• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

10-Speed Feels Hesitant to Shift

Paulie820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Lancer, 24' GT in Atlas Blue
For automatic owners- I recently did my first oil change at 3k miles, this happened to coincide with the most recent OTA update.

Since these happened I’ve noticed the transmission feels almost a bit hesitant to shift- pretty much happening at every other gear. Having driven a few months I’ve more less gotten used to the shift points so it’s a little awkward. It almost feels like when the car was trying to learn my driving habits when I first got the car.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does the computer adjust to new oil or could the “learning” have been reset? Could the OTA update have changed something?
Sponsored

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
I have the 6.3.2 update and my car shifts butter smooth. Best A10 I have ever driven.

HäagenDawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
Only 600 miles on mine, but twice now I have noticed while doing a U-turn, it feels like it's almost stuck in first gear, and even without giving it a ton of gas climbed to about 4k rpm before shifting and was normal after that.

There have been other times, when the car is cold, the gears just feel a bit hesitant but nothing crazy, nothing I wouldn't just equate to the car not being at operating temperature.

Other than that, it's been perfect.

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
Butter smooth for me but like any tranny, you can confuse it by letting off the gas when it wants to do something or same for stepping on the gas at the same time the tranny is going to shift or do something. It's all about timing.

24BlueStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang EcoBoost
Mine at times takes way too long to upshift after a 3/4 or full throttle speed up. It’ll hang up there around 4K for 30 seconds sometimes and that’s even after 1300 miles on it

jimbo67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Matter, PP, NPP
Mine at times takes way too long to upshift after a 3/4 or full throttle speed up. It’ll hang up there around 4K for 30 seconds sometimes and that’s even after 1300 miles on it
It usually won't do that in regular mode. It will do it in trac mode but you have to get used to the shift points with the gas pedal.

24BlueStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang EcoBoost
It usually won't do that in regular mode. It will do it in trac mode but you have to get used to the shift points with the gas pedal.
Mine stays in Sport mode every time I drive it. I’ve only been in track mode once or twice but for a short period of time.

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
If I use the pedal to the floor in sport mode and bring a few shifts up to say 5k then back off the RPM's will hang for a short period. I believe its expecting to continue back up to a higher RPM. Ford has done extensive improvements to this transmission since it first it was introduced. I love the way it shifts. Remember you should drive your car in consistent manner and not change from agressive to Granny as it tries to learn your driving style.

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
I've never used track mode but sport mode is definitely different than normal. More aggressive for sure and in my opinion much different when driven softly...

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
If I use the pedal to the floor in sport mode and bring a few shifts up to say 5k then back off the RPM's will hang for a short period. I believe its expecting to continue back up to a higher RPM. Ford has done extensive improvements to this transmission since it first it was introduced. I love the way it shifts. Remember you should drive your car in consistent manner and not change from agressive to Granny as it tries to learn your driving style.
Yea, it's way different. I've driven a few s550 including a Mach or 2 and the tranny is a completely different beast IMHO....
Sponsored