• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Rear Passenger Rattle

jexsk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Anyone else experiencing a rattling noise from the rear passenger area? It’s only if I hit a bump only on that side, if the entire car or the driver side hits a bump I don’t hear it. It kind of sounds like hard plastic on metal, not quite metal on metal but I could be wrong.

I initially thought it may be coming from that C pillar but after taking it a part and adding some insulation and electrical tape I’m not so sure now. Not really seeing many reports of others having this problem so figured I’d reach out before I start tearing the trunk apart next.
Sponsored

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
My rear passenger area rattles with certain tones or talk radio. Doesn't sound like it's what you're referring to but still wanted to chime in incase anyone else has this as well.

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium, 2024 GT Premium ordered
Anyone else experiencing a rattling noise from the rear passenger area? It’s only if I hit a bump only on that side, if the entire car or the driver side hits a bump I don’t hear it. It kind of sounds like hard plastic on metal, not quite metal on metal but I could be wrong.

I initially thought it may be coming from that C pillar but after taking it a part and adding some insulation and electrical tape I’m not so sure now. Not really seeing many reports of others having this problem so figured I’d reach out before I start tearing the trunk apart next.
I started another thread with the same question last week. Comes from my right rear and sounds like it's right behind the rear seat. Only thing I've noticed after tapping around different places, there's a similar (softer) sound when I tap the liner covering the right rear strut. I haven't removed the liner yet to see what might be doing it.

DannyJ7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ecoboost Premium, Carbonized Gray
It's the seat belt.
I did try putting both seat belts in, and that did help, but I still hear something from behind me rattling...

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
What you are describing might be the passenger seat back doing the rattling. That sounds like a light tapping noise over bumps. Easy way to find out is to shove a thick book in the rear seat pocket OR put a backpack full of stuff on the seat and drive around. Both will add tension to the seat and will not cause the rattling sound.

OP
OP

jexsk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
I’m dead inside if it’s the passenger seatbelt lol I don’t think that’s it but I’ll buckle it up next time I go out to see if that’s it.

The rear seat kind of makes sense as that’s a similar noise. I’ll try adding some weight/tension or maybe just leave it down to see what it does.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Just curious, do you have the sub?

OP
OP

jexsk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
I do have the sub. It seems sturdy but haven’t tried taking it out to see if anything is rattling around back there

OP
OP

jexsk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
I think I have it narrowed down to the latch mechanism on the rear passenger seat. The driver side makes no noise when I push on it while the passenger appears to be making the same sound I hear while driving.

I’ve wrapped the latch with electrical tape and it’s noticeably reduced when I push on it. Going to do some test driving tonight or tomorrow to see if that has helped.

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you to everyone with ideas! In my case, it's not the seatbelts, rear seat latch or other things in the car. I put the rear passenger side seat down, and I can better hear the noise from just behind it. Nothing loose in the wheel well. Nothing loose in the trunk, including the sub. But it does sound like it could be as simple as a wiring harness bouncing around where the strut lives. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Sometimes it's the board that covers the spare tire well. I had that happen once and after I positioned it correctly the noise went away.

Last edited:

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sometimes it's the board that covers the spare tire well. I had that happen once and after I positioned it correctly the nose went away.
Interesting, thanks. Unfortunately, it's not that for me...

myvaporblue5.0pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium/Vapor Blue/PP/401A
Hey everyone! I'm new here. We just got my 2024 GT on 10/9. I just wanted to add that I also hear a rattle noise as I drive pretty much all the time. It sounds as if it may be in the passenger back seat area but I haven't done much testing yet to pinpoint an exact location yet. It's not too annoying yet. It's funny though. I had a rattle like that on my 2019 Mustang GT but I believe that was because of the rear window louvers or a screw left in the trunk lid when my fiance' installed a different rear spoiler.

crispaul77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge
Why are most of these vehicles people are receiving having all kinds of problems? I thought they were taking time doing quality checks? I kind of feel like I dodged bullet with this one by cancelling my order.
Sponsored