• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Beginner’s Buying Guide

Back when I started washing cars in the very early 2000’s, there was simply no avenue for learning how to detail other than buying and trying things for yourself. No internet, no YouTube, no forums. You either taught yourself or took a job in the detailing industry. These days, learning how to detail is relatively easy, likewise choosing what products to buy.

Having said that, it’s all too easy to get led down the garden path and end up with a garage full of detailing products. Now of course, to me that is a good thing. But what if you just want to get started, to learn the basics and perhaps expand your enjoyment of the hobby?

The following list is what I consider the essentials to do just that. Rather than list 120 different chemicals, tools and accessories for each and every task, I’m going to list products that can cover as many bases as possible, allowing the user to gain experience without jumping headfirst into the proverbial rabbit’s hole.

I won’t cover paint correction and pressure washing here because that is next level stuff, this article is about where to begin. I’m also going to assume that shopping online is not a barrier to entry or cater to cheap and nasty products. The goal is to compile a list of high-quality items that will last a long time, deliver high quality results, and hopefully make the washing experience easier and more enjoyable. And in the process saving time and money by skipping the "Armor All and Turtle Wax phase". :wink:

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List IMG-0350

TOOLS & ACCESSORIES

Buckets –
For detailing, you want three basic white plastic buckets in 15-litre or preferably 20-litre capacity. One dedicated for wheels, two for washing/rinsing. I would also use a grit guard in each bucket.

5 or 6 Gallon Buckets (due to my location, I'm unable to link to Home Depo/Lowes ect) - $7.98 each / $23.94 total (approx.)
Grit Guard - $10 each / $30 total

Wheels –
These brushes will take care of most wheel designs.

EZ Detail Brush (For wheel barrel & wheel arch) - $31.95
Detail Factory Tire Brush - $14.95
Detail Factory Boars Hair Brush - $14.95
TRC Ultra Wheel Mitt - $13 (2-pack)
Foam Applicator - $8.99

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List IMG_0259

Exterior/Interior Brushes -
One of each will get you pretty far, you can then build upon this as needed.

Detail Factory Ultra Soft Brush - $14.95
ColourLock Leather/Fabric Brush - $12.99

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List IMG-1127

TOWELS
The below collection of towels is all about value for money without compromising on the quality of towel. All towels are from The Rag Company to keep it simple.

TRC Gauntlet Medium x2 (Drying Towels) - $22
TRC Dry Me A River Jr. x3 (Glass) - $19
TRC Cyclone Wash Pad x2 - $12 each / $24 total
TRC All Purpose 12 Pack - $17.80 (Separate the colors into specific uses, ie interior cleaning, wax removal, dirty jobs ect)

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List IMG-5305

CHEMICALS
In this section, I’ll elaborate why I have chosen these products. I’ll also include spray bottles to allow products to be diluted for different purposes.

Adam's Car Shampoo - $39.99 Gallon Bottle
A high quality, high value wash soap for both bucket and foam cannons.

Koch Chemie Green Star APC - $13.99 for 1L
Shine Supply Spray Bottle x2 - $5 each / $10 total
Green Star is versatile, able to be used as a wheel and tyre cleaner at 8:1, or heavily diluted for interior cleaning (20:1), engine bay cleaning and bug removal (10:1). Have it mixed in two bottles for easy use. Add this to NV Snow for a stronger strip wash.

Optimum No Rinse - $17.99 for 1 Quart Bottle
Another versatile product that can cover several bases. Quick detailer/drying Aid, rinse-less wash, clay lubricant, glass cleaner, interior cleaner/detailer. Again, have this mixed at in a couple of dilutions ready to go.

Carpro Perl - $23.95 for 500ml Bottle
This product does great work as a tire dressing at 1:1 dilution, or as an engine bay/interior/leather/exterior dressing at 5:1.

Stoner’s Invisible Glass - $6.99 20oz Bottle
No explanations required, the best glass cleaner and freely available.

Gtechniq W7 Tar Remover - $19.80 for 500ml Bottle
Every car guy needs a tar remover. You can also use this to remove adhesive residue. No need to dilute.

Carpro Hydr02 Lite - $16.99 for 500ml Bottle
A ready to use spray and rinse touchless sealant, ideal for protecting wheels and paint.

Adam's Slick n Slide - $12.99 for 473ml Bottle
A fantastic gloss enhancer that provides decent protection in a simple spray and wipe application. Great drying aid too.

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List IMG_1542

CONCLUSIONS
The above tallies up to just over $400, or $419.24 to be precise. Could I have chosen cheaper alternatives or less of something? Sure, but some of the key products are highly dilutable, while the tools are going to last for many, many years. Again, the concept was to deliver value in terms of product quality and user experience. Could I have included items like foam cannons and pump sprayer, yes to that too. But again, the idea was to provide a launching pad for greater things if the desire takes you there.

Happy Shopping!

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List IMG_0761
Sponsored

YamenGT650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2024 PP
Cool list!
Well done

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Nice to see you on M7G “D”. This thread will be invaluable to new S650 owners.

For any of you who are not familiar with @DFB5.0 he is our resident detailing expert over on M6G. You can take his advice to the bank. Which you will need to do once you get hooked into buying all of his recommendations! 🤭👍

UNSAFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT Vert, '06 Ford Ranger FX4 Supercab
Great write up! What is the rolling stool you're using?

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Great write up! What is the rolling stool you're using?
I nearly included that, but it's more of a luxury item.

That stool is basically the standard issue detailing creeper/stool/chair. It's sold under a number of different brands including Griots, Adam's, Maxshine. Mine was sold under the Economax brand in Australia. I once hated cleaning wheels, but being seated and not kneeling was my game changer.

Compact Sit-On Creeper II - Griot's Garage (griotsgarage.com)
Adam's Polishes Creeper Detailing Seat With Storage | Compact Creeper (adamspolishes.com)

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List dec11

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List dec112

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List dec313

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List IMG_0238

UNSAFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I nearly included that, but it's more of a luxury item.

That stool is basically the standard issue detailing creeper/stool/chair. It's sold under a number of different brands including Griots, Adam's, Maxshine. Mine was sold under the Economax brand in Australia. I once hated cleaning wheels, but being seated and not kneeling was my game changer.

Compact Sit-On Creeper II - Griot's Garage (griotsgarage.com)
Adam's Polishes Creeper Detailing Seat With Storage | Compact Creeper (adamspolishes.com)

dec11.jpg

dec112.jpg

dec313.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg
That's exactly where I'm at - hate bending to clean wheels. Thanks for sharing that!

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
Beginner’s Buying Guide

Back when I started washing cars in the very early 2000’s, there was simply no avenue for learning how to detail other than buying and trying things for yourself. No internet, no YouTube, no forums. You either taught yourself or took a job in the detailing industry. These days, learning how to detail is relatively easy, likewise choosing what products to buy.

Having said that, it’s all too easy to get led down the garden path and end up with a garage full of detailing products. Now of course, to me that is a good thing. But what if you just want to get started, to learn the basics and perhaps expand your enjoyment of the hobby?

The following list is what I consider the essentials to do just that. Rather than list 120 different chemicals, tools and accessories for each and every task, I’m going to list products that can cover as many bases as possible, allowing the user to gain experience without jumping headfirst into the proverbial rabbit’s hole.

I won’t cover paint correction and pressure washing here because that is next level stuff, this article is about where to begin. I’m also going to assume that shopping online is not a barrier to entry or cater to cheap and nasty products. The goal is to compile a list of high-quality items that will last a long time, deliver high quality results, and hopefully make the washing experience easier and more enjoyable. And in the process saving time and money by skipping the "Armor All and Turtle Wax phase". :wink:

IMG-0350.jpg

TOOLS & ACCESSORIES

Buckets –
For detailing, you want three basic white plastic buckets in 15-litre or preferably 20-litre capacity. One dedicated for wheels, two for washing/rinsing. I would also use a grit guard in each bucket.

5 or 6 Gallon Buckets (due to my location, I'm unable to link to Home Depo/Lowes ect) - $7.98 each / $23.94 total (approx.)
Grit Guard - $10 each / $30 total

Wheels –
These brushes will take care of most wheel designs.

EZ Detail Brush (For wheel barrel & wheel arch) - $31.95
Detail Factory Tire Brush - $14.95
Detail Factory Boars Hair Brush - $14.95
TRC Ultra Wheel Mitt - $13 (2-pack)
Foam Applicator - $8.99

IMG_0259.jpg

Exterior/Interior Brushes -
One of each will get you pretty far, you can then build upon this as needed.

Detail Factory Ultra Soft Brush - $14.95
ColourLock Leather/Fabric Brush - $12.99

IMG-1127.jpg

TOWELS
The below collection of towels is all about value for money without compromising on the quality of towel. All towels are from The Rag Company to keep it simple.

TRC Gauntlet Medium x2 (Drying Towels) - $22
TRC Dry Me A River Jr. x3 (Glass) - $19
TRC Cyclone Wash Pad x2 - $12 each / $24 total
TRC All Purpose 12 Pack - $17.80 (Separate the colors into specific uses, ie interior cleaning, wax removal, dirty jobs ect)

IMG-5305.jpg

CHEMICALS
In this section, I’ll elaborate why I have chosen these products. I’ll also include spray bottles to allow products to be diluted for different purposes.

Adam's Car Shampoo - $39.99 Gallon Bottle
A high quality, high value wash soap for both bucket and foam cannons.

Koch Chemie Green Star APC - $13.99 for 1L
Green Star is versatile, able to be used as a wheel and tyre cleaner at 8:1, or heavily diluted for interior cleaning (20:1), engine bay cleaning and bug removal (10:1). Have it mixed in two bottles for easy use. Add this to NV Snow for a stronger strip wash.

Optimum No Rinse - $17.99 for 1 Quart Bottle
Another versatile product that can cover several bases. Quick detailer/drying Aid, rinse-less wash, clay lubricant, glass cleaner, interior cleaner/detailer. Again, have this mixed at in a couple of dilutions ready to go.

Carpro Perl - $23.95 for 500ml Bottle
This product does great work as a tire dressing at 1:1 dilution, or as an engine bay/interior/leather/exterior dressing at 5:1.

Stoner’s Invisible Glass - $6.99 20oz Bottle
No explanations required, the best glass cleaner and freely available.

Gtechniq W7 Tar Remover - $19.80 for 500ml Bottle
Every car guy needs a tar remover. You can also use this to remove adhesive residue. No need to dilute.

Carpro Hydr02 Lite - $16.99 for 500ml Bottle
A ready to use spray and rinse touchless sealant, ideal for protecting wheels and paint.

Adam's Slick n Slide - $12.99 for 473ml Bottle
A fantastic gloss enhancer that provides decent protection in a simple spray and wipe application. Great drying aid too.

IMG_1542.jpg

CONCLUSIONS
The above tallies up to just over $400, or $419.24 to be precise. Could I have chosen cheaper alternatives or less of something? Sure, but some of the key products are highly dilutable, while the tools are going to last for many, many years. Again, the concept was to deliver value in terms of product quality and user experience. Could I have included items like foam cannons and pump sprayer, yes to that too. But again, the idea was to provide a launching pad for greater things if the desire takes you there.

Happy Shopping!

IMG_0761.jpg
Very nice.
Thank you for taking the time to post.

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 GT Convertible 401A, AVE, Brembos
I'm totally getting one of those stools. That thing will be a savior to my back!

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
Excellent write up with great products that are user friendly.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I'm totally getting one of those stools. That thing will be a savior to my back!
My knees are shot after twenty years as a professional gardener, I constantly kneeling up and down. Then spending my down time kneeling to clean wheels meant I had to find a way to work smarter.

As I said, I hated cleaning wheels because of having to kneel. But then I discovered seated wheel cleaning and its basically my favorite part of the wash, very very relaxing for me now.

I didn't include it in the original post, but having your buckets on wheels joins the dots! Why? Because then you don't have to get up to move the bucket, you just drag it along with you as you scoot to the next wheel. Five to six gallons of water is also quite heavy, so wheeling the bucket around the car is much nicer on your back as well.

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List IMG-1386

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List IMG-1401

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List IMG-5178

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List IMG-6017

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List IMG-6422

Some automotive chain stores carry generic bucket dollies, but the Grit Guard versions are made from thicker plastic and have better casters for smoother movement. You can then color code the dolly, grit guard and gamma seal lid to each task, ie black for wheels, red and blue for wash/rinse.

Grit Guard® Bucket Dollies | U.S. Plastic Corp. (usplastic.com)
Grit Guard® Bucket Insert | U.S. Plastic Corp. (usplastic.com)
Gamma Seal® Lids | U.S. Plastic Corp. (usplastic.com)

UNSAFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 GT Convertible 401A, AVE, Brembos