• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Driving Tips - Manual Transmission

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
^^ good points there! Thanks for your insight! I will continue to enjoy my ride and gear shifts! Imma turn that auto rev match off !
Where is that “auto rev match off” mentioned? Some say to turn off the auto rev match so what is that? Is that on the DH or just GTs only? Is that for automatic or stick shift?

Just before the stop light or sign, I just let off the gas with my right foot and my left foot goes on the clutch and fully stop with the brake with my right foot and then put it in first gear while clutch is still holding down! When ready to go just slowly let go the clutch and step the gas to go!
Sponsored

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Rev matching is for manuals only and it blips the gas when you downshift. It probably is helpful for somebody new to a manual but I found it a pain in the back side because I sometimes downshift a bit before I am ready to let the clutch out.

OP
OP
infinitemberstang

infinitemberstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse - Blue Ember - MT
Where is that “auto rev match off” mentioned? Some say to turn off the auto rev match so what is that? Is that on the DH or just GTs only? Is that for automatic or stick shift?

Just before the stop light or sign, I just let off the gas with my right foot and my left foot goes on the clutch and fully stop with the brake with my right foot and then put it in first gear while clutch is still holding down! When ready to go just slowly let go the clutch and step the gas to go!
Holding the clutch all the way? Will that not wear out the pads??

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
Pads are cheap to replace on the clutch pedals if that’s what you’re talking about! I’ve had Audi Fox and Cobra 2003 and never needed pads replaced!

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
Pads are cheap to replace on the clutch pedals if that’s what you’re talking about! I’ve had Audi Fox and Cobra 2003 and never needed pads replaced!
To infinitemberstang: You said “pads” in your message. “Holding the clutch all the way? Will that not wear out the pads??”!!!!

Last edited:

Dxm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
So - been a stick shift person for over 20 years now and I have always rolled in neutral just before the red light and/or anticipate stopping. Obviously I am careful and check my surroundings and back before rolling in neutral.
I was just browsing through the ford owners manual and came across this -

“Do not shift into neutral when you are braking or when your vehicle is slowing down.”

What harm does it cause is what I want to know. I have had 4 different manual transmission cars till date and have always had the same driving style without any issues and curious now as this is my first pony!

Thank you!
Coasting in neutral is dangerous as you can get hit from behind and fly forward. If I’m stopping at a light I press the brake, and at the point that my engine would stall out, I shift in neutral and wait for the light to turn green again. Shifting into the first gear to anticipating the green light. I have my foot on the brake the whole time. If Ted light is too long, I use the hand brake.

I read somewhere that in the UK you will fail your driver road test if you coast in neutral or are standing at an intersection in neutral, unless you engage your parking brake.

in terms of engine braking, I mainly downshift when I anticipate slower speeds up ahead. For example, if I’m on the highway, I will shift to third gear as I’m about to exit. This slows me down and gets me into the right gear for city driving ahead of time.
I definitely use engine braking if I’m driving down a long steep hill. Put my car in 3d gear or sometimes 2nd to save the brakes.

Dxm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Rev matching is for manuals only and it blips the gas when you downshift. It probably is helpful for somebody new to a manual but I found it a pain in the back side because I sometimes downshift a bit before I am ready to let the clutch out.
I disabled rev matching. Along with auto brights and auto wiper blades.

By the way to minimize the wear of the clutch and mainly synchros, you need to double clufch when down shifting. I try to do it when I can.

If I’m downshifting from 6th to 3rd, I do as follows:

press clutch, shift into neutral, release clutch, add gas
(and continue holding the gas pedal), press clutch, shift into the 3rd at the right RPMs, release clutch. End result—I shifted without any lurching.

It takes practice knowing how much gas to add when downshifting. I also rev up the right amount sometimes, rather than holding the gas pedal when downshifting.
Just trial and error. Right now I’m still not 💯 used to the timing of the clutch that releases too smoothly for my taste. This throws me off when performing fast downshifting double-clutching. The dealer confirmed my clutch pedal is fine.

My source of knowledge is watching a bunch of YouTube videos 17 years ago on how to drive manual, as well as driving manual since 2007.

Last edited:

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
I have read that towing a manual transmission in neutral will destroy it as there is not enough oil splash from the gears with the engine not turning, but with the engine is spinning there should be enough oil splash to lubricate the gears and synchros in neutral, right? I'm also a "coast in neutral driver" unless I'm engine braking down a steep grade. Any techs on the site care to chime in? I certainly don't want to damage the MT-82 this early in the game.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I have read that towing a manual transmission in neutral will destroy it as there is not enough oil splash from the gears with the engine not turning, but with the engine is spinning there should be enough oil splash to lubricate the gears and synchros in neutral, right? I'm also a "coast in neutral driver" unless I'm engine braking down a steep grade. Any techs on the site care to chime in? I certainly don't want to damage the MT-82 this early in the game.
I’ve heard along those lines in regards to an automatic.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is one of the great things about a manual transmission. Variety of styles. I’m always downshifting when slowing, usually the only time I don’t is if it’s an emergency all stop - clutch in full brake point and aim cause that’s all that’s left to do, drop a gear and be ready to release the clutch as soon as possible otherwise I’m using the transmission to modulate speed almost as frequently as I do with the gas pedal.

by time I enter the turn I want to be in my exit gear

one note of caution about aggressive engine braking though - brake lights - the one behind has no idea.

Last edited:

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Coasting in neutral is dangerous
Freewheeling. Although I will admit this particular feat may have been accomplished while coasting down a long steep windy road once or twice - just gotta make sure to put it back in the correct gear.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just read a few articles that indicate when coasting (in gear), fuel injectors are turned off (saving fuel - theoretically) until you are stopped. I don't know if this is true.
Do they indicate how long one is able to ‘coast’ before auto stop (ops didn’t mean that ) of the injectors?

Dxm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
one note of caution about aggressive engine braking though - brake lights - the one behind has no idea.
Oh yes! I always tap my brakes to signal to the cars behind me if I'm slowing down...

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
It depends on how much drag there is in the clutch. There could be enough to keep the gears tuning and it wouldn't be a problem. On the other hand, sometimes I start the car and it's in the wrong gear so I try to shift to the correct one. I may find the gears don't line up so It won't go into the correct gear. I need to place the transmission in neutral, release and press the clutch in to get things spinning so I can shift into the correct gear. Very few transmissions allow 4 wheel down towing and you need to check the manufacture to see if a car is able to do it. Often when somebody wants to tow behind an RV, they take the driveshaft off before towing. Some front wheel cars can do 4 wheel down but often they use a small trailer that keeps the front wheels off the ground.
if the owners manual states flat bed towing, there isn't another way to tow with out potential damage. It isn't a good idea to drive the car in neutral unless you have no other option. It's unsafe and can damage the transmission.
Secondary, in older cars, keeping the engine turning would keep the power steering and brakes functional so you can maintain control of the vehicle. While new cars have electric controls, it might still be important to keep the alternator turning.
There are good driving habits and the best way to make sure you use them all the time is to never make exceptions to the rule.
Sponsored