• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Dealership woes - Am I expecting too much?

OP
OP
Dave_E

Dave_E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse (HP)
An update in case anyone is interested. I spoke to the service manager today who at least was upfront with me. I'll start with the good bit - absolutely no denial that the damage occurred on the lift. That's about where the good news ends.

He said he'd heard about the car before it went in the first time and his initial reaction was "don't touch it". Said he knew they'd spend hours chasing a noise they couldn't solve, and had a high chance of damaging it which is what's happened. Said he wished he'd listened to his instinct.

They are refusing to replace the side skirt. He tried telling me the damage was underneath the car so couldn't be seen. (That is not true, it is visible from the side). He also said you're going to get rock chips under there anyway, and that small amounts of damage are acceptable. Basically saying that I'm being too picky.

I reminded him I'd given instructions several times not to put the car on a lift, and if they chose to do that against my wishes then no amount of damage is acceptable. Especially on a brand new car.

He also told me they don't want to see the car again to continue the investigation into the noise, and to take it back to the dealership I bought it from. He said they are not equipped to deal with the car. (I'm assuming he means the ride height šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø) He said what has happened was "inevitable". So all of those hours I've sat there are wasted. Nothing has been solved and I'm walking away with a damaged car.

I told him I'm happy to go back to the dealer I bought it from (honestly that's my preference at this point anyway). But while it's there I'm going to have them fit a new side skirt and use small claims court to recover the cost. I'm not fighting with them. Very confident I'll recover the cost in court, and honestly I don't want them anywhere near the car after all this. I think he feels the same to be fair. Going to quit the phone calls now and move it to writing.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jimbo67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Matter, PP, NPP
An update in case anyone is interested. I spoke to the service manager today who at least was upfront with me. I'll start with the good bit - absolutely no denial that the damage occurred on the lift. That's about where the good news ends.

He said he'd heard about the car before it went in the first time and his initial reaction was "don't touch it". Said he knew they'd spend hours chasing a noise they couldn't solve, and had a high chance of damaging it which is what's happened. Said he wished he'd listened to his instinct.

They are refusing to replace the side skirt. He tried telling me the damage was underneath the car so couldn't be seen. (That is not true, it is visible from the side). He also said you're going to get rock chips under there anyway, and that small amounts of damage are acceptable. Basically saying that I'm being too picky.

I reminded him I'd given instructions several times not to put the car on a lift, and if they chose to do that against my wishes then no amount of damage is acceptable. Especially on a brand new car.

He also told me they don't want to see the car again to continue the investigation into the noise, and to take it back to the dealership I bought it from. He said they are not equipped to deal with the car. (I'm assuming he means the ride height šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø) He said what has happened was "inevitable". So all of those hours I've sat there are wasted. Nothing has been solved and I'm walking away with a damaged car.

I told him I'm happy to go back to the dealer I bought it from (honestly that's my preference at this point anyway). But while it's there I'm going to have them fit a new side skirt and use small claims court to recover the cost. I'm not fighting with them. Very confident I'll recover the cost in court, and honestly I don't want them anywhere near the car after all this. I think he feels the same to be fair. Going to quit the phone calls now and move it to writing.
Unbelievable, how are they even in business! Self-inflicted wounds are one thing, saying it would have happened anyway? No small amount of damage is acceptable when there wasn't any damage on the vehicle when it was brought in. I HOPE someone at Ford addresses this. This infuriates me I work in the industry; those statements are ridiculous. The customer always come first where I work.

ZBOBMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible
Road and Track published a great article a few years back that I think addresses the situation pretty accurately. None of it excuses the poor customer service but it does give a different perspective.

I try to find the middle ground with my local dealership. For example; I know Iā€™m a ā€œpickyā€ (pain in ass šŸ˜) customer so I try to come in when they are not as busy. I also try to work with the same sales person or service advisor every time. We build a bit of a relationship, and they know if theyā€™re reasonable and honest, Iā€™m and easy sale.

Road & Track - Why dealers hate selling to enthusiasts
Excellent article. I grew up in delivering good customer service as part of my career path. I cant believe some of the stories I hear. But sometimes its the customers fault. When trying to help a customer and they seem so intent on confrontation rather than a solution, I can understand. As a service provider, I understand sometimes that a customer is upset. Not at me, but the fact they have a problem. It is not personal. They are not mad at me. They just want to vent there frustration and to be listened to. In those situations, understanding and empathy goes a long way. That is what lacking in our service oriented society.

Sorry for the long post.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 , 2012 Boss 302
I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, it's just another car to them. My dealership is very good about taking care of my car. I've known the service manager for years and he knows how picky I am. Obviously, most dealerships aren't that way. I find it interesting that car manufacturers target "enthusiasts" by hyping their cars, but do very little to continue that after the sale. Can you imagine taking a $850+k Ford GT to a local dealership?
Well back in 2009 I took my 2005 Ford GT into a dealership for emission test. I said Iā€™ll drive it into the bay. The tech opens the door and hits the machine . Lucky no dent and I just shook my head at him. He said sorry. I drove it out of the bay. Never had to take it back. there

S650 Mustang Dealership woes - Am I expecting too much? 9F077424-071E-4BA3-8B1D-7795AAC6685C

DevilDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT on order
Well back in 2009 I took my 2005 Ford GT into a dealership for emission test. I said Iā€™ll drive it into the bay. The tech opens the door and hits the machine . Lucky no dent and I just shook my head at him. He said sorry. I drove it out of the bay. Never had to take it back. there

9F077424-071E-4BA3-8B1D-7795AAC6685C.jpeg
Beautiful car. :like: Do you still have it?

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 , 2012 Boss 302

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
An update in case anyone is interested. I spoke to the service manager today who at least was upfront with me
Was his name Russell Gineo?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
I live in the South Bay in S. California. My dealer is South Bay Ford which services Manhattan Beach, El Segundo, in other words they are pretty exclusive areas. They treat the cars with a lot of care. Also, it depends on you. You have to let your SA know that you are a picky Son of a Bitch. Everytime my car went to the dealer I did a walk around with them so to put them on notice that I CARE!!

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 , 2012 Boss 302
How do you like your C8? Coming from a Ford GT and Boss 302 Im curious to get your input ....
The 05 Ford GT was a very scary car to drive. Many stories about people losing control in a blink of an eye. No Nannieā€™s and terrible tires. Mix in low temperatures and itā€™s a nightmare waiting to happen. Plenty have been wrecked. Parts are another problem Because there are not enough to go around. People will hoard parts for future profits or for their own cars. I didnā€™t have any parts problem. But over time it would have been an expensive repair if you could even locate such parts.

The C8 has all the modern technology including tires so it just hooks up all the time. A little bit of understeer will keep you out of trouble. Itā€™s just a car that you donā€™t have to be constantly watching yourself every time you drive it fast. The problem is no manual for us old school guys. Thats the main reason I picked up a low mileage 2012 Boss. Love the sound of downshifting and hear the engine backfire. Itā€™s just a different experience from the C8.

However I did install the optional GM Borla exhaust which it desperately needed. Now with the rear window down you hear the great V8 sound especially with the super quick shifts from the DCT trans. Both cars are a blast to play with. The C8 feels more like a Saturn rocket lifting off the pad into space. It just throws you back in the seat and you stay there until you lift off the throttle. 2.9 to 60 is very easy to perform time and time again. Ok thatā€™s it

Last edited:

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger 6.4 Widebody 6 speed
I think you meant to say a little bit of understeer to keep you out of trouble because oversteer gets you into troubleā€¦I also understand why you bought a 197 Boss 302 ! After a testdrive of a C8 I thought that feels like a comfortable cruiser and not exciting like a sportscar shouldā€¦My then SS1LE Camaro felt more like a sportscar when it came to handling and manual than a C8 I rememberā€¦And the visibility was equally bad šŸ¤£

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
I contact Ford Headquarters and file a complaint. This affects their rating as a dealership and thatā€™s the only way this will get resolved. Iā€™d also find a new dealer and never let them drive your car without you being in it.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Every dealer is going to have a few erroneous moments... but THAT... my word!
Sponsored