• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

New S650 owner, is this a mistake?

03SVTOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Ecoboot
Just purchased a Grabber Blue Ecoboost base car. It's been a love/hate experience thus far, with most of the hate surrounding the 10R80 transmission. It's just been so difficult to get to a place where the transmission doesn't bump and thump every other gear. I guess I'm used to the smooth 6R80 from the past. The lack of shift paddles (a gate-keeping tactic) doesn't help matters.

When my Transit 150 has manual shifting, but a modern sports car doesn't receive this feature, I find fault with Ford. The fact that they don't want to give manual shifting without paying a $3500 upcharge for the PP is frankly a slap in the face. I understand I could have made the choice for a stick-shift GT or a PP-equipped Ecoboost, but I purchased this car at a $6000 discount off sticker price ($26,515 total) so cost was my main concern.

I guess my last hope is the option of swapping the steering wheel for one with paddles will enable manual shifting (This worked on the S550 automatic cars).

This is mainly a rant so take it with a grain of salt.

S650 Mustang New S650 owner, is this a mistake? IMG_20240316_152853
Sponsored

psr070187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium w Active Exhaust
I didn't have any problems with my s650, about 2k miles now, however, I have read and researched and I think the first 1k miles or so are stabilizing the engine? For ex, I read not to use cruise in the "break in" period. I didn't push mine past 65 for the first 1k, and I just realized I haven't even touched the paddles. Someone else will have more info I'm sure, but it's not the first complaint I've seen in that manner. Good luck

OP
OP
03SVTOwner

03SVTOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Ecoboot
Appreciate your good advice. There are many things I like about the car, so I need to give it some more time. I did discover that the "Slippery" drive mode seems to give the best shift feel, if I can add shift paddles it would probably take care of most of my complaint on the transmission. I really wish that Ford could snag the programming that GM uses on their version of this gearbox. :D

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium California Special
Appreciate your good advice. There are many things I like about the car, so I need to give it some more time. I did discover that the "Slippery" drive mode seems to give the best shift feel, if I can add shift paddles it would probably take care of most of my complaint on the transmission. I really wish that Ford could snag the programming that GM uses on their version of this gearbox. :D
Makes no sense that Ford didn't add shift paddles to ALL 10R80 equipped vehicles.

OP
OP
03SVTOwner

03SVTOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Ecoboot
Completely agree. If my memory serves even the F150 has manual shifting (which is actually really useful for towing).

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Moral... buy what you want... now you are unhappy and still spent $26k.

OP
OP
03SVTOwner

03SVTOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Ecoboot
There is some truth in this. In my case, I have a large family and other restraints, so spending $40k+ on the car I want wasn't the best idea for me. I also try to live debt-free (aside from this new car). You know how it is, sometimes we buy a car hoping for the best and it take getting used to it and/or coming up with a solution to the problem. I'll keep on keeping on!

ArthurJGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 GTO, '06 GTO, '22 Expy, '22 F-250, '24 Mustang
Completely agree. If my memory serves even the F150 has manual shifting (which is actually really useful for towing).
I've had two 10R Ford trucks, still have one, and the +/- on Ford trucks isn't manual shifting unless it's in a specific manual mode. Normal operation is to take away higher gears because the 10R can't tow in 9th or 10th gear without the transmission overheating, or to reduce vehicle speed on downhills.

OP
OP
03SVTOwner

03SVTOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Ecoboot
I've had two 10R Ford trucks, still have one, and the +/- on Ford trucks isn't manual shifting unless it's in a specific manual mode. Normal operation is to take away higher gears because the 10R can't tow in 9th or 10th gear without the transmission overheating, or to reduce vehicle speed on downhills.
Yeah, I wish I had even that. The base Ecoboost 10R80 doesn't have any sort of manual mode, all you get is P, R, N, D, L.

Rocket Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker, 2024 GT (soon)
no manual control but it should shift "firmer" and the shifts should feel less sloppy or lazy

Crayon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Ecoboost "Maggie"
I'm so glad the S550 has paddles even in base trim, I would definitely get a PP if I could afford it on a S650. Maybe someday?

YamenGT650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2024 PP
Moral... buy what you want... now you are unhappy and still spent $26k.
True, i find it a bit surprising when people pay this much on a brand new car without researching or doing enough walk around with the features.

doesn’t sound like a ford mistake, instead it’s a pure “you” mistake of not knowing what you’re buying.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
No offense, but they only one you have to blame is yourself. You should have performed due diligence before purchasing the vehicle.
Sponsored