• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Does S650 have cylinder deactivation?

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
You don't want cylinder deactivation when cruising. Saves gas mileage but is detrimental to your engine. GM has it was a big problem in suv's and trucks. They actually made a defeat module you could plug into the obd port. I've seen it cause many problems. Proper oil viscosity and consumption being one of many. Not how an ice engine works properly.
The complexity outweighs the benefit. Purposefully introduce a misfire but while cruising as opposed to wot.
Sponsored

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
I never head anyone call what an auto does "skip shift" but yes many are programed to skip a gear, both up and downshifting.
Skip-shift with autos has been around for decades. The opposite of you, I never heard if it call that for manuals, only autos. Bottom line, it skips gears to improve fuel economy, regardless of what you, me, or anyone else calls it.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Skip-shift with autos has been around for decades. The opposite of you, I never heard if it call that for manuals, only autos. Bottom line, it skips gears to improve fuel economy, regardless of what you, me, or anyone else calls it.
At times it would catch you crawling / getting stuck moving through an intersection and since it locked 2 and 3 out you get a choice between 1 (what’s this doing) and 4 (get the out of the way)

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Yes, but nobody asked about automatic transmissions. ThreePedalPlow asked about the manual, you "reacted" with a laughyface and went on to tell him it wasn't a thing with a manual.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, but nobody asked about automatic transmissions. ThreePedalPlow asked about the manual, you "reacted" with a laughyface and went on to tell him it wasn't a thing with a manual.
So what? Are you the arbiter of who can post and what they can post or respond to? Please ...

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't say you couldn't post. Just suggesting you look less foolish if you did less of it.
Your subjective opinion is duly noted. And dismissed.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

keithwalton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue Ember Dark Horse on order, Mercedes SLC
The whole point of a manual is that you get to chose what gear you're in at all times. Seems bonkers that they'd force you to shift from 1st to 4th. I suppose its easier to skip two gears than one but that's just nuts.

As for cylinder deactivation being harder on engines ...
This is entirely true for cam in block engines. due to valve overlap the torque to turn an 8 cylinders worth of valves is very easy as the closing of one valve helps the opening of another.
When in 4 cylinder mode there are four distinct sine (ish) waves of torque per cam revolution.
(intake of one cylinder lines up with exhaust of another) this is particularly hard on the cam phaser.
The gen 4 hemi was limited to 3k rpm in 4 cylinder mode due to excessive cam torsionals

The coyote however has 4 camshafts, which are essentially in 4 cylinder mode all of the time but each shaft is only seeing half the load.
But this is in part why the engine uses cam torque assisted (cta) phasers as the peaks / troughs are there in the torque.
Running 2 cylinders per cam will halve phaser performance but shouldn't be any worse on the cam.
The other issue with the cam in block engines is the deactivating lifters are nowhere near as stiff as regular lifters, i'm not sure how the f150 deactivates cylinders but if it's in the rocker system they wont be as robust as regular rockers.

If you think V8 - V4 or I4 Cylinder deactivation is bad you should see the effects of 'skip fire' (rolling cylinder deactivation between 2-6 cylinders active) it was brutal and no wonder the engine was abandoned.

Almost forgot the other rough cylinder deactivation is fords 3 cylinder engine that drops down to 2

Rocket Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker, 2024 GT (soon)
corvettes (manual) have had the skip shift for over 30 years (since the C4)

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)