• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Thoughts on painting diffuser?

Southpaw78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX
I have zero experience with this so just wanted to get some feedback from the group on if it would be possible to have the S650's diffuser or any of the matte black pieces painted by a reputable body shop? What would need to be done in terms of prep to the pieces and would the paint job last?

From the videos we have so far it looks like there are textured ridges on the diffuser so I would imagine that would make it more difficult (or impossible?). I wouldn't want to consider anything that will look like crap in a couple years in terms of peeling or it being easily chipped.
Sponsored

goodlettjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
No expert here, but here are a few things to consider.

1. That is a "textured" plastic piece. Once it is damaged it is almost impossible to make it look OEM. Most body shops wont touch it and buy a new one. It can be retextured,. but typically that costs quite a bit more and no one wants to spend more.

2. Must use a flexible primer and paint. There are some additives that will give the pain the proper properties.

3. Paint finish wont come out looking as good as the rest of the car.

4. And last, you would be surprised at how much stuff makes contact in the spoiler and defuser area. I would assume it could get ragged looking in a few years.

OP
OP
Southpaw78

Southpaw78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX
No expert here, but here are a few things to consider.

1. That is a "textured" plastic piece. Once it is damaged it is almost impossible to make it look OEM. Most body shops wont touch it and buy a new one. It can be retextured,. but typically that costs quite a bit more and no one wants to spend more.

2. Must use a flexible primer and paint. There are some additives that will give the pain the proper properties.

3. Paint finish wont come out looking as good as the rest of the car.

4. And last, you would be surprised at how much stuff makes contact in the spoiler and defuser area. I would assume it could get ragged looking in a few years.
Appreciate the feedback, I wondered how a gloss black would look but it doesn't sound like you can get a durable or clean finish.

erocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT Premium, '09 Lexus IS250 AWD
A professional body shop can absolutely make it work. Best thing to do would be to call and get an estimate.

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
My dealer does this kinda custom work all the time on cars / trucks. Stuff looks amazing and looks as good as if it came from the factory that way. They also give a lifetime warranty on any custom paint work or any bodywork / paint repairs they do.

OP
OP
Southpaw78

Southpaw78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX
Looks like I need a bit more research but might be worth a call to a couple body shops.

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
i dont think it will look as bad as you think, remember that the 2015-17 Mustangs had that little body painted piece on the bottom of the diffuser
Sponsored