• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Clean calipers with PP wheels?

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
How do you guy/gals clean your calipers with the PP wheels? It’s kind of a PITA to pull the wheels off every time
I recommend buying new wheels! :crazy:

Having dealt with the S550 PP1 wheels, I ended up buying every single brush known to man trying to keep those things clean, so you have my sympathy. If Ford ever get around to building my car, the wait is nearly two years and counting, I'll soon be joining you.

Two tools I found to make that process easier were an EZ-Detail brush, and a smaller finger mitt.

EZ Detail "Big EZ" Wheel Brush | Car Supplies Warehouse – Car Supplies Warehouse
THE RAG COMPANY | The Cyclone Ultra Wheel Mitt 2-pack – Car Supplies Warehouse
THE RAG COMPANY | ULTRA Wool Wheel Mitt (2pack) – Car Supplies Warehouse

S650 Mustang Clean calipers with PP wheels? IMG_9269

S650 Mustang Clean calipers with PP wheels? IMG_9270

S650 Mustang Clean calipers with PP wheels? IMG_2067

S650 Mustang Clean calipers with PP wheels? IMG_2069

S650 Mustang Clean calipers with PP wheels? IMG_2073
Sponsored

Last edited:

RLE55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4, 2024 Mustang GT Vert PP NP
If you choose a wheel specific coating, they are designed and tested to be withstand very high heat ratings. I highly recommend Armour Detail Supply High Temp Wheel Coating, which I'm told was tested up to 800 degrees C / 1480 f.

Armour Wheel Coating – Armour Detail Supply
I kinda thought it might need to be a hi-temp coating, not that we'll ever get them really hot during normal driving.

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
I recommend buying new wheels! :crazy:

Having dealt with the S550 PP1 wheels, I ended up buying every single brush known to man trying to keep those things clean, so you have my sympathy. If Ford ever get around to building my car, the wait is nearly two years and counting, I'll soon be joining you.

Two tools I found to make that process easier were an EZ-Detail brush, and a smaller finger mitt.

EZ Detail "Big EZ" Wheel Brush | Car Supplies Warehouse – Car Supplies Warehouse
THE RAG COMPANY | The Cyclone Ultra Wheel Mitt 2-pack – Car Supplies Warehouse
THE RAG COMPANY | ULTRA Wool Wheel Mitt (2pack) – Car Supplies Warehouse

IMG_9269.jpg

IMG_9270.jpg

IMG_2067.jpg

IMG_2069.jpg

IMG_2073.jpg
I have a 24 Mustang GT with the base 18" gloss black wheels. I have heard that you need to be very careful when cleaning gloss black wheels as they are prone to scratching easily. I am getting the wheels and rotors ceramic coated in a few weeks so that should help make them easier to keep clean. I think I will order the ultra wheel mitt 2 pack you posted but I'm not sure about the wheel brush. Is the Big EZ wheel brush soft enough to not scratch gloss black wheels?

I have seen this microfiber brush recommended as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Barrel-Blade...5221&sprefix=microfiber+wheel,aps,139&sr=8-10

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I have a 24 Mustang GT with the base 18" gloss black wheels. I have heard that you need to be very careful when cleaning gloss black wheels as they are prone to scratching easily. I am getting the wheels and rotors ceramic coated in a few weeks so that should help make them easier to keep clean. I think I will order the ultra wheel mitt 2 pack you posted but I'm not sure about the wheel brush. Is the Big EZ wheel brush soft enough to not scratch gloss black wheels?
Gloss black on any surface is going to show scratches and marring much more than any other finish, the best you can do is limit this by being as safe as possible.

The EZ-Detail brushes are softer than you think, but yes, they can be harder on gloss black wheels. I used those brushes out of necessity on the PP1 wheels, the spokes are just too close and brake rotor too large for other brushes. I figured that I wanted clean wheels and some marring rather than a buildup of brown brake dust.

But, considering the design of your wheels, you can easily use a microfiber brush instead. I would ignore the Amazon specials and direct you to either the Detail Factory Wheel Brush (which is on sale at the moment) or Microfiber Madness IncrediBrush Flat -

Detail Factory - Wheel Brush Kit | The Rag Company
Microfiber Madness Incredibrush Flat - Skys The Limit Car Care (carpro-us.com)

S650 Mustang Clean calipers with PP wheels? IMG_9555

S650 Mustang Clean calipers with PP wheels? IMG_9561

S650 Mustang Clean calipers with PP wheels? IMG_9569

S650 Mustang Clean calipers with PP wheels? IMG_9569

S650 Mustang Clean calipers with PP wheels? IMG_0352

S650 Mustang Clean calipers with PP wheels? IMG_0355

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Gloss black on any surface is going to show scratches and marring much more than any other finish, the best you can do is limit this by being as safe as possible.

The EZ-Detail brushes are softer than you think, but yes, they can be harder on gloss black wheels. I used those brushes out of necessity on the PP1 wheels, the spokes are just too close and brake rotor too large for other brushes. I figured that I wanted clean wheels and some marring rather than a buildup of brown brake dust.

But, considering the design of your wheels, you can easily use a microfiber brush instead. I would ignore the Amazon specials and direct you to either the Detail Factory Wheel Brush (which is on sale at the moment) or Microfiber Madness IncrediBrush Flat -

Detail Factory - Wheel Brush Kit | The Rag Company
Microfiber Madness Incredibrush Flat - Skys The Limit Car Care (carpro-us.com)

S650 Mustang Clean calipers with PP wheels? {filename}

I appreciate the reply. I did read in another post where you mentioned that the Big EX brush does a great job on wheel arches (even felt ones). So as you know my 24 GT has felt wheel arches and they really dirty really quick. Do you think it's worth buying the big EZ for the purpose of cleaning my wheel arches? Or maybe there's a cheaper alternative that will clean the felt wheel arches? Any suggestions would be great.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I appreciate the reply. I did read in another post where you mentioned that the Big EX brush does a great job on wheel arches (even felt ones). So as you know my 24 GT has felt wheel arches and they really dirty really quick. Do you think it's worth buying the big EZ for the purpose of cleaning my wheel arches? Or maybe there's a cheaper alternative that will clean the felt wheel arches? Any suggestions would be great.
With felt arch liners, the best thing is to blast them off with a pressure washer. A brush helps, but a pressure washer is much more effective.

The EZ-Detail Go (or the toilet brush as I call it) is the one I use for wheel arches, mainly because it's so ergonomic for that role. For $25 USD, that's a small price to pay for a brush that last you forever and does its job so well.

GO EZ Detail Brush (carpro-us.com)
EZ Detail "Go EZ" Detail Brush | Car Supplies Warehouse – Car Supplies Warehouse

S650 Mustang Clean calipers with PP wheels? IMG-4229

S650 Mustang Clean calipers with PP wheels? IMG-4227

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
With felt arch liners, the best thing is to blast them off with a pressure washer. A brush helps, but a pressure washer is much more effective.

The EZ-Detail Go (or the toilet brush as I call it) is the one I use for wheel arches, mainly because it's so ergonomic for that role. For $25 USD, that's a small price to pay for a brush that last you forever and does its job so well.

GO EZ Detail Brush (carpro-us.com)
EZ Detail "Go EZ" Detail Brush | Car Supplies Warehouse – Car Supplies Warehouse

Again thanks for the reply. I think I'll pick up one of these Go EZ detail brushes. I see it's a little different shape and smaller than the Big EZ brush. Also is it ok to use the Go EZ brush on the exhaust tips? I have AE so I have the quad tips. Again sorry for all the questions as this is all new to me. I wasn't sure it was ok to blast the wheel liners with a pressure washer so thanks for mentioning that as well.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Again thanks for the reply. I think I'll pick up one of these Go EZ detail brushes. I see it's a little different shape and smaller than the Big EZ brush. Also is it ok to use the Go EZ brush on the exhaust tips? I have AE so I have the quad tips. Again sorry for all the questions as this is all new to me. I wasn't sure it was ok to blast the wheel liners with a pressure washer so thanks for mentioning that as well.
No need to apologize, I'm more than happy to answer detailing questions.

The EZ-Detail GO is probably too big for exhaust tips. You would probably get into the pipe itself, but it wouldn't fit around the exterior surface that's surrounded by the bumper.

For exhaust tips, I use the regular EZ-Detail brushes, the small in particular but the large one works too.

EZ Detail Brush Big - Blue (carpro-us.com)
EZ Detail Brush Big (Red) (carpro-us.com)

If it were me, I would by the set -

EZ Detail Brush Blue - 3pc set (carpro-us.com)

S650 Mustang Clean calipers with PP wheels? IMG_0257

S650 Mustang Clean calipers with PP wheels? IMG_2817
Sponsored