• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

1 set of UHP All Seasons OR summers + winters?

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I don't any longer drive my convertibles in winter so they wear summer only tires. I also have a 2022 F-150 that I drive in winter.

Back when I had one vehicle and it was a RWD car I always have two complete wheel/tire sets.
  • I have the tools and advanced skills required for removing and reattaching lug nuts so I can leave the summer set on right up to the night before the first snow and go back to summer whenever I want if the weather breaks even temporarily in the spring....no dependence on anyone else.
  • Having a single set of wheels and swaping tires twice a year is just about a guaranteed recipe for damaged wheels plus I have no desire to sit in a plastic chair for an hour reading a 7 year old Car and Driver twice a year.
  • There are a few all seasons that perform OK but they are still mediocre performance tires and mediocre at best winter weather tires.
  • It's easy to find take-off OEM wheels relatively cheap and get a set of true winter tires mounted. If they don't have a ton of miles, they will sell easy if you later trade the car.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MidLifeManifustang

MidLifeManifustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 GT Convertible, 21 Explorer ST
I don't any longer drive my convertibles in winter so they wear summer only tires. I also have a 2022 F-150 that I drive in winter.

Back when I had one vehicle and it was a RWD car I always have two complete wheel/tire sets.
  • I have the tools and advanced skills required for removing and reattaching lug nuts so I can leave the summer set on right up to the night before the first snow and go back to summer whenever I want if the weather breaks even temporarily in the spring....no dependence on anyone else.
  • Having a single set of wheels and swaping tires twice a year is just about a guaranteed recipe for damaged wheels plus I have no desire to sit in a plastic chair for an hour reading a 7 year old Car and Driver twice a year.
  • There are a few all seasons that perform OK but they are still mediocre performance tires and mediocre at best winter weather tires.
  • It's easy to find take-off OEM wheels relatively cheap and get a set of true winter tires mounted. If they don't have a ton of miles, they will sell easy if you later trade the car.
Thanks! Lots of good points. I should clarify that my situation differs a bit in that I also own a 2021 Explorer ST with its own separate set of winter tires on police steelies and *that's* my foul-weather driver. I'm just trying to maximize the number of days I can enjoy the Mustang throughout the many dry, sunny, but too-cold-for-summer-compounds winter days we get in Toronto.

There shall be no driving my convertible in the snow and salt unless I'm really caught out by surprise.

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GTP, PP,AVE,MR. 2018 Mustang GT PP1,
I'm in a similar climate as you are, I never drive in snow but I do take it out on dry days, I bought a set of Michelin PS ASs, I used them on my 2018 also, they perform really well in all temperatures. I put the P0s in my basement and will probably sell them.

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
against a good UHP A/S you're gonna need a less than TW200 summer in good and hot conditions to really notice anything. eg. when I swap my PS A/S for Cup2, I can tell there is a clear difference in lateral grip. I swap because I can. Not because for street driving it is in any way needed.

Swapping for say the PS4S yeah the difference is there but it's rather more subtle.

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang
How wide are the PP rear wheels?

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang
When you get below 50 degrees its pretty much just spin city on summer tires so why even drive the car.

After you add some power you're going to want two more rear wheels with drag radials for those cruise/race nights...

OP
OP
MidLifeManifustang

MidLifeManifustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
MidLifeManifustang

MidLifeManifustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's fine for a 255. MFG recommends an 8.5-10" wheel
True. But I like the way there's a bit of rubber going wider than the wheel right now to guard a bit against curb rash. Also if I'm getting the same size tire all around, I'd like to be able to rotate back to front without remounting/balancing. The more I think about it, the less I like the stock wheels for winter tires. They'd be better for summer use in a two-set scenario. 🤔 If I later decide to splurge on a wider set of summers, I'll probably sell the stock wheels.
Sponsored