• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

DH tramlining badly

YessirMiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Darkhorse
I plan to mainly track my DH, but I also wish to drive it 2-3 times a week when the weather's good. The problem is the car is tramlining so badly, it's kinda dangerous sometimes. I have the Trofeo's and I wanted to know how much a new set of tires and wheels would improve the drivability on the streets. If anyone DD their DH with only summer tires, please share your thoughts. (for context, I live in Canada and the roads are trash)
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I can't speak to your setup, but I can of Mach owners with HPs (305/30, 315/30 w/Michelin Cup2s).

Yes, you will benefit with different tires.

Trofeos and Cup2s are great tires, for the track or spirited driving. They're wide and tacky. It's what they're made for and your existing setup is doing exactly what it's designed to do: stick to the road much better than a more common street tire.

But what makes them great for performance driving is not what one typically needs for DD or common street surfaces.

Options:

- Find a more streetable tire that will fit the existing rims

- Change rims and tires

The first option might be a bit of an issue. Given the rim's width, your tire choices could be limited. A smaller width will gift you greater availability in size and compound type, but might not fit the rim, or be the optimum size for the existing rim

The second option, while more expensive, will allow you to go with a setup specific to your roads, seasons and driving style. It could also allow you to rotate the tires (if square). In addition, you'd preserve the factory rims, or, keep them for track day.

Overall goal would be to maintain the circumference +/- 3% from factory.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Attachments

JAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
My car was tramlining too with 305 wide tires on all 4 corners.
It was very unsettling at first.
Then I got used to it. And hardly notice it.

I would get different wheels and tires for what you want to do. (Apex VS-5RS 19x11 ET 52 for example), and put Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for daily driving on the Ford wheels.
If you get a track alignment done you might get 3 track days out of your trofeos.
For track alignment values, I suggest you join the track Mustangs online forums. Key takeaway is max camber and zero toe up front for our cars. Otherwise the front tires melt real fast. What is your home track?

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
You all dont know what real tramlining is .....take a drive in my car lol
Sponsored