• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Will the Dark Horse come with the redesigned CJ manifold?

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.LEDandSafety.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I wonder if dark horse will get the redesigned CJ intake? Had to be a reason it was redesigned now......
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Had to be a reason it was redesigned now......
It was probably redesigned in parallel with the design of the new dual throttle GT manifold. They are going with that style of intake vs a big single it sounds like it. So it makes sense that the standard manifold is a similar design to the performance manifold.

It also probably makes sense that the DHS and DHR get the CJ, but it's highly doubtful that the street legal DH will get it.

mjr1989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack
I think we'll see a variation of the new CJ manifold on a future Boss 302.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
The engine we've seen has an updated version of either the GT350 or 2018 manifold.

KINGKONA

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1/AE/MAGNERIDE
I wonder if dark horse will get the redesigned CJ intake? Had to be a reason it was redesigned now......
Gotta link to the intake you're talking about? Your question has no context without that information.

OP
OP
LSchicago

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.LEDandSafety.com
Vehicle(s)

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
As to the OP's question, I highly doubt it.

Ford has spent a lot of time developing their intake manifolds and imrc to try to give some torque to the coyote motor and I believe it helps with emissions (although I could be wrong).

The cobra jet is marketed as an all-out N/A manifold for constant high rpm use and racing. The cobra jet also has Ford Racing badges, not something I would expect on their street car.

I think the cobra jet doesn't fit Ford's branding with the street cars and I don't know if it would meet the emissions standards they have to comply with. I can totally see it being in their race versions of the Dark Horse as well as the GT3 and GT4 cars. Dark Horse will have a cam and tune upgrade which should be enough for their power goals.

OP
OP
LSchicago

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.LEDandSafety.com
Vehicle(s)
As to the OP's question, I highly doubt it.

Ford has spent a lot of time developing their intake manifolds and imrc to try to give some torque to the coyote motor and I believe it helps with emissions (although I could be wrong).

The cobra jet is marketed as an all-out N/A manifold for constant high rpm use and racing. The cobra jet also has Ford Racing badges, not something I would expect on their street car.

I think the cobra jet doesn't fit Ford's branding with the street cars and I don't know if it would meet the emissions standards they have to comply with. I can totally see it being in their race versions of the Dark Horse as well as the GT3 and GT4 cars. Dark Horse will have a cam and tune upgrade which should be enough for their power goals.
It's just a manifold, not the whole CJ package. The Bullitt & Mach 1 had the GT350 intake, so I don't see why it couldn't be done. Looks like it has different cams though, so intake might not be part of the package.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
It's just a manifold, not the whole CJ package. The Bullitt & Mach 1 had the GT350 intake, so I don't see why it couldn't be done. Looks like it has different cams though, so intake might not be part of the package.
The gt350 IM has imrc and was designed for a street car. The gt350 IM is just an upgraded continuation of the manifold they have been using since the first coyote.

I think it is totally possible they will just upgrade the intake manifold for the GT, and the Dark Horse will just use that upgraded manifold. The intake manifold already had to be redesigned for the dual throttle bodies.

OP
OP
LSchicago

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.LEDandSafety.com
Vehicle(s)
The gt350 IM has imrc and was designed for a street car. The gt350 IM is just an upgraded continuation of the manifold they have been using since the first coyote.

I think it is totally possible they will just upgrade the intake manifold for the GT, and the Dark Horse will just use that upgraded manifold. The intake manifold already had to be redesigned for the dual throttle bodies.
That was my thoughts. Was the CJ manifold redesigned to be used in the dark horse & CJ race cars.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
That was my thoughts. Was the CJ manifold redesigned to be used in the dark horse & CJ race cars.
Either ford performance is being really nice and updating the cobra jet so we can install it aftermarket, or they are going to put it on the dark horse race cars and gt3/gt4 cars.

I think it will definitely show up in the track-only versions of the dark horse.

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
My guess is frpp saw the new duel intake and said hey we can make that for the previous gen cars. It also uses the gt500 TB my guess is it probably won’t fit or won’t have any major gains on the gen 4 engine

point being the new cobra jet is designed to give the older cars the current duel intake tech without using two throttle bodies

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
My guess is frpp saw the new duel intake and said hey we can make that for the previous gen cars. It also uses the gt500 TB my guess is it probably won’t fit or won’t have any major gains on the gen 4 engine

point being the new cobra jet is designed to give the older cars the current duel intake tech without using two throttle bodies
I don't think the intent is to let the s550 use the dual intake. No dual intake piping has been released by ford performance. Also you would need 2 maf sensors, which I doubt can be added to the ecu.

The intent for the new cobra jet is definitely for the s650. It's just that it can be used on the older gens by either using just a single blade throttle body or using a dual blade throttle body (dual blade throttle body goes to a single intake tube, not dual tubes like the s650). You can even have it ported to remove the 2 separate sections.

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I don't think the intent is to let the s550 use the dual intake. No dual intake piping has been released by ford performance. Also you would need 2 maf sensors, which I doubt can be added to the ecu.

The intent for the new cobra jet is definitely for the s650. It's just that it can be used on the older gens by either using just a single blade throttle body or using a dual blade throttle body (dual blade throttle body goes to a single intake tube, not dual tubes like the s650). You can even have it ported to remove the 2 separate sections.
That’s exactly what I was trying to say, but I worded it kind of weird. They’re basically giving you your cake and eating it with the new cobra jet. I’m very interested to see the gains on the older engines
Sponsored