuts because it's the new and improved 5.0 and it's noisier than my 2015 šŸ˜‚
Sponsored