• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Did I just get ripped off?

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Yeah, it felt weird when they brought it out about 30 minutes after they took it back and said, "You're good to go." 30 minutes isnt enough time to wash and dry it to get the fingerprints off it before applying anything. I know I had my dirty little hands all over the outside before I bought it that day!

I suspect they may have already done it on the showroom model and instead of doing the right thing and saying it already has it on it, they figured they could get the 1K back out of me.

I'll head over there today and see what they say. I'm curious now :punch:

Thanks everyone!!

I hope to hear good news but sadly I suspect it was one of those spray on ceramic waxes that they did. Looks good for a few months but you definitely overpaid for that kind of service.
Sponsored

Aramis76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Entirely depends on how much they charged you for that "ceramic coating".

They are likely playing with words and doing a wash with a nano ceramic liquid wax.

But as others have stated, an actual ceramic coating, good or bad, takes many hours and then needs to sit a bit before being exposed.

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
Your salesman was like this when you left.
You'd think with the power of the Internet this nonsense would have been stopped cold in the 90's...
Saw another dealer put $2000 "pre-sales prep" on every new car. It was 1 tank of gas, some window tint, and that most elusive of gasses, N2 filled tires. And that's before the $1200 doc fee.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
You'd think with the power of the Internet this nonsense would have been stopped cold in the 90's...
Saw another dealer put $2000 "pre-sales prep" on every new car. It was 1 tank of gas, some window tint, and that most elusive of gasses, N2 filled tires. And that's before the $1200 doc fee.
Right? Its free to pump up tires with nitrogen (if you really want it) at Costco while picking up a $1.50 hot dog. 🌭 Mmmm.

Why is it that Dealer's fancy air costs hundreds of dollars? Maybe it is "certified organic" or "gluten free" nitrogen that I didn't know about... 🤣 Save your money people, the air we breath is already filled with 78% nitrogen.

OP
OP
Spartan 818

Spartan 818

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
So...
I went to the dealership right after work yesterday. I asked them if they were going to schedule the ceramic coating anytime soon and the salesman said he would go check. He came back and said they could take it back right now and it would be about 30 minutes. He forgot that they said they had already done it on the day I signed the papers and picked it up. I confronted him about the 30 minute application and he confirmed it was just the quick bottle spray and wipe off... like many here speculated. He also told me there was an, "electronic rust protector" also installed on the ODB port. (I know... these are total garbage).

Now...
I, ultimately, felt ok about the $1058.00 price tag when he further explained that the $1000 price tag ALSO included a 10 year rust insurance plan. He said ANY rust on the body, frame or factory installed metal parts would be repaired or replaced no matter how small. It doesn't need to be a hole through the metal of a particular size, just rust. He added that if there is so much as a bubble in the paint caused by rust underneith they would cover it and repair. That seemed valuable enough to not get too p155ed. I did point out that calling the spray "ceramic coating" is a bit disingenuous. When someone says "ceramic coating" they picture real ceramic coating not a $15 bottle of turtlewax ceramic spray. He agreed at least.

Does anyone disagree that it SEEMS like an ok deal to have the 10 year rust coverage?

OP
OP
Spartan 818

Spartan 818

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
You got the typical dealer version, wash the car, spray on the ceramic coating and wipe it off.
I got took once to by a dealer.
The dealer version is useless and does not last.
You hit it exactly! Dealership confirmed.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
So...
I went to the dealership right after work yesterday. I asked them if they were going to schedule the ceramic coating anytime soon and the salesman said he would go check. He came back and said they could take it back right now and it would be about 30 minutes. He forgot that they said they had already done it on the day I signed the papers and picked it up. I confronted him about the 30 minute application and he confirmed it was just the quick bottle spray and wipe off... like many here speculated. He also told me there was an, "electronic rust protector" also installed on the ODB port. (I know... these are total garbage).

Now...
I, ultimately, felt ok about the $1058.00 price tag when he further explained that the $1000 price tag ALSO included a 10 year rust insurance plan. He said ANY rust on the body, frame or factory installed metal parts would be repaired or replaced no matter how small. It doesn't need to be a hole through the metal of a particular size, just rust. He added that if there is so much as a bubble in the paint caused by rust underneith they would cover it and repair. That seemed valuable enough to not get too p155ed. I did point out that calling the spray "ceramic coating" is a bit disingenuous. When someone says "ceramic coating" they picture real ceramic coating not a $15 bottle of turtlewax ceramic spray. He agreed at least.

Does anyone disagree that it SEEMS like an ok deal to have the 10 year rust coverage?
Well I need to pick this apart for you lol. I would be furious and ask for my money back but that is just me. 🤣

He came back and said they could take it back right now and it would be about 30 minutes. He forgot that they said they had already done it on the day I signed the papers and picked it up. I confronted him about the 30 minute application and he confirmed it was just the quick bottle spray and wipe off... like many here speculated.

Nice... so they were going to take your money and hope you were gullible enough not to notice that they didn't do shit to the car. The spray bottle cleaning takes 5 min at most... what the hell did they do for over 30 min??

He also told me there was an, "electronic rust protector" also installed on the ODB port. (I know... these are total garbage).

LOL here we go again with this nonsense device. Nothing should ever be put in the OBD port as it is specifically for diagnostic purposes. It was not ever designed to run with something plugged into it. Sadly, those insurance devices that some people use to plug into their car and it tracks their driving - those have been known to short out and completely ruin the electrical system of the car. Never use those either! But seriously, a device that plugs in and prevents rust... what a load of horse manure. 💩

Now...
I, ultimately, felt ok about the $1058.00 price tag when he further explained that the $1000 price tag ALSO included a 10 year rust insurance plan. He said ANY rust on the body, frame or factory installed metal parts would be repaired or replaced no matter how small. It doesn't need to be a hole through the metal of a particular size, just rust. He added that if there is so much as a bubble in the paint caused by rust underneith they would cover it and repair. That seemed valuable enough to not get too p155ed.

Look closely at that fine print! Most of the time the rust insurance plans out there are for completely perforated metal, not just some bubble that might occur. I am serious about this - look at your experience so far: did the dealer "ceramic coated" your car? NO. Why would there be any justification to believe them with this rust insurance? All they want is to make something sound good to you to keep you happy and KEEP YOUR MONEY hoping for you never to return until service is needed... I would absolutely demand your hard earned money back and not fall for their sales gimmicks. Even if rust did happen - I can guarantee you that they are going to fight you over it.

I did point out that calling the spray "ceramic coating" is a bit disingenuous. When someone says "ceramic coating" they picture real ceramic coating not a $15 bottle of turtlewax ceramic spray. He agreed at least.

Go get your money buddy. These crooks took you for a ride. Surprised they didn't upsell you with some Crystal Fusion Hydrophobic Windshield Coating for $799 as well with that mythical ceramic coating you supposedly got...

Okay my rant is done now. :) I feel much better getting this off my chest. 🤣 I just hate to see folks get taken advantage of.

budman00000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C8 2021 Kia Telluride 2021 Tucson and 06 350z
I just bought a 2024 Mustang GT Premium. I opted for the ceramic coat protection while sitting at the dealership signing the papers. They took the car out back and said it would be about 30-45 minutes to apply it but I could drive it immediately after.

My question is: is that enough time to ACTUALLY apply it or was it, likely, already on it and they deceived me into paying for what they had already put in it? Did they even put it on at all?

It was over a grand to have it put on at the dealership.
Something seems fishy.
RIP OFF

OP
OP
Spartan 818

Spartan 818

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Well I need to pick this apart for you lol. I would be furious and ask for my money back but that is just me. 🤣

He came back and said they could take it back right now and it would be about 30 minutes. He forgot that they said they had already done it on the day I signed the papers and picked it up. I confronted him about the 30 minute application and he confirmed it was just the quick bottle spray and wipe off... like many here speculated.

Nice... so they were going to take your money and hope you were gullible enough not to notice that they didn't do shit to the car. The spray bottle cleaning takes 5 min at most... what the hell did they do for over 30 min??

He also told me there was an, "electronic rust protector" also installed on the ODB port. (I know... these are total garbage).

LOL here we go again with this nonsense device. Nothing should ever be put in the OBD port as it is specifically for diagnostic purposes. It was not ever designed to run with something plugged into it. Sadly, those insurance devices that some people use to plug into their car and it tracks their driving - those have been known to short out and completely ruin the electrical system of the car. Never use those either! But seriously, a device that plugs in and prevents rust... what a load of horse manure. 💩

Now...
I, ultimately, felt ok about the $1058.00 price tag when he further explained that the $1000 price tag ALSO included a 10 year rust insurance plan. He said ANY rust on the body, frame or factory installed metal parts would be repaired or replaced no matter how small. It doesn't need to be a hole through the metal of a particular size, just rust. He added that if there is so much as a bubble in the paint caused by rust underneith they would cover it and repair. That seemed valuable enough to not get too p155ed.

Look closely at that fine print! Most of the time the rust insurance plans out there are for completely perforated metal, not just some bubble that might occur. I am serious about this - look at your experience so far: did the dealer "ceramic coated" your car? NO. Why would there be any justification to believe them with this rust insurance? All they want is to make something sound good to you to keep you happy and KEEP YOUR MONEY hoping for you never to return until service is needed... I would absolutely demand your hard earned money back and not fall for their sales gimmicks. Even if rust did happen - I can guarantee you that they are going to fight you over it.

I did point out that calling the spray "ceramic coating" is a bit disingenuous. When someone says "ceramic coating" they picture real ceramic coating not a $15 bottle of turtlewax ceramic spray. He agreed at least.

Go get your money buddy. These crooks took you for a ride. Surprised they didn't upsell you with some Crystal Fusion Hydrophobic Windshield Coating for $799 as well with that mythical ceramic coating you supposedly got...

Okay my rant is done now. :) I feel much better getting this off my chest. 🤣 I just hate to see folks get taken advantage of.
I completely agree with nearly everything you said. The rust insurance is in writing and they video the discussion (their policy). It spells out that the rust can be at a surface level and still warrant repair and he specifically showed me in the policy where if the paint is bubbled from suspected rust they would repair or replace it. We will see if they honor this if the time comes. If not I will wear them out in small claims court and eviscerate them online and they can decide if the $1000 was worth it.

However, the ODB port rust inhibitor (I had already removed it) and the ceramic coating are total bullshit and I'll note it in my review of the dealership.

As for my business... they've lost it and hopefully others will avoid them as well. They literally use the "ceramic coating" words knowing that people expect actual ceramic coating. Thats a knowingly false representation of what they are selling. You're right... I have a feeling that they're just crooks in the end.

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 GT Convertible 401A, AVE, Brembos
Water under the bridge at this point. The 10 year rust guarantee is at least something tangible you got for your money. I'd just move on and put this in the "lessons learned" category. End of the day a grand isn't going to put you on the poor house.

DevilDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT on order
I had mine ceramic coated right after I took delivery of it. The detail place where I took it had it for 3 days and charged me $1,400.

EdMan63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse, 2023 Explorer ST
Yea I had mine ceramic coated a couple of weeks ago with 130 miles on it. It still had quite a few surface scratches on it from the initail wash and prep. They had my car for 5 days ( weekend included). Paint is flawless now.

Trap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang Boss 302
As for my business... they've lost it and hopefully others will avoid them as well. They literally use the "ceramic coating" words knowing that people expect actual ceramic coating. Thats a knowingly false representation of what they are selling. You're right... I have a feeling that they're just crooks in the end.
Take it as a lesson well learned, and you will be prepared for the next time, as pretty much all dealers are pulling the same crap as yours did. It is part of the modern Dealership business practice.
Sponsored