• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

1/4 mile time with top up vs top down ?

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Mustang GT Vert , 2024 Mustang GT Vert
Just curious what you think the difference in 1/4 mile times would be with the top up vs the top down. Motortrend ran a 12.2 @ 116.8mph in an automatic transmission car. I'm assuming this was with the top up. The car feels significantly slower to me when the top is down once speeds increase. The way the leather in the back seat shifts around at speed leads me to believe a tonneau cover may help with this quite a bit.
Sponsored

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang
Would love to see a back to back dragy test 60-130 isn't the same as a 1/4 mile but it would still be a good test

OP
OP
ThreePedalPlow

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Mustang GT Vert , 2024 Mustang GT Vert
Would love to see a back to back dragy test 60-130 isn't the same as a 1/4 mile but it would still be a good test
I was thinking the same thing. I don't have a draggy. I thought it was just an app but I think there is some hardware involved too.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Don’t forget windows up or down when top down?

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr

TheCur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wild Cherry Tintcoat ZL1 M6
I was thinking the same thing. I don't have a draggy. I thought it was just an app but I think there is some hardware involved too.

No there's a actual unit, it's about 1" x 2" x 3" and weighs maybe 6 oz. that connects to your phone. It's neat. 4 car guys (incl. me) all chipped in $25 and bought one to play with. Regchargable battery inside that will last quite a while.

To the OP's question: I saw negligible differences in 0-60 times in my 17 SS convertible when I tried it back to back a few times, but I somehow suspect that difference in aero starts playing a much bigger role as speed and drag go up.

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Some friends and I have been doing a track rental for 15 years (very sad though, the track canceled our reservation this year just a month before our scheduled day).

Since it is a private rental, they have let us do a lot of things - like the year 2 of us took our mountain bikes down the track. They also let us go with the top down on our convertibles - at first just 2 of us who had roll bars, but then they allowed all convertibles to make a pass.

With the top down we lost about 0.2 in the 1/4 mile as I recall. Can't remember the effect on the MPH.

But making a pass with the top down was a lot of fun!

TripleshotMcC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Premium Convertible
I used to run my 2015 up to 120+ on a road near my home where I have clear line-of-sight for 2.5 miles. Was solid as a rock and very fun.
My 2024's windshield starts to shutter pretty badly at anything over 80 and putting up the windows doesn't help. When the top is up, she's ready for 125, but not topless.
Anyone else experience this?

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
I used to run my 2015 up to 120+ on a road near my home where I have clear line-of-sight for 2.5 miles. Was solid as a rock and very fun.
My 2024's windshield starts to shutter pretty badly at anything over 80 and putting up the windows doesn't help. When the top is up, she's ready for 125, but not topless.
Top down at 100 and no windshield vibration that I noticed. It was only to get around some slower cars so it wasn’t at that speed for more than a few seconds

jeffnudi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang EcoBoost Prem. Conv., 2022 Mav Hy XLT
Top down and over 90 a few times for several miles and no shake at all.
Sponsored