• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Panama Canal Restrictions and Shipping Delays

5.0ALM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV4 Cruiser, S650 allocated, waiting...
Just what we need - not! :lipssealed:

FYI
An interesting article.

The Panama Canal expects to maintain restrictions for at least another 10 months.
I have a feeling our first arrival cars will not ship until January once the Christmas rush has finished, where container ships have priority. It's typically a ~ 45 day sail from Baltimore, so end of March/early April... and that assumes no prolonged plant shutdowns by striking UAW workers.

#JustSayin.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08...g-up-and-what-it-means-for-shipping/102780142

And an interesting explainer of the canal system.
(Click to watch on Youtube, embedding has been disabled)

Sponsored

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue GT 10Sp Auto

FYI
An interesting article.

I have a feeling our first arrival cars will not ship until January once the Christmas rush has finished, where container ships have priority. It's typically a ~ 45 day sail from Baltimore, so end of March/early April... and that assumes no prolonged plant shutdowns by striking UAW workers.

#JustSayin.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08...g-up-and-what-it-means-for-shipping/102780142

Thanks for the news - unfortunately not encouraging. Another "Challenge". :(

Arno_ecobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 BMW M135i Xdrive
Yeah... elections etc. as well...
I am still expecting March/April delivery considering 'all' the issues. Im personally not in any rush so it doesn't bother me too much. Painful for those who are going to get rid of their current cars shortly :/

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah... elections etc. as well...
I am still expecting March/April delivery considering 'all' the issues. Im personally not in any rush so it doesn't bother me too much. Painful for those who are going to get rid of their current cars shortly :/
Yes it a bit of a balancing act to know when to sell your car, and in the meantime it is depreciating. Hopefully there will not be a heap of used or traded-in Mustangs hitting the market at the same time.

Arno_ecobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 BMW M135i Xdrive
Yes it a bit of a balancing act to know when to sell your car, and in the meantime it is depreciating. Hopefully there will not be a heap of used or traded-in Mustangs hitting the market at the same time.
I have my BMW for sale and not hyper competitive, although carsales gave me the green tick for pricing lol...
market is strange atm. some models can't walk out the door fast enough. But yeah, im not in a hurry, only have 28k on the odo so she is pretty new still! lol

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have my BMW for sale and not hyper competitive, although carsales gave me the green tick for pricing lol...
market is strange atm. some models can't walk out the door fast enough. But yeah, im not in a hurry, only have 28k on the odo so she is pretty new still! lol
Yes the Market has been erratic for a while, a couple of months ago I could have easily got another $12K for my MY21.5 GT, or more than I paid for it, however I am waiting for a couple of months before putting it on the market, as there could be a big gap between Ordering, a Build Date and final Delivery. (BTW its only done 4.25K)

Brisvegas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'76 SS torana and soon a DMG "23 GT Mustang

FYI
An interesting article.

#JustSayin.

Seems it has not improved in recent months , article suggests
half of vessel traffic targeted for cuts

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/11/03/panama-canal-drought-hits-new-crisis-level-amid-severe-el-nino.html

OP
OP
5.0ALM

5.0ALM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV4 Cruiser, S650 allocated, waiting...
Published only 5 days ago, this is a fresh documentary on the Panama Canal situation.
Towards the end it describes other alternatives that are being considered and/or already in the works.

Can the world's most important canal be saved before it runs dry?

I hope the situation doesn't deteriorate in the next 6 months, to the point where our cars are coming around Cape Horn instead.

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Published only 5 days ago, this is a fresh documentary on the Panama Canal situation.
Towards the end it describes other alternatives that are being considered and/or already in the works.

I hope the situation doesn't deteriorate in the next 6 months, to the point where our cars are coming around Cape Horn instead.
Thanks for the update - this is serious !

Eremyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 GT
Well the solution would be is to get the vehicles transported by locomotives to West coast and board it on California Port or Seattle port.

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well the solution would be is to get the vehicles transported by locomotives to West coast and board it on California Port or Seattle port.
Seems to make sense, looks like Ford are going to have to find a viable alternative to the Panama Canal.

PS Looking at your Avitar, Could you possibly have a slight Train bias ?? lol

Eremyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 GT
Seems to make sense, looks like Ford are going to have to find a viable alternative to the Panama Canal.

PS Looking at your Avitar, Could you possibly have a slight Train bias ?? lol
Haha, I use to work for Canadian Pacific and I do love the sound of 16 - 18 cylinder diesel electric motor not just a v8 car ;)