• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Break in period / technique for brakes?

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Mustang GT Vert , 2024 Mustang GT Vert
Just wondering if there is a suggestion for breaking in brakes before abusing them a little bit. I'm easy on my brakes in general but I'm curious what these Brembos are about and kind of just want to stand on the brake pedal at 70 MPH and see what happens 😅
Sponsored

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Atlas Blue
Just wondering if there is a suggestion for breaking in brakes before abusing them a little bit. I'm easy on my brakes in general but I'm curious what these Brembos are about and kind of just want to stand on the brake pedal at 70 MPH and see what happens 😅
No brake in needed for the brakes. If you have the PP you have 6 piston fronts and 4 piston rears. You’ll lock All 4 up if you stand on it going 70, I’ve avoided a lot of bad situations due to the brembos doing an amazing job. Only con, they are brake dust machines. Wheels will get filthy from spotless from one good drive lol

Lidsoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Darkhorse #0627
If you care about burnishing your brakes you can do that before hand it’s 314 in the manual. You should be fine aslong as you don’t hold on them for long after at a stop.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
No brake in needed for the brakes. If you have the PP you have 6 piston fronts and 4 piston rears. You’ll lock All 4 up if you stand on it going 70, I’ve avoided a lot of bad situations due to the brembos doing an amazing job. Only con, they are brake dust machines. Wheels will get filthy from spotless from one good drive lol
Unlikely you will lock them up because you will trigger the ABS system. On my 96 I probably only triggered it 3 times in 27 years. That said, with good brakes it will feel like your standing the car on its nose with dry, clean pavement. The tires I run are good but I am sure what these mustangs come with is far more sticky.

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
I've always heard to brake gently for the first 300 miles. Avoid hard stops and slamming on brakes to allow the pads to seat to the rotors properly. Allegedly prolongs brake pad and rotor life.

DevilDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT on order
Is anyone thinking about changing to low dust ceramic brake pads? I've got a little over 150 miles on my car and the wheels are covered with brake dust.

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
Is anyone thinking about changing to low dust ceramic brake pads? I've got a little over 150 miles on my car and the wheels are covered with brake dust.
That's a possibility I would consider if the brake dust doesn't ease up after break in. I've done that before with other makes I've owned, but usually my Ford vehicles quit being quite so dusty after a thousand miles or so.

DevilDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT on order
That's a possibility I would consider if the brake dust doesn't ease up after break in. I've done that before with other makes I've owned, but usually my Ford vehicles quit being quite so dusty after a thousand miles or so.
Thank you. :like: I put low dust ceramic pads on my Z06's, and they were great.

dfwford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Speaking as a man myself, I personally don't know of any man that isn't heavy on the pedals. And it's not on purpose, but mostly by virtue of nature with us having relatively bigger feet and a relatively more muscular physique (thus putting more weight on the pedals)

So you might *SAY* you're easy on the brakes, but I'm not sure I buy it! 😜

In all seriousness, I wouldn't worry about breaking in the brakes. They're good for 30,000 miles easily and Brembos are built specifically to take a hell of a beating since they're used on sports/performance cars
Sponsored