• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Mustang EV Coupe Concept Thread

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Why? ( Not being snarky here, I'm just really intrigued by your statement and want to see what you're seeing). Would you propose 1965 proportions, or smaller still ( like Miata-sized?).
And in all fairness, I'll haven't researched the size difference between 1965 Mustangs, Gen 6/7 Mustangs, and Miata's. Please elaborate, I'm interested!
The Mustang has blown up compared to gen 1. Battery packs will already make for a heavier car, so I'm thinking an EV Mustang needs to go on a diet to remain sporty. Just my take.
Sponsored

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
While I don't think I see myself ever buying into a performance EV, I think the most important item for Ford to address in a Mustang EV would be its overall proportions. It needs to be smaller than S550/S650 - way smaller.
I tend to agree. About a week ago I proposed that ford should offer a smaller mustang to slot below the s650 to appeal to younger buyers. But if that isn't in the cards, making the s750 smaller would also suffice. Don't go full BRZ, but maybe something like the current Camaro. Just with better visibility and design appeal. If you're going to chop out length, the overhangs are the place to do it. Would make the car look even better while reducing rotational inertia quite a bit. Maybe take an inch out of the wheelbase and 6 out of the overhangs.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
The Mustang has blown up compared to gen 1. Battery packs will already make for a heavier car, so I'm thinking an EV Mustang needs to go on a diet to remain sporty. Just my take.
Yeah, solid state battery tech really needs to take over before I can feasibly see more EV sports cars. I agree current battery tech is just too heavy. I think we're at a tipping point for vehicle design. For decades it was make everything bigger, now the trend is reversing. Smaller cars are becoming all the rage for a number of reasons.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
The only thing I can think of is to pipe some sound to resemble acceleration and/or maintaining speed inside the car. Whether that sound resembles various V8s from the Mustangs over the years, or an orchestra of adorable kittens meowing...just something energetic to keep me wide awake on a long road trip.
I second evs playing kitten noises. Would give new meaning to the expression "That baby purrs".

RacingRoger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKZ, F-150 Lariat. Future: G6 Mustang GT
You are exactly right! Unfortunately (or fortunately?), one reason it blew up was the added steel required to meet crash test safety requirements. HP should not be an issue for electric motors in the sporty department. The added weight vs. handling, that could be a thing.
Oh, and I looked it up:
1965 Mustang 181.6"L x 68.2"W x 51" H, WB 108"
2022 Mustang 188.3"L x 75.4"W x 54.4"H, WB 107.1"
2022 Miata 154.1"L x 68.3"W x 48.8H, WB 90.9"

But unless you want a 2 seater Mustang, I'm not sure that taking approximately 7" off L & W will be enough of a diet. Every bit helps, but geez....

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,1965 Sunbeam Tiger (Stolen, Elk Heart Lake)
I hope they do a better job with the front end

Last edited:

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
Mazda confirmed the next gen Miata which is close to release will be ICE only most likely. They showed all the generations of the Miata immediately before teasing this concept. So with that in mind, if the next gen Miata looks like that, holy shit sign me up, especially if they're still hovering in the 27-32k mark. I know it's a hardtop, good, makes the Miata even better in terms of looks and performance.

vision-study-model2-l-1669143046.jpg

vision-study-model-l-1669140017.jpg
Do I still sign you up if you get the 188hp four banger?

People want big engines and small cars but the reality these days is that a small car gets a small engine. The GT86 sucks because of its lack luster engine and unfortunately the companies aren't willing to build a light car with a big engine that doesn't cost a fortune anymore.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Do I still sign you up if you get the 188hp four banger?

People want big engines and small cars but the reality these days is that a small car gets a small engine. The GT86 sucks because of its lack luster engine and unfortunately the companies aren't willing to build a light car with a big engine that doesn't cost a fortune anymore.
Bro, my current daily driver is a '09 Kia Rio with 110 hp. Everything is gray plastic, the interior light fell off, the windows and door locks are hand operated, it shakes like a hooker in church, the trunk fills with water everytime it rains, the suspension creaks everytime it hits a bump, the brakes squeak everytime you let off the brake pedal, the car groans when sitting still, the transmission jolts when shifting. The list goes on and on. The Miata with "only" 188 hp would feel like a supercar by comparison. Our maverick hybrid certainly does, it uses that very proven and durable Miata 2.5 engine. It's a rocket, 0-60 in only about 7.5 seconds. That's so much faster than your average truck, especially a small one. A Miata can do 0-60 in what? 6-7 seconds? That's perfectly fine with me. Want something manageable as I ease into car culture.

Tonystark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang 4-Turbo w/Pony package
I don't get the whole HP and speed thing. Why is that needed? To feel good about oneself? 188 HP in a small car is plenty for street use, unless you want to potentially lose your driving privilege altogether. I had an '06 Miata and it was a blast to drive. If the new Miata looks like that above, I may be all over it, as well, as a second car to my 'Stang.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
I don't get the whole HP and speed thing. Why is that needed? To feel good about oneself? 188 HP in a small car is plenty for street use, unless you want to potentially lose your driving privilege altogether. I had an '06 Miata and it was a blast to drive. If the new Miata looks like that above, I may be all over it, as well, as a second car to my 'Stang.
More corner adjustability, better passing ability, low-effort straight line entertainment, ego padding and keeping up with the Jones’s Camry next door

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
How and why did this Mustang EV thread turn in to a Miata love fest?
Because Miatas are love, Miatas are life. But in all seriousness, because it was about the topic of an EV mustang, which spread to discussing ev sports cars, tying into Mazdas latest announcement about it's new evs, and the Miata they teased.

Mizzle51

Green Machine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Prem 401A PP1
And that's the problem with focus groups..............I say keep the proportions!

Long nose, short tail. 2+2 seating........that's what makes a pony car for me.

Back in 2019, Ford and Webasto revealed the Lithium concept at SEMA. This is what a EV Mustang coupe should look like (i.e no different to its ICE sisters)

https://www.motortrend.com/features/ford-unveils-first-s550-electric-mustang-sema-2019/

Lithium 2.jpg
I so would have bough a "Lithium EV trim" S550. Ford missed out making that a one off.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 & 2010 Honda Fit Sport
When the ICE goes away, so should the Mustang. Its been a long run and the defining essence of the Mustang has always been a particular sound of the V8. Without that the Mustang just will not exist. Ford can build any number of EV performance cars just can no longer call it a Mustang.
Many will disagree, but think of it this way. The P51 Mustang, the Spitfire, the P38 were iconic aircraft, but no one would name modern jets after these aircraft.

Better to remember the original than to give the name to something that no longer meets the one thing that defined it.
Then again, Ford did recycle the "Lightning" name (F-150 5.4L supercharged) as well as "Maverick" (formerly 4 door sedan); neither resembling the current model, but at least the Lightning was still an F-150.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429, Tesla Model 3
I honestly wouldn't complain if something like this was developed.... Follow Dodge in making a one size fits all "sedan" that can be either 2 or 4 door (hasn't been shown yet for dodge but likely will be the case) with a "hatch" for more usability. This is the only way I see the mustang living on in any meaningful way for Ford....

Specialty models/2 door variant could be more track oriented with weight/size reductions since an EV platform allows for more flexibility in terms of exterior characteristics.

S650 Mustang Mustang EV Coupe Concept Thread 2023-Ford-Mustang-4-Door-blue-Carscoops-5
Sponsored