• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Dyno with different active exhaust modes

Ryunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 convertible, 1971 Mach1
Has anyone do dyno runs in different exhaust modes? If so are there any differences?
Sponsored

ArthurJGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 GTO, '06 GTO, '22 Expy, '22 F-250, '24 Mustang
Don't expect there to be any measurable gains.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Track mode (itā€™s either there or in the ā€˜tuneā€™). Do the valves open fully (track mode) at wot (while doing a dyno run)? 6hp/3trq

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Has anyone do dyno runs in different exhaust modes? If so are there any differences?
I think it's down to the butt dyno.

When I change between modes, I'll feel a difference, but this is down more to throttle mapping, suspension adjustments and changes in the sound of the exhaust. Something might be truly measurable, but the differences will be very slight.

What is gained in any mode also has to be balanced against the negatives. For example, I pick-up a few HP in Track Mode, but now the dB of the exhaust probably exceeds local noise limits. More importantly, traction control is off, something which could be helpful on a chilly morning run.

OP
OP
Ryunker

Ryunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 convertible, 1971 Mach1
I think it's down to the butt dyno.

When I change between modes, I'll feel a difference, but this is down more to throttle mapping, suspension adjustments and changes in the sound of the exhaust. Something might be truly measurable, but the differences will be very slight.

What is gained in any mode also has to be balanced against the negatives. For example, I pick-up a few HP in Track Mode, but now the dB of the exhaust probably exceeds local noise limits. More importantly, traction control is off, something which could be helpful on a chilly morning run.
I get it changes in dyno's question is same dyno minutes between runs and are there changes? I understand the car parameters change, but why the +6 hp on the GT with active exhaust?

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
why the +6 hp on the GT with active exhaust?
Whatever might be occurring, I feel it's down to more than AE alone.

I know when I change from one mode to another, it's not just AE changing, but any number of components designed and programmed to compliment one-another. Throttle mapping, injectors, timing advance, fuel trims, all sense the direction to change and make adjustments accordingly.

It's a topic that's well-debated what torque and HP gains are made on a consistent basis.

I'll take whatever I can get. Am I getting 6HP? That's great; it'll help compensate for my often crappy driving abilities. :giggle:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Available to everyone, the "Ignore" feature.

Click on the Member who's proving irritating. Select the "Ignore" button. Service enables immediately. By default, the ignore is two-way; neither party will see one another, or their content.

The list of ignorees is saved to the Member's account preferences.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
but why the +6 hp on the GT with active exhaust?
The valves, reduction in back pressure, itā€™s my understanding (and feel free to correct me if Iā€™m wrong - thatā€™s what weā€™re here for) that regardless of selected mode (for lack of a better word weā€™ll call that mode a ā€˜tuneā€™) the exhaust valves on the ea exhaust open fully at wide open throttle (wot). So either ā€˜aeā€™ exhaust get a unique tune (and the major difference with the dh hp is ?) or the extra tips and resulting area once fully opened is what makes the difference? The mode may play a part and Iā€™m not sure too many have taken the time to measure any diff since theyā€™re more interested in the peak and curve.
Sponsored