• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Got backed into, how bad does the damage look? Next steps?

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
So last night I got backed into……it wasn’t high speed and I wasn’t outside but I heard it from inside so I know it definitely got “hit” not just a bump.

The biggest issue is now there’s about a 1/4” gap between the hood and the front bumper. Micro scratches along with one real scratch.

How bad does this look? I don’t know anything about bumper repairs but I’m hoping it’s just some clips that are bent or dented. Also hard to tell if the hood got moved or the bumper did. Am I on the right track here or is it going to be worse?
It was my friend who did it so not sure we need to go through insurance here.
Just trying to figure out next steps.
ignore the dirty water spots, we had a huge storm last night.
:’(
S650 Mustang Got backed into, how bad does the damage look? Next steps? IMG_6760
S650 Mustang Got backed into, how bad does the damage look? Next steps? IMG_6761
S650 Mustang Got backed into, how bad does the damage look? Next steps? IMG_6762

S650 Mustang Got backed into, how bad does the damage look? Next steps? IMG_6763

S650 Mustang Got backed into, how bad does the damage look? Next steps? IMG_6764

S650 Mustang Got backed into, how bad does the damage look? Next steps? ?hash=9f5267566731cf2d61cd3ac750c1ca4d

S650 Mustang Got backed into, how bad does the damage look? Next steps? IMG_6766
Sponsored

Last edited:

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
its a plastic bumper, if theres no obvious cracks in the paint then its up to if you find it to be an eyesore, the upper portion is held on by plastic clips located underneath the radiator shroud if you want to check on them, just pop the hood and remove the shroud

OP
OP
Interstellar

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
its a plastic bumper, if theres no obvious cracks in the paint then its up to if you find it to be an eyesore, the upper portion is held on by plastic clips located underneath the radiator shroud if you want to check on them, just pop the hood and remove the shroud
Ok so remove shroud from the top front of the bumper and look for clips?

OP
OP
Interstellar

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
when i saw the dirt on your car from last nights storm, i knew you must have been from DFW lol

doesnt look too bad honestly.

also check out the DFW Dark Horse Owners page on FB, we have a meet coming up on Jan 27 in Plano
You're right it's not that bad but it certainly needs to be fixed. I just am clueless on the next steps to take. Like do I go to a body shop, a paint shop, a mustang mechanic and have them just reset the bumper? idkkk

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
Ok so remove shroud from the top front of the bumper and look for clips?
itll be very easy to spot, it runs right along the top and connects via screws and securing clips. just look for where the bumper paint ends and the black plastic begins

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
That doesn't look too bad. If it bothers you then you might want to get a repaint/new bumper shell but honestly I would just buff it out. It is on the front anyway, front bumpers will get destroyed through normal use like rock chips and running over people in crowded areas. :giggle:

OP
OP
Interstellar

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
That doesn't look too bad. If it bothers you then you might want to get a repaint/new bumper shell but honestly I would just buff it out. It is on the front anyway, front bumpers will get destroyed through normal use like rock chips and running over people in crowded areas. :giggle:
the paint isn’t my concern. It’s that’s the bumper is now off pretty significantly from the hood!
any feedback or tips on that would be greatly appreciated

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
the paint isn’t my concern. It’s that’s the bumper is now off pretty significantly from the hood!
any feedback or tips on that would be greatly appreciated
Oh gotcha, that is an easy fix. Just readjust that. Open the hood, remove the plastic radiator cover and you should see the bolts to adjust the bumper. I think there are either 6 or 8 of them including some bolts by the headlights. You should be able to get it aligned better that way.

Edson8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT
when i saw the dirt on your car from last nights storm, i knew you must have been from DFW lol

doesnt look too bad honestly.

also check out the DFW Dark Horse Owners page on FB, we have a meet coming up on Jan 27 in Plano
I was about to say the same thing about being from DFW lol, my GT is all dirty now 🥲

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
I think I would prefer to take it to a good Ford dealer and have them look at it.
It's hard to tell from the pictures but the hood may be bent up a little. The bend is most clear in the picture 7th from the top. The left side of the picture appears to have less curve than the right. Remember it's Aluminum so it's not as durable as steel. Ford can compare it against one on the lot to make sure it hasn't been damaged. It may be possible to bend it back to the correct position but they will have to determine the correct approach.
The plastic cover can be repaired and repainted. The one on my 96 mustang was hit in the rear with visible damage. The Ford dealer sent it out to somebody who repaired the damage and refinished it as good as new.
The energy absorbing system needs to be examined in detail. This will require removal of the plastic cover for a good look. Older systems often needed parts repaired however my 96 has a hard foam block that has taken two hits without damage. The second time I was charged under $100 to pull the cover, inspect and replace the cover.
Sponsored