• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Under hood make a clicking sound when opening drivers door? Sounds like trying to start with dead battery?

disneyfun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 2022 Mustang Mach-E GT/PE
Just had my 2024 a few days now. I noticed that when car has been sitting a few hours or more and i open the drivers door to get in, i hear a clicking sound under the hood, like you are trying to start the car with a dead battery. The car will start just fine, and afterwards no noise, but after a couple hours the noise returns when opening the door. only last a second or so but sounds irritating. Any know what is going on? Do i possibly have a low charge on my battery?
Sponsored

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
I am not sure this is the problem but when you open the door, the car lowers the window about an inch. When you close the door, it will lift it back up. I also found if you close the door a little hard, the window will thunk. At first I thought it might be the old stories about auto workers suspending a coke bottle in the door with a wire but I am pretty sure that isn't the case as it only happens when closing the door.

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium, 2024 GT Premium ordered
Just had my 2024 a few days now. I noticed that when car has been sitting a few hours or more and i open the drivers door to get in, i hear a clicking sound under the hood, like you are trying to start the car with a dead battery. The car will start just fine, and afterwards no noise, but after a couple hours the noise returns when opening the door. only last a second or so but sounds irritating. Any know what is going on? Do i possibly have a low charge on my battery?
It actually makes a few noises. I heard more of them when I opened the hood one night in the dark and totally thought the car was possessed for a moment. I'm pretty sure the fuel pump charges and the car is disabling the immobilizer (or some such thing). I've had other cars do the same when they think you're about to start them.

JoFranko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
My 23 explorer has the same issue and has been doing it since day one. The clicking noise isnā€™t in tempo and sounds as if itā€™s behind the dash or in the engine bay. I was told itā€™s normal since there are so many electronics in the vehicle. How true this is, I donā€™t know. It only clicks after I turn it off or am getting in to start it. Itā€™s annoying but I havenā€™t had any other issues because of it.

OP
OP
disneyfun1

disneyfun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 2022 Mustang Mach-E GT/PE
the noises seem very loud, it wasnt the battery itself, i had the hood open and did not come directly from it, but all over the rest of the car, almost embarrassing when getting in the car to hear it go off when all other cars make zero noise

sdsteele2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang GT
The noises are completely normal.

Opening the door or the proximity sensor triggered by the keyfob triggers the car to run thru a series of self checks. Things like confirming/resetting the position of several servo motors that control various systems, testing relays, etc.

Basically the car is getting ready to start for you šŸ˜

sdsteele2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang GT
I am not sure this is the problem but when you open the door, the car lowers the window about an inch. When you close the door, it will lift it back up. I also found if you close the door a little hard, the window will thunk. At first I thought it might be the old stories about auto workers suspending a coke bottle in the door with a wire but I am pretty sure that isn't the case as it only happens when closing the door.
The window lowering and raising is supposed to happen.

If you look closely there is a lip, on the weather stripping, around the glass that forms a groove to seal the window. The glass fits under that lip when fully closed. The window drops so the glass does not rub on that lip tearing or damaging the rubber. When you close the door it lifts back up into the groove sealing out wind and water.

Last edited:

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
The window lowering and raising is supposed to happen.

If you look closely there is a lip, on the weather stripping, around the glass that forms a groove to seal the window. The glass fits under that lip when fully closed. The window drops so the glass does not rub on that lip tearing or damaging the rubber. When you close the door it lifts back up into the groove sealing out wind and water.
I understand that but when you have something new it may do things you don't expect. This is the first car I have seen that does that but fortunately I learned about it when I was trying to get a Mach 1 so I expected it. I am still finding strange things in this car. Some I disable and others I like. All part of a new car.

sdsteele2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang GT
I understand that but when you have something new it may do things you don't expect. This is the first car I have seen that does that but fortunately I learned about it when I was trying to get a Mach 1 so I expected it. I am still finding strange things in this car. Some I disable and others I like. All part of a new car.
Sorry that may not have come across correctly.

I was just trying to be helpful and explain what/why itā€™s happening.

Rushstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
the noises seem very loud, it wasnt the battery itself, i had the hood open and did not come directly from it, but all over the rest of the car, almost embarrassing when getting in the car to hear it go off when all other cars make zero noise
Lol..Embarrassing? Trust me, nobody is looking at you.
Sponsored