• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

UNSAFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT Vert, '06 Ford Ranger FX4 Supercab
OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
"Best" is a subjective term.

Also, I have shop chairs (which is what the last one was). Not the same thing.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
"Best" is a subjective term.

Also, I have shop chairs (which is what the last one was). Not the same thing.
I probably shouldn't have used that word, I was more so meaning that the chair is well suited to detailing because of the height and ease at which you can reach for tools.

I have that exact stool. I think my wife bought it for me from HF a couple of years ago. :)
I started with that stool as well. Overall, I found it just didn't go low enough for ergonomic wheel cleaning and polishing lower panels. I did like it for polishing higher areas though.

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List IMG_4973

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 GT Convertible 401A, AVE, Brembos
My knees are shot after twenty years as a professional gardener, I constantly kneeling up and down. Then spending my down time kneeling to clean wheels meant I had to find a way to work smarter.

As I said, I hated cleaning wheels because of having to kneel. But then I discovered seated wheel cleaning and its basically my favorite part of the wash, very very relaxing for me now.

I didn't include it in the original post, but having your buckets on wheels joins the dots! Why? Because then you don't have to get up to move the bucket, you just drag it along with you as you scoot to the next wheel. Five to six gallons of water is also quite heavy, so wheeling the bucket around the car is much nicer on your back as well.

IMG-1386.jpg

IMG-1401.jpg

IMG-5178.jpg

IMG-6017.jpg

IMG-6422.jpg

Some automotive chain stores carry generic bucket dollies, but the Grit Guard versions are made from thicker plastic and have better casters for smoother movement. You can then color code the dolly, grit guard and gamma seal lid to each task, ie black for wheels, red and blue for wash/rinse.

Grit Guard® Bucket Dollies | U.S. Plastic Corp. (usplastic.com)
Grit Guard® Bucket Insert | U.S. Plastic Corp. (usplastic.com)
Gamma Seal® Lids | U.S. Plastic Corp. (usplastic.com)
I've never seen these before. Great idea! And agree about when you're sitting and working on the wheels it's a totally enjoyable experience compared with kneeling. Nothing takes more out of you than the constant up-down-kneeling-standing (sounds like Catholic church LOL)

I ordered the el cheapo Vevor rolling stool I linked above. I'm used to using a flipped over bucket so anything for me is an improvement 😁

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@DFB5.0 - That appears to be a MTM Hydro short gun and foam cannon, correct? Would you buy them again or go a different way?

I just ordered their Premium MTM Kit 1 Pro, which comes with the SGS28 short gun (swivel version), the PF22.2 foam cannon (newest model), the 20" stainless lance, a 50' Kobrajet grey non-marking hose and M22 coupling adapters for my pressure washer.

Normal price for that kit is $325 but they are running a 20% off spring sale (site wide on everything) right now thru 4/30.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
@DFB5.0 - That appears to be a MTM Hydro short gun and foam cannon, correct? Would you buy them again or go a different way?

I'm getting ready to order thier Premium MTM Kit 1 Pro, which comes with the SGS28 short gun (swivel version), the PF22.2 foam cannon (newest model), the 20" stainless lance, a 50' Kobrajet grey non-marking hose and M22 coupling adapters for my pressure washer.

Normal price for that kit is $325 but they are running a 20% off spring sale (site wide on everything) right now thru 4/30.
I actually have both the MTM (grey) and Mosmatic (blue) short guns in rotation. I would buy either again, no questions asked!

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List IMG-1174

Ok, so there is a bit to unpack here, so I hope you are good for a read....................

I started with the MTM gun and wand, then changed to Mosmatic gun, wand and nozzles. While both guns look relatively similar, its the finer details that make the difference. Overall, the body of the Mosmatic is more compact and easier to wrangle. I have the OG-spec Mosmatic, which has an integrated swivel, which reduces the bulk hanging from the connection.

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List IMG-11762

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List IMG-1178

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List IMG-0789

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List IMG_9469

Functionally, the MTM has a much smoother trigger feel, it being a progressive release rather than the switch like Mosmatic. So, less bulky or smoother trigger is what you need to decide upon.

Nozzles, I have the Mosmatic because of the integrated rubber shroud. These nozzles deliver a more consistent spray pattern too.

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List IMG-0786

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List IMG-0787

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List IMG-0925

I didn't like the MTM wand, it was too bulky and too heavy. The OG-spec Mosmatic wand is much nicer, and probably offers the most obvious advantage between MTM and Mosmatic stuff. Where its a coin toss between the short guns, the Mosmatic wand is a clear winner. Take note of the useless rubber shroud on the MTM, it doesn't even cover the nozzle, which is the whole point. The Mosmatic removes that shroud and relies on the integrated nozzle arrangement, a much cleaner (and safer) solution.

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List jun14

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List jun13

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List IMG-0796

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List IMG-6477

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List IMG-0933

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List IMG-E8648

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List IMG-E8640

Another point of difference between MTM and Mosmatic is the quality of the fittings. The MTM uses Chinese made fittings, the Mosmatic uses more precise Swiss fittings. While these fittings are interchangeable between the two brands, the Mosmatic on Mosmatic is a much smoother connection. The exception to that is the newer MTM PRIMA fittings, which are made in the USA and are a middle ground between the Chinese MTM and Swiss Mosmatic.

Foam Cannons, the revised MTM PF22.2 is brilliant. There are plenty of foam cannons to choose from, some great, some crap. The MTM is the workhorse though, and it seems to use less soap than some foam cannons. Having used the newer lid design, I can say its a fantastic solution.

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List IMG_1345

I went with the CobraJet hose when I did my wall mount system last year, its an excellent choice.

S650 Mustang Beginner’s Buying Guide: Washing & Detailing Essentials List wm17

Some action shots for you -

Sort answer, buy with confidence! Let me know if you need any links to go with the above.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, @DFB5.0. I did go with the MTM kit I mentioned above. We shall see if I become as much as an aficionado as you to warrant upgrading anything down the road. It seems like a great start above all the Chinese knockoff crap on Amazon.
Sponsored